Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm buying a 2005 330Ci M Sport (YAY!). Love the aesthetic of the car, the handling (my buddy has a 325CiS from the same year, love the way it drives even at 263,000 miles), overall a great car in my eyes. Although it is an older car however, so I'd like to add some modernized luxury.

Would it be possible to install the nav unit from an F30 in there? I know they make the double din navigation units, but personally I like them above the A/C vents, don't ask why I just do :rofl:

If yes, what would be the limitations/downsides over say a double din unit? If no, is there any sort of unit that would look OEM and sit above the climate control vents?

Thanks in advance
-Lane

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, I plan to change the amber color in the dash to white, as well as the screen on the climate vents.

(I get it, I'm taking away from the great E46 and it's timeless charm. I'm young, and I want the best of both worlds.)

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
You in the US? There was no M sport package in the US for the E46.

Retrofitting F30 not going to happen without major cost IMO. I’d look into a dinavin or similar. And if the car is nice keep the stock stereo if the next owner wants to return the car to original.

Congratulations on the new to you E46 nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't look down on you for wanting to change the amber color. Purists have to just get used to our individuality. Im changing mine to blue***x1f60e;.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You in the US? There was no M sport package in the US for the E46.

Retrofitting F30 not going to happen without major cost IMO. I***8217;d look into a dinavin or similar. And if the car is nice keep the stock stereo if the next owner wants to return the car to original.

Congratulations on the new to you E46 nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
It has the M-Sport wheels, steering wheel, all black interior, bumpers, and red dash needles, if it's not an M-Sport what is it?

Also yes I am in the USA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some pictures so you can see what I mean. Could it be a ZHP? Yeah the wheel is leather and that's the year they were doing alcantara, but ya never know.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Not an M sport because they never had it for E46 - period. That never stopped BMW from throwing little M badges here and there, my wheels have then too but that does not make my car an M sport.

ZHP much more likely based on pictures (those are ZHP wheels), run the VIN.

If you think you can install an F30 syste in your car, what makes you think someone did not swap wheels or steering wheel prior to you getting the car? Think about it...

Also, if its a ZHP, I'd keep it as close to stock as possible if you're concerned over its value in the future. The gap between non ZHP and ZHP values will do noting but grow with ZHP's becoming more sought after. You take away that originality and you just have a modified E46.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
A few notes for you...

1) The color BMW uses in the instrument cluster is one that is the least detrimental to your night vision. Blue is terrible for night vision, as is pure white. New BMWs have white gauges when the headlights are off, but once they turn on, it goes back to the amber color. If you want to add some splash to your interior, you can always add footwell lights (click here to see a thread I made on my install).

2) If you can manage to retrofit an F30 navigation and iDrive, then power to you. I don't see it happening for a variety of reasons. The electronics in an F30 are designed to all work together. Sure, anything is possible with enough money, but I don't see you spending $10,000+ to retrofit a navigation system in a 14-year-old car. If you want to add navigation and an updated-looking head unit, get an Eonon. They have two options for the E46 available. One is a 9" touch screen tablet-type deal (GA9150KW, click to see it) that sticks out from the dashboard, much like many new cars. Then there is the GA9150A and the GA9150B (click to see each one). I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, but these look more like an OEM system, complete with touch screen.

3) If you truly have a ZHP and not a ZHP clone, you will not want to touch that car. If you keep it bone stock and clean, you can probably sell it for as much as you paid for it to the right buyer. People are weird about ZHPs. If anything, stick some angel eyes on it and call it a day.

4) Don't get mad at us for telling you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. We're mostly purists around here and scream, "BLASPHEMY!" at the slightest hint of weird mods (like changing instrument cluster colors to blue). Fun fact: Volkswagen used blue instrument clusters in their early to mid-2000's cars. Don't be a Volkswagen.

5) I just realized the oldest E46 is now 20 years old. I guess we should anticipate more posts like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts