BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm trying to import my MP3 library into my car's music collection. My first attempt was to use three thumbdrives, each with a different genre and the associated .m3u playlists. What I found was that the playlists shown in the music collection were only those from the last drive I imported. Changing the top-level folder under Music search > Browse directory had no effect.

So, figuring this was a software bug, I bought a new, larger thumbdrive that could hold my entire music library. After nuking the collection in the car and re-importing, I found that about 2/3 of the playlists were there. Interestingly, I see the exact same thing when I browse the playlists directly from the thumbdrive. My library is not very large, 2437 MP3s and 154 playlists currently.

Has anyone experienced this kind of behavior? Is there some kind of (ridiculously low) limit to what the system will list? This seems like a pretty easy feature to do, so I feel like I am missing something. Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
So there's an interesting thing in the manual that talks about finding Similar Music when using the music collection on the HDD. It says similar music is stored as a playlist and that you can have up to 100 tracks per list. Then it says, "The number of playlists is limited, and storing a new playlist may cause an old one to be deleted".

This isn't definitive, but does give some credence to the limited number of playlists theory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just spoke with the genius line and the guy said the car only has 12GB of storage available. This is surprisingly small. In any case, I'm going to try reducing my music library and importing again. I think what I'll end up doing is keeping my favorite albums onboard and the rest on a thumbdrive in the armrest port. I'll update with the results.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just spoke with the genius line and the guy said the car only has 12GB of storage available. This is surprisingly small. In any case, I'm going to try reducing my music library and importing again. I think what I'll end up doing is keeping my favorite albums onboard and the rest on a thumbdrive in the armrest port. I'll update with the results.
Good idea. You can always just use an old iPod or iPhone too. With the Apple cable, artist/song title/album art show up and you can use stereo buttons to play/pause, skip tracks, etc (not sure if this is part of another option, but I don't have enhanced bluetooth, usb).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like the 100-playlist limit is correct. I also reduced the data size to 10.6 GB, though I'm still not sure what the storage capacity is. I now have 83 playlists and they are all accounted for. :) The only remaining annoyance is that items are not sorted alphabetically, even though I went to the trouble of sorting the FAT table (tool & explanation).

Thanks everyone for your assistance! Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others in the future. And of course the folks at BMW could take feedback from our efforts. :)
Cheers!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Confirmed, found the "Free Memory" menu item that shows used and total storage space. Thanks also for the sorting info. I used this touch utilitY to give all of my music and playlist files the same timestamp: http://www.funduc.com/fstouch.htm
Now they are listed alphabetically.
Not bad! Glad you found a solution. Were you able to use the additional space you discovered?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Confirmed, found the "Free Memory" menu item that shows used and total storage space. Thanks also for the sorting info. I used this touch utilitY to give all of my music and playlist files the same timestamp: http://www.funduc.com/fstouch.htm

Now they are listed alphabetically.
Thanks for the tip I'll try this utility...amazing we have to do this did they never test this?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
So the playlist order is seriously messed up on the NBT system!

If playing music off the USB playlists are listed in date modified order, not alphabetically. I fixed this using Rhino's tip on fstouch utility (might come in handy for some work stuff that...)

But after importing the music to the car's drive they are in completely random order again! Weird!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.