BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a new F10 and was expecting a modest (not huge) improvement over the E60 but I just didn't feel it. The F10 is a nice car but it feels less nimble, firm, and responsive than my 550i.

The F10 has more techno gadgets, is very comfortable inside, and has a smooth ride a lot like my wife's Lexus. It was disappointing to me since I was expecting more of ride upgrade and it's just not there. When an Audi A7 rides better than a BMW 550i the planets have realigned. Has BMW decided to pursue more of a luxury path than their historical path? I hope not.

· Registered
148 Posts
And I hope - yes.
Whatever they do with so called "sport" setup ( seats, suspension) does not belong to type of vehicle like 535/550, F10 is a progress in the right direction.
I own E60 550i myself and completely tired of uncomfortable sport seats which also prong to sagging too soon and the suspension which forces me to study every imperfection on the road with my butt.
If I wanted a car for a race track I would buy M3/M5, I don't need such "sport" on my daily car.
The only thing I hate about F10 is steering - it's completely dead.
I also can't understand why they not offering their dual clutch tranny as an option on non-m cars - I hate their torque converter based jerky unreliable sluggish trannies.

· Registered
727 Posts
Like HOOCH I am not a fan of a very rough ride on wooden wagon wheels. Crisp handling and great engine response is all I need and get. My new F10 is more forgiving on rough roads but still handles extremely well. The steering is the same as my E60, possibly because Xdrive steering is different from RWD caes(or so I read). The F10 seems much bigger as well.

· Registered
2015 535i, 2017 X3 x35
1,823 Posts
I'm afraid that BMW is drifting into the land of the dead. I had an '03 540 with the M Sport package (it wasn't an M, it had M wheels, M Steering Wheel, aero package and 90% of the M suspension) and it was a blast to drive - the ride was "stiff"). I now have an '08 535 with the Sport Package and while it drives very well, it can't compare to the '03 - the ride is smoother though. I can only hope that while BMW is softening up their cars they are also pursueing cars aimed at the enthusiast and not just drivers who want to go from point A to point B. I, my self, want to go from point A to point B but pass through point C through M on the way.

· Giant Robot
619 Posts
The E60 with sport suspension is the luxury canyon carver. The F10 with sport suspension is often as fast or faster, but not as involving. Clarkson and May think the F10 is the best car out, especially the 530d.

· Registered
168 Posts
I love my E60... just wish there was better performance to be gained from a tune (which there's hardly any).

For those complaining that the sport option is to "rough /stiff" why'd you get the sport option?
I mean, sport isn't exactly soft nor "caddy like". I actually don't think the ride is rough or stiff, I'd describe it more like firm. Its pretty forgiving in my opinion over bumpy roads.

· Registered
521 Posts
Unfortunately, the F10 is like small 7 series. To me, the E60 was in a class by itself.
What I find interesting is that when the E60 first came out, it had a lot of critics. It seems that since the E60 is now a senior citizen, the criticism has been redirected to the F10.

The F10 is clearly a different car than the E60. Most of us have gotten it (F10) with Sport or M-Sport package, so handling is more than adequate. Since it is a somewhat larger and heavier car than the E60 it does not feel as nimble or agile, but it is certainly not Lexus like (unless you want it to be and put it in Comfort+).

Enjoy your E60s.

· Registered
952 Posts
I drove a new F10 and was expecting a modest (not huge) improvement over the E60 but I just didn't feel it. The F10 is a nice car but it feels less nimble, firm, and responsive than my 550i.

The F10 has more techno gadgets, is very comfortable inside, and has a smooth ride a lot like my wife's Lexus. It was disappointing to me since I was expecting more of ride upgrade and it's just not there. When an Audi A7 rides better than a BMW 550i the planets have realigned. Has BMW decided to pursue more of a luxury path than their historical path? I hope not.
You're on the money. I had an E60 550 M Sport and I found the ride in my F10 550xi M Sport even on sport plus to be way too soft. So I went out and got the Dinan Springs. Now the car rides fantastic and the responsiveness is back.

· Registered
124 Posts
This is interesting to me because I've been wondering what I was going to replace the '09 535i with. From most things I've read the new series 5 is pretty much the same size and weight as the 7? I have the sport package on my 5 and I think it's about perfect. It's what a luxury sport sedan should be.

· Giant Robot
619 Posts
Every car designer makes choices and tradeoffs. Personally, the E60 550i sport is the ultimate compromise between handling, ride, refinement, economy, size, and luxury for a road car. I'd go for a E60 M5, but that kills the economy. The 3-series is too small for my comfort. The 7 series is too big for fun. I wouldn't mine making the E60 a bit smaller, though still larger than a 3-series. Going bigger with the F10 is not the direction I want. That doesn't mean the F10 is a worse car overall. From all I understand, it's better in myriad ways. It's just not the right compromise for me.

· Registered
168 Posts
Every car designer makes choices and tradeoffs. Personally, the E60 550i sport is the ultimate compromise between handling, ride, refinement, economy, size, and luxury for a road car. I'd go for a E60 M5, but that kills the economy. The 3-series is too small for my comfort. The 7 series is too big for fun. I wouldn't mine making the E60 a bit smaller, though still larger than a 3-series. Going bigger with the F10 is not the direction I want. That doesn't mean the F10 is a worse car overall. From all I understand, it's better in myriad ways. It's just not the right compromise for me.
Didnt the BMW Line up get bigger across the board? If that is so, you could get the 335 which is probably bigger than the old 3 and still smaller than the E60 5 series... there you go, you're welcome! :thumbup:

· Registered
1,618 Posts
Didnt the BMW Line up get bigger across the board? If that is so, you could get the 335 which is probably bigger than the old 3 and still smaller than the E60 5 series... there you go, you're welcome! :thumbup:
The new 3 series still feels smaller than the E39. Most importantly it drives smaller, feels more compact. Nevertheless with size inflation across the board a lot of us are destined to wind up in future 3s as the 5 series become small freighters.

Have you guys noticed how incredibly similar the 5 and 7 series now are? Put them side by side (short 7 and 550) and there is not much daylight between them. :dunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.