BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick DIY guide in replacing the Cabin filter in your F15 X5 35d

***(Disclaimer I'm no way responsible for any property damages/injuries/death occurred by following this guide, if you're not sure how to perform this suggest you seek a professional mechanic for assistance)***

Things you need...
Cabin filter, I bought mine at rock auto Mahle with active charcoal $23.00-$27.00
Flat head screwdriver
Your Hand's
30 minutes of your time.

1.On the Left side (passenger side) Remove the trim cover, Watch out for the 2 locking tabs (see pic) on the Left and center make sure its released, then Lift the back part up as shown on pic (see pic)

2. Now that the trim has been lifted and free from mess pull it towards you (see pic)

3. Remove the Windshield washer waterline bracket

4. Remove the gas support strut.This will give more leeway to remove the cabin filter box

CAUTION make sure the hood dosen't come down on your head, use a stick and support hood as needed

WARNING DO NOT REMOVE LOCKING C CLIP FROM STRUT, ITS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT/IMPOSSIBLE TO REINSERT!

To remove use the flat head screwdriver and insert it under the locking clip and pry it up (see fig 1 left), while keeping the clip pried open, use you hand and pull the head of the strut out of the socket (see fig 2 center) once removed move the strut away.

5 Remove the cabin filter lid, theres a plastic lock tab in the middle (see pic)

6. Lift UP from the lock tab then pull towards you and it should slide out.

7 Flip the cabin filter holder over and you'll see the filters on the edge there's push tabs to remove the filter, and filter installs one way and make sure its secured before installing

8. When reinstalling cabin filter top make sure you align the lid to the notches on the bottom part of the filter (see pic)

9. Reinstall the top cover/trim, this can get tricky now there are 3 things you need to realign in order to get it in properly. Start off aligning the RED BOX (SEE PIC) first there are 3 holes and 2 tabs and 1 V shaped tab that needs to be align first before it fits some fidgeting is required to get them in. Once you get the top part in make sure the BLUE BOX (see pic) tab locked in place and Rain water channel is placed correctly. Finally don't forget to clip lock clip in the middle YELLOW BOX (See pic)

10. Reinstall your hood strut, no need to pry the C-CLIP just POP it back in, and reinstall the windshield washer water line bracket on to the strut.

And that's about it, Change intervals is Every 10k miles or 1-2 yrs depending how dusty is your region.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow... I thought this should be easier but it seems a little bit challenge to me. Luckily, I don't have to worry this after 3-years lease. But, it's good to know.

Great Post. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Excellent write up. Just changed mine on my 2015 X5 35d. Wanted to add that I didn***8217;t have to remove the hood strut or washer line. The box came pretty much right out. Whole thing took me about 10min. Was even simpler that my old e70.

Best,

Chad

A quick DIY guide in replacing the Cabin filter in your F15 X5 35d

***(Disclaimer I'm no way responsible for any property damages/injuries/death occurred by following this guide, if you're not sure how to perform this suggest you seek a professional mechanic for assistance)***

Things you need...
Cabin filter, I bought mine at rock auto Mahle with active charcoal $23.00-$27.00
Flat head screwdriver
Your Hand's
30 minutes of your time.

1.On the Left side (passenger side) Remove the trim cover, Watch out for the 2 locking tabs (see pic) on the Left and center make sure its released, then Lift the back part up as shown on pic (see pic)

2. Now that the trim has been lifted and free from mess pull it towards you (see pic)

3. Remove the Windshield washer waterline bracket

4. Remove the gas support strut.This will give more leeway to remove the cabin filter box

CAUTION make sure the hood dosen't come down on your head, use a stick and support hood as needed

WARNING DO NOT REMOVE LOCKING C CLIP FROM STRUT, ITS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT/IMPOSSIBLE TO REINSERT!

To remove use the flat head screwdriver and insert it under the locking clip and pry it up (see fig 1 left), while keeping the clip pried open, use you hand and pull the head of the strut out of the socket (see fig 2 center) once removed move the strut away.

5 Remove the cabin filter lid, theres a plastic lock tab in the middle (see pic)

6. Lift UP from the lock tab then pull towards you and it should slide out.

7 Flip the cabin filter holder over and you'll see the filters on the edge there's push tabs to remove the filter, and filter installs one way and make sure its secured before installing

8. When reinstalling cabin filter top make sure you align the lid to the notches on the bottom part of the filter (see pic)

9. Reinstall the top cover/trim, this can get tricky now there are 3 things you need to realign in order to get it in properly. Start off aligning the RED BOX (SEE PIC) first there are 3 holes and 2 tabs and 1 V shaped tab that needs to be align first before it fits some fidgeting is required to get them in. Once you get the top part in make sure the BLUE BOX (see pic) tab locked in place and Rain water channel is placed correctly. Finally don't forget to clip lock clip in the middle YELLOW BOX (See pic)

10. Reinstall your hood strut, no need to pry the C-CLIP just POP it back in, and reinstall the windshield washer water line bracket on to the strut.

And that's about it, Change intervals is Every 10k miles or 1-2 yrs depending how dusty is your region.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
A month ago I bought a 2017 x5 sdrive CPO. I checked the 2 cabin filters under the hood and they were very dirty. The interior was new.
Can anyone advise if when the dealer replaces the "cabin filter" if all 3 are replaced or just the interior one?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
YES. They should replace all air filters. However, in my experience the two cabin air filters under the hood get dirty much more quickly than the recirculation filter inside the cabin.

From bmwusa website: BMW Maintenance Program – BMW USA

”All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:

• Engine Oil
  • Engine Filter
  • Brake Fluid
  • Cabin Micro Filter(s)
  • Engine Air Filter(s)
  • Spark Plugs
  • Remote Control/Key Battery
  • Vehicle Check
  • Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts