Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
my car speaks german
2018 G1 X3 M40i White w/ Cognac
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2012 335i sedan, black sapphire metallic, with black leather interior with red accents, & 20" Double Spoke 361 rims & Pirelli P-Zero Run-Flats. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, it is bone stock, save for the window tint and the different rims (the car was spec'd with 19"LT/ALY WHEELS DOUBLE SP. 401/MT, per the build sheet). A side view of my car is in my sig. Here is a photo of the interior:

Here is the build sheet from BMWVin.com.

Vehicle information
VIN long ...NN67501
Type code 3A9G
Type 335I (USA)
Dev. series F30 ()
Line 3
Body type LIM
Steering LL
Door count 4
Engine N55
Cubical capacity 3
Power 225
Transmision HECK
Gearbox AUT
Colour BLACK SAPPHIRE METALLIC (475)
Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ/AKZENT ROT (LCL3)
Prod. date 3/1/2012

Order options
No. Description
1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES
2A4 19"LT/ALY WHEELS DOUBLE SP. 401/MT
2TB SPORT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
2VB TYRE PRESSURE INDICATOR
255 SPORTS LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
3BE MIRROR CAPS BLACK
3DZ WITHOUT ADDITIONAL DESIGNATION OUTS
302 ALARM SYSTEM
319 INTEGRATED UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL
322 COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM
4AT INT.TR.FINI. BLACK HIGH-GLOSS
4DN HIGH.TRIM FIN. CORAL RED MATT
4NE BLOW-BY-HEATER
403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC
423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY
465 THROUGH-LOAD SYSTEM
481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
493 STORAGE COMPARTMENT PACKAGE
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
5AC AUTOM. HIGH-BEAM HEADLIGHTS CONTROL
5AP DECODING FOR NO-DAZZLE HIGH-BEAM AS
521 RAIN SENSOR
522 XENON LIGHT
524 ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
563 LIGHTS PACKAGE
575 ADDITIONAL 12V POWER SOCKET
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6NF EXT.CON.OF THE MUSIC PLAY.I.MOBILPH
6NL CONNECT. BLUETOOTH A.USB DEVICES IN
6NR APPS
6UH TRAFFIC INFORMATION
6VA CIC CONTROL
6WA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER W. EXTENDED CONT
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
610 HEAD UP DISPLAY
615 EXTENDED BMW ONLINE INFORMATION
655 SATELLITE RADIO
688 HARMAN/KARDON SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
697 AREA-CODE 1
7AC SPORT LINE
704 M SPORT SUSPENSION
775 INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE
8KC OELSERVICEINT. 24.000KM/24MONTHS
8SC COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF TELESERVICE
8S4 DECODING VARIABLE LIGHT DISTRIBUTIO
8TN DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE B
840 HIGH SPEED SYNCHRONISATION
9AA EXTERNAL SKIN PROTECTION
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Series options
No. Description
216 SERVOTRONIC
249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL
258 RUNFLAT TYRES
5DS LUGGAGE-COMPARTMENT EMERG. RELEASE
520 FOGLIGHTS
544 CRUISE CONTROL WITH BRAKING FUNCTION
645 RADIO CONTROL US
823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION
845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ
992 NUMBER PLATE ATTACHEMENT MANAGEMENT
993 MODEL YEAR CODE

So, what I'm asking here is what do the forum goers here think are the requisite mods for the F30? I'll of course do the "normal" mods, like a K&N air filter, computer code changes, and the navigation map updates (the files are extracting now, will be installed tomorrow). The car does have about 4k miles (or until July 2016) left on the factory warranty and the no-cost maintenance, so I'll be able to get another set of wiper blades, an oil change, and a new set of front brakes before it runs out.

What are the absolute "must do" mods for the F30?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Depends on what your purpose is. Is it to make things pretty or to go fast? If it's the latter, then the most effective mod tends to be to swap out the moronic piece of ballast in the front left seat. :rofl:

·
Former SVB
335 Posts
What if he is a trained racing car driver? Then what mods would you focus on? I think a big bang for the buck is DP, Exhaust, boost (JB4) & don't forget the FUEL!

Mad
Depends on what your purpose is. Is it to make things pretty or to go fast? If it's the latter, then the most effective mod tends to be to swap out the moronic piece of ballast in the front left seat. :rofl:

·
my car speaks german
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What if he is a trained racing car driver? Then what mods would you focus on? I think a big bang for the buck is DP, Exhaust, boost (JB4) & don't forget the FUEL!

Mad
oh, duh... I thought he was referring to the actual seat... :rofl:

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
I'll of course do the "normal" mods, like a K&N air filter
and a new set of front brakes before it runs out.
K&N isn't really a "requisite"; the OEM cold-air is pretty good and won't cause problems as some filters have done in the past. Unless you like more turbo noise, have a bigger FMIC or doing some more radical tuning, they're wasted money.

It's usually REAR brakes on newer BMWs that get replaced before 50K. I have my original front pads and rotors at 104K. Are your fronts actually worn down?

·
my car speaks german
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the vehicle info from iDrive, it says I have 3k left on the fronts and 18k left on the rears.

·
my car speaks german
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
my car speaks german
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a couple of other questions... I have done searches, but I guess my search-fu is weak, since I have not found a suitable answer. :google:

I'm looking to get a winter set of rims / tires, probably a set of 18s with Blizzak (or similar) tires. What set of 18" rims work? (offset, width, etc) At the moment, my car is stock, but if I want to upgrade the brakes to a big brake set (M-Performance or Brembo), would I need to get at least 19s? What set of 19" rims work? (offset, width, etc)

Thank you in advance for your assistance. :thumbup:

Or, is anyone running the rims I have with all season tires or winter tires? This would probably be the most cost effective alternative. (Unless I can score an inexpensive set, complete with TPMS)
(BMW Double Spoke 361 Complete Wheel Set / Up to 03/14 part #36112219673)
Rear: 255/30-R20 92Y Pirelli P-Zero Run Flat
Front: 225/35R20 92Y Pirelli P-Zero Run Flat

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The single best mod, as I was told three bimmers ago, is to upgrade the nut behind the steering wheel, since modding that nut will carry on to all future bimmers. As they told us on my first track day, the fastest car on our track that day could be a Ford Fiesta, driven by Ralph Schumaker. Or a Ford van, driven by Sabine Schmitz.

·
my car speaks german
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The single best mod, as I was told three bimmers ago, is to upgrade the nut behind the steering wheel, since modding that nut will carry on to all future bimmers. As they told us on my first track day, the fastest car on our track that day could be a Ford Fiesta, driven by Ralph Schumaker. Or a Ford van, driven by Sabine Schmitz.
I've heard this and completely agree. While I've never taken any driving classes, I have taken a couple of motorcycling classes to improve my riding, including an off-road class where I rode my R1200GS Adventure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tune for performance. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a couple of other questions... I have done searches, but I guess my search-fu is weak, since I have not found a suitable answer. :google:

I'm looking to get a winter set of rims / tires, probably a set of 18s with Blizzak (or similar) tires. What set of 18" rims work? (offset, width, etc) At the moment, my car is stock, but if I want to upgrade the brakes to a big brake set (M-Performance or Brembo), would I need to get at least 19s? What set of 19" rims work? (offset, width, etc)

Thank you in advance for your assistance. :thumbup:

Or, is anyone running the rims I have with all season tires or winter tires? This would probably be the most cost effective alternative. (Unless I can score an inexpensive set, complete with TPMS)
(BMW Double Spoke 361 Complete Wheel Set / Up to 03/14 part #36112219673)
Rear: 255/30-R20 92Y Pirelli P-Zero Run Flat
Front: 225/35R20 92Y Pirelli P-Zero Run Flat

Make sure you know if you need studdless dnow and ice tires or winter performance tires. Get the wrong type and you'll be very unhappy. Mostly cold, dry/wet roads, get winter performance. Best of that category is Pilot Alpine 4s or Sottozero 3s. You typically want some sidewall, so smaller rims are better. Go square if you want better snow traction.

The sport brakes require 18s. Anything bigger than that is for show, not go, because the combined rim and tire weight will be heavier with no appreciable traction gained. Speaking of weight, the OEM rims are ridiculously heavy. I use my track package 18s to run 225 square Sottozero 3 and a set of 18" Volk ZE40s for the PSS. OEM 398s are 26lbs per rim, ZE40s are 18lbs! ZE40s aren't even considered a lightweight design, they're the strong design from Volk. The ZE40s are made in a 18" and 19" explicitly for the F30.

As for mods, see my sig. Unless you want to make your car illegal and be an a$$ to your fellow human beings and the planet, stage 1 tune + fmic + charge pipe are the way to go. Intake /exhaust won't do much for performance (may sound better) and downpipes/etc are generally illegal and won't do much unless you push to stage 2 tunes. Chargepipe is only needed because of them weak OEM design. Haven't done it yet, but might consider a diverter valve upgrade as well (holds boost better so lag is reduced).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice car!

Requisite mods... Hand wash, clay bar, Polish, sealant and wax.

Next is Maybe not a required mods but I think a trunk spoiler is a cost effective improvement that will make your BMW stand out a little while maintaining a factory appearance. You can pick up an aftermarket one < $150.

I wouldn't bother with the K&N air filter, pretty much zero performance gain. JB stage 1 is truely plug-n-play and will net you a noticeable boost in performance.

As others have said it all depends on what you want to do and what is important to you. Some folks can't wait to replace the audio system, others are all about exterior customization and / or boosting the HP& toque.

·
GasCompression
522 Posts
Nice car!

I wouldn't bother with the K&N air filter, pretty much zero performance gain. JB stage 1 is truely plug-n-play and will net you a noticeable boost in performance.

As others have said it all depends on what you want to do and what is important to you. Some folks can't wait to replace the audio system, others are all about exterior customization and / or boosting the HP& toque.
+1

K&N will do little to nothing, an intake will not provide much until you add a tune which provides a higher boost in the Turbo and the engine starts to draw more air though the system. You have an early build F30 so the BMW MPPK is a 20 HP Gain ($1,000) and includes a low restriction intake. The Dinan tune is 65 HP($2,000). The JB4 is the bargain with 60-70 HP (>$500) but is not covered under warranty. the Dinan & JB4 do not include intake. An Exhaust as the BMW MPE will provide for a nicer exhaust tone and possibly 5 HP gains ($1,000), The BMW MPPK with BMW MPE mods are 8-9% gain together. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Agree!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Depends on what you're budget is and what you're trying to achieve overall (all show, all go or both)
. :thumbup:

·
my car speaks german
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Make sure you know if you need studdless dnow and ice tires or winter performance tires. Get the wrong type and you'll be very unhappy. Mostly cold, dry/wet roads, get winter performance. Best of that category is Pilot Alpine 4s or Sottozero 3s. You typically want some sidewall, so smaller rims are better. Go square if you want better snow traction.

The sport brakes require 18s. Anything bigger than that is for show, not go, because the combined rim and tire weight will be heavier with no appreciable traction gained. Speaking of weight, the OEM rims are ridiculously heavy. I use my track package 18s to run 225 square Sottozero 3 and a set of 18" Volk ZE40s for the PSS. OEM 398s are 26lbs per rim, ZE40s are 18lbs! ZE40s aren't even considered a lightweight design, they're the strong design from Volk. The ZE40s are made in a 18" and 19" explicitly for the F30.

As for mods, see my sig. Unless you want to make your car illegal and be an a$$ to your fellow human beings and the planet, stage 1 tune + fmic + charge pipe are the way to go. Intake /exhaust won't do much for performance (may sound better) and downpipes/etc are generally illegal and won't do much unless you push to stage 2 tunes. Chargepipe is only needed because of them weak OEM design. Haven't done it yet, but might consider a diverter valve upgrade as well (holds boost better so lag is reduced).
Those Volk rims are awesome looking. I've always loved the VMR - V710 rims. I have not done much research on rims except on the e46 M3, back when I was obsessed with that car (still love it, but probably will not be pursuing one). For now, I'll be putting Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires on the rims it came with. Even if I get a set of winter tires & rims, I want to ride all season tires here in Eastern Idaho for the non-winter months. The weather here in the high desert of Idaho is very unpredictable.

Your signature is not showing up.

Nice car!

Requisite mods... Hand wash, clay bar, Polish, sealant and wax.

Next is Maybe not a required mods but I think a trunk spoiler is a cost effective improvement that will make your BMW stand out a little while maintaining a factory appearance. You can pick up an aftermarket one < $150.

Thank you!

Agreed with the detailing mods. I think I'll be paying for the first complete paint treatment at my local detailing shop - clay, double wax, scratch removal, and anti-swirl buffing. Then, I'll need to find one of the local DIY car washes that allow bucket washing. My apartment complex does not allow car washing on the premises.

One of the body mods I really want to do is the trunk spoiler; I love the carbon fiber one. It sort of gets lost on the black sapphire metallic paint color of the car, but it looks nice.

Multiple people have suggested NOT doing the K&N filter. I've actually been looking at a full cold air intake, like the Dinan one. Very spendy, though.

As for the audio system, it's very good, especially compared to my 1999 323i convertible H&K stereo. I may replace the amp and maybe the sub.

+1

K&N will do little to nothing, an intake will not provide much until you add a tune which provides a higher boost in the Turbo and the engine starts to draw more air though the system. You have an early build F30 so the BMW MPPK is a 20 HP Gain ($1,000) and includes a low restriction intake. Those two mods are 8-9% gain. The Dinan tune is 65 HP($2,000). The JB4 is the bargain with 60-70 HP (>$500) but is not covered under warranty. An Exhaust as the BMW MPE will provide for a nicer exhaust tone but possibly 5 HP gains ($1,000), :)
Thanks for the specific information. I have been looking at the BMW M-Performance upgrades pretty closely. I do not have the funds to do anything right now, but maybe by the summer I'll be able to do stuff. Realistically, the car is way more than I could ever drive at the limit, at least legally around here. I will not be tracking it, so as people have suggested, mod it for me.

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts