BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F31 335xi Black Sapphire Msport Wagon Arrived - First Impressions

12571 Views 19 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  janosch
Sorry, no, I don't live in the States but thought I'd share the arrival of my F31 335xi black sapphire wagon, with 19" 403M rims, black kidneys and black individual leather (fully loaded with more or less all options and packages available in Switzerland incl. the NBT nav). This hopefully makes it easier (and not harder) for you guys awaiting your wagon delivery :angel:

Below my first impressions after about 400 miles (some city driving but most of it on highways).

In a nutshell:
I'm blown away :D She drives very well and the adaptive M suspension is a lot better than the (non adaptive) suspension in my old E91 335xi (facelift). So far no noises or rattles and also no special wind noises (I think I can "hear" the closed moonroof a little bit but it's no issue at all). The N55 is definitely a great motor and fun to drive though I haven't really pushed her so far. The 8AT is nice too though I have to get used to it a bit more (coming from a 6MT).

Further impressions for some of the options:

HK Sourround Sound System
First impression is very good, definitely better than the "High End" in my old E91.

DAB
You don't seem to get this option (instead you get Sirius I guess). In Switzerland the DAB option is a must.

TV
You don't seem to have this option either, also not really important but still fun (especially with coded video/tv in motion ;)

"Tinted Windows"
Does not seem to exist as an option either for you guys. Here this option is darker compared to my old E91.

ACC
Definitely a nice and working feature on the highway. Though I can image that it is a bit "harsh" for passengers as it is not as foresighted as a good driver (e.g. it will still accelerate even though you see the car a bit further away is already breaking). But e.g. in slow moving traffic it is very nice as it breaks to a full stop and engages again if the stop was shorter than about 3 seconds. I also tried it in the city but you have to be careful in case you suddenly don't have a car in front of you anymore, e.g. at a red light :rolleyes:. It also engages on bicycles driving at the side of the road (though this is probably not such an issue for you guys :)

Speed Limit Info
Works quite good. The speed information is *not* just from the camera but also coming from the nav (e.g. in case you leave a garage it will show the correct speed limit after some seconds even though you have not passed a speed sign yet - at least that's how it works here in Switzerland).

Lane Departure Warning
Also this option works well and doesn't annoy me. It feels like driving over these lines that have dents (don't know if you got them e.g. on highways) above a certain speed and if you don't use the turn light.

Active Blind Spot Detection
Works well so far. It detects cars (but not bicycles) between the time you see them in your rear mirror until they have their bumper more or less near your front door.

Automatic High Beams
Not able to test it yet (though I'm looking forward to as you only hear great things especially in combination with adaptive xenons).

Head-Up Display
Very nice (and no issues so far, e.g. non of the reported navigation information losses so far, this seems to be fixed now). I think you get used to it very quickly and will miss it in other cars.

Moreover:

Coding
Asked my dealer to program ASS to remember last setting (thanks to this forum) and got into coding myself too (again thanks to this form and especially Shawn) and successfully coded video/tv in motion so far :)

ToDo:
- PPK to be added
- Code some additional "features" like tail DRLs, door handle light up in reverse, etc...
- Even though we get the NBT nav we can't get the RTTI and remote options so far (apparently only available from July 2013 productions :cry: but I hope they have included the SIM card already nevertheless and it can e.g. be coded)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Congrats on the really loaded F31 335xi with PPK soon to come. I would say the white piping in the seat is a good contrast to the black leather.
:thumbup: Great looking de-badged F31. Did u upgrade the brakes to the M performance? How much better are they?
Looks cool, I like the all black look.
Yes, the front rotors really fill out the wheels nicely! Sucks we can't get them here...
You're a bad, bad person. You're going to cause a lot of people here to break the 10th commandment. I'm so glad I'm not one of them. :eeps:

:p
You're killing me.

Why oh why are they not selling a 335 wagon in the states!!
These are the M sport breaks which are a dedicated option here (not the performance ones, though what I understand the only difference between M sport and M performance are the slotted disks). The breaks are great (I would say better than the ones on my old E91) but I don't think this is related to the M sport ones. The M sport ones should help to avoid fading e.g. coming down some Swiss mountains (e.g. http://www.autobahnadventures.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/St-Gothard-Pass.-Switzerland1.jpg) :D
:thumbup: Great looking de-badged F31. Did u upgrade the brakes to the M performance? How much better are they?
I don't know what you mean, no servants, oxes or donkeys here :dunno: :neener:

You're a bad, bad person. You're going to cause a lot of people here to break the 10th commandment. I'm so glad I'm not one of them. :eeps:
You're killing me.
Why oh why are they not selling a 335 wagon in the states!!
Actually I didn't know that you don't get the 335 wagon, so I sincerely apologize :( But believe me, it's really great to drive :yummy: :smokin:
We only get the 335(i/xi) wagon since March 2013 production so you might still get it at a later point, eg. with introduction of "2014" productions?!
Congrats, Janosch! That is one very sharp looking wagon. I am partial to wagons as I believe they offer far more utility than an SUV and still have a safe, stable high speed vehicle.

Chiuck
Nope. We'll never get it. As much as BMW wagon enthusiasts pine for it the fact of the matter only ten of them will actually buy it. BMWNA has only imported the "lesser 3er" wagon since the E46. With the E91 even though BMW offered RWD it turns out the lion's share of those purchased in the U.S. were xDrive models and so this go around the only model they're even offering here is the 328i xDrive with the 8AT.
We only get the 335(i/xi) wagon since March 2013 production so you might still get it at a later point, eg. with introduction of "2014" productions?!
And the 328xd (320xd) with auto a bit later.
...With the E91 even though BMW offered RWD it turns out the lion's share of those purchased in the U.S. were xDrive models and so this go around the only model they're even offering here is the 328i xDrive with the 8AT.
I agree. That looks really nice.
Congrats on the really loaded F31 335xi with PPK soon to come. I would say the white piping in the seat is a good contrast to the black leather.
We like minivans, so unless BMW introduces a minivan us Yanks are going to only get a 328 or lesser wagon.
I would love me some 335i wagon, oh daydreaming.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I don't know what you mean, no servants, oxes or donkeys here :dunno: :neener:

Actually I didn't know that you don't get the 335 wagon, so I sincerely apologize :( But believe me, it's really great to drive :yummy: :smokin:
You guys get everything...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Me too! But I'll take the 328xi over nothing. I'm certain that I would have opted for a 335 touring but that's not an option.

My 328 F31 is built and sitting on some dock in Europe awaiting a ride....
...I would love me some 335i wagon, oh daydreaming.
janosch - Thank you for the overview. Can you tell us something about the electric-assisted steering? I have read some reports about it having less road feel, though I do like the concept of variable ratio for highway and parking.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm curious of why the debadging? I'd think the 335xi would be a "badge of honor" in a land littered with multitudes of similar vehicles with much smaller displacement? (and much higher fuel cost/taxes? not sure about this one)

Congrats nonetheless. I'm terribly envious. I'm seriously considering a X1 335 Xdrive to get similar performance, but then I'd only get the 6-sp and be losing all the wizardry/gadgetry of the F31, so, dunno.
Well, we don't get that much untaxed money anymore :cry:

You guys get everything...
janosch - Thank you for the overview. Can you tell us something about the electric-assisted steering? I have read some reports about it having less road feel, though I do like the concept of variable ratio for highway and parking.
I got VSS (Variable Sport Steering) which is "mechanical" and not "electric" as far as I know. You have to get used to it but I'm happy with it so far. I would agree that the steering of my E91 335xi was a little bit firmer but I think its no big difference with the VSS option on the F31 (apparently the difference is bigger if you don't have VSS).

I'm curious of why the debadging? I'd think the 335xi would be a "badge of honor" in a land littered with multitudes of similar vehicles with much smaller displacement? (and much higher fuel cost/taxes? not sure about this one)
I like the cleaner look. And I think the ones that are into cars will know it's a 335 anyway (e.g. because of the location of the two exhaust tips) and the ones that aren't wouldn't know even it being badged. Regarding the "badge of honor": not that I would complain about my 335 but here in the city you see quite many cars "above" the 335: more hp and more expansive (BMW 5, 6, 7 series; Audi RS4, RS6, etc; Mercedes SLS, AMGs, etc; Porsche 911s, GT3s; Aston Martins; Maseratis; and all the rest of it :yummy:
Fuel costs: We pay about $7.2 per gallon :eek:
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.