BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Swaggin' in my Wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

a month or two ago I just purchased a 2015 F31 Wagon. I am absolutely loving it so far with one exception: I feel like I was misled regarding whether or not my car had heated front seats. I never bothered to try them until we had pretty much finalized the purchase, and when I was sitting outside ready to drive off, I gave them a go and nothing happened. I went back inside and was instantly met with every salesman telling me that if I had the buttons for them on my dash, it should work. Alas, they seem like dummy buttons, despite having clickable, heated seat buttons on each side with the three red led strips above each button.

I called around to some specialized BMW shops and they said that if you have the buttons, you should have heated seats, and perhaps they were just disconnected or a fuse was blown or something and to bring it in. I've put it off because I live in FL and its never been cold enough to make me wish I had them, until recently (this cold snap though!)

So I took a look underneath each seat and found an odd looking device (two actually) and one of them has a series of numbers followed by -HS (which I presumed stands for heated seats).

I've finally snapped a few pictures of under the seat and I was hoping some of you more experienced people might have more info on these controllers. Anyway, here are the pics:

Front Driver's Heated Seat button

Passenger Side's Heated Seat button

This is a large white box underneath that has a huge braided cable that runs under the carpet and up into and behind the dash. I apologize for the blurriness, best I could do. This is what I suspected is the heated seat modulator and is also the module that has a code with -HS at the end

This is the other device underneath whose purpose I'm unsure of. One of these has to control the power seat controls, but I'm not experienced enough to make that call. You can also see the huge braided cable at the bottom of this picture that runs from the white box and into the center console from behind.

I'm just confused, and felt I was misled. I know that heated front/passenger/rear seats as well as a heated steering wheel and rearview mirror heaters some standard with the Cold Weather Package (that this does not have), but I've heard from other sources that you can add just heated front seats as an option if you don't want the whole shebang.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at? :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd speculate that the box you have a photo of is the seat control unit (for position of the seat).

It appears you have the functioning buttons for heated seats; models I've seen without heated seats have NO button there.

The feature doesn't appear to be working, it might be worth peace of mind taking it in to the dealers service dept stating it isn't working. If you bought it less than a year ago, I'd presume it was still covered under warranty if broken.

Another note: you mentioned red LED's...I think the LED's should light up green? Perhaps red LED's are an indicator of a fault in that system?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Swaggin' in my Wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually did that within the first week based off the advice of the salesman who sold me the car but the service rep just printed out the window sticker, told me it didn't come with the CWP, and that I was SOL.

So there are two (maybe 3?) conclusions I can draw from this:

1) the one owner before me replaced the head unit with one with all the buttons

or

2) they did not do a thorough inspection of the car and instead just pulled the sheet. He seemed unaware that you can option an F31 with only heated front seats if you so choose. I could send it in again I suppose but if the previous owner truly did just swap the HVAC unit, I'll feel like a real doofus

3) loose/faulty connections - perhaps a fuse issue

·
Swaggin' in my Wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd speculate that the box you have a photo of is the seat control unit (for position of the seat).

It appears you have the functioning buttons for heated seats; models I've seen without heated seats have NO button there.

The feature doesn't appear to be working, it might be worth peace of mind taking it in to the dealers service dept stating it isn't working. If you bought it less than a year ago, I'd presume it was still covered under warranty if broken.

Another note: you mentioned red LED's...I think the LED's should light up green? Perhaps red LED's are an indicator of a fault in that system?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Thanks for the informative post - I really appreciate it. I probably will end up sending it back in, and now that I'm doing some googling, when I type F31 heated seat module, a couple pictures of the yellow module underneath come up. I guess I want to educate myself a little more so I can come into the dealer with a little more ammunition this time.

and yes, you're probably right - they are green. They've just never worked so I haven't seen them in action LOL

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
That looks like a button for heated seats, BUT we dont know if the controls were replaced for some reason (accident, etc).

What does your vin say when you decode it on bimmer.work or bmwvin.com? THAT will be the definitive "what your car came with". If Bmwvin.com shows your car came with heated seats, then it should have heated seats. If it DOESNT that means your car did not leave the factory with heated seats, and the climate control was replaced with one with those buttons which is possible (unlikely but possible).

As a rule, when looking at a used BMW one should check a vin decoder to see what options are on it (or see if the dealer has the original sticker.. but even then I would check a vin decoder).

Hindsight is 20/20 though. Check one of the vin decoder sites I posted and let us know if you see heated seats for your car on there (heated front seats are usually possible to get on a BMW without a cold weather package, thats correct).

·
Swaggin' in my Wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Welp, I guess that does it folks, no heated bum for me. Really peculiar though as the car is mint inside and out and has a clean carfax. Also strange that the image on the vin decoder site gives you an interior image of the car and not only are the heated seats buttons missing in the picture, there is a lot of that burr walnut finish on the dash, etc. In my car, almost everything (handles, center console, etc) have the brushed aluminum trim.

Vehicle information
VIN WBA3G7C5XFK296731

Type Code 3G73

E Series F31 ()

Series 3

Type TOUR

Model 328I XDRIVE (USA)

Steering LL

Doors 5

Engine N20

Displacement 2.00

Power 180

Drive ALLR

Transmission AUT

Colour ALPINWEISS 3 (300)

Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ (LCSW)

Prod. Date 2014-07-28

Available upgardes
High-End sound system Check compatibility

Spare/replacement key fob Check compatibility

Smartphone mirroring Check compatibility

Additional iDrive features Check compatibility

Vehicle options
S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles

S1CBA CO2 package

S216A HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC

S249A Multifunction f steering wheel

S255A Sports leather steering wheel

S258A Tire with run-flat functionality

S2DWA BMW LA wheel, Star Spoke 393

S2TBA Sport automatic transmission

S2VBA Tire pressure display

S319A Integrated universal remote control

S322A Comfort access

S3AAA Roof railing black

S3AGA Reversing camera

S3L8A Exterior parts, satin-gloss aluminum

S402A Electric panoramic roof

S423A Floor mats, velours

S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip

S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip

S459A Seat adjuster, electric, with memory

S465A Through-loading system

S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger

S493A Storage compartment package

S4ABA Fine wood trim burr walnut

S4DMA Accent strips, pearl-gloss, chrome

S4NEA Blow-by heater

S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)

S520A Fog lights

S521A Rain sensor

S522A Xenon Light

S524A Adaptive Headlights

S534A Automatic air conditioning

S544A Cruise control with brake function

S563A Light package

S575A Supplementary 12V sockets

S645A BMW US Radio

S655A Satellite tuner

S676A HiFi speaker system

S697A Area-Code 1 for DVD

S6ACA Intelligent emergency SOS call

S6AEA Teleservices

S6NHA Hands-free with USB interface

S823A Hot-climate version

S845A Acoustic belt warning

S853A Language version English

S8KLA Oil service interval 15,000 km/12 months

S8S4A Decoding variable light distribution

S8TNA Daytime run.lights adjus.via light menu

S925A Dummy-SALAPA

S992A Control of number-plate attachment

S993A model year code in VIN

S9AAA Outer skin protection

So someone must have had plans to maybe add heated seats and abandoned the project? Quite confused, but hey, she drives lovely, even with a cold bum

·
Registered
187 Posts
So someone must have had plans to maybe add heated seats and abandoned the project? Quite confused, but hey, she drives lovely, even with a cold bum
This must be it. The car's VIN states:

S4ABA Fine wood trim burr walnut

Which is why the pics you are seeing have it.

It's possible that a previous owner swapped out the walnut for the brushed aluminum.

A car not spec'ed with heated seats would not come with the button in place. The only way it would was if A - There was some sort of substitution or mistake going on at the factory or B - The previous owner took out the old controls and swapped in new ones. It's possible that the previous owner took it out for some other reason, trying to add heated seats could be one of those reasons. If the controls failed somehow though - given the year of your vehicle I would think that the dealer would have replaced it under warranty. I guess the dealer could have ordered and installed the wrong part as well - it happens. If you can somehow get the service history prior to your ownership (hard to do) it will tell you if this has occurred.

Other than that - if a previous owner was trying to add heated seats - he'd need to also have the actual seats with the heating elements in them as I don't believe you can add them to standard seats after the fact.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,264 Posts
Well, you know for sure that the dash and stack that are in the car now weren't in it when it left the factory. Even if the original owner really wanted aluminum trim instead of walnut, he could have replaced just the trim pieces without adding a new HVAC control faceplate. Something is definitely fishy.

Maybe the airbags deploying in the accident did so much damage to the interior that the guy who rebuilt the salvage title found it easier to just replace the entire front stack with bits from another wrecked F31? Personally, I be much more concerned with determining whether or not you have working airbags vs. working seat heaters.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Well, you know for sure that the dash and stack that are in the car now weren't in it when it left the factory. Even if the original owner really wanted aluminum trim instead of walnut, he could have replaced just the trim pieces without adding a new HVAC control faceplate. Something is definitely fishy.

Maybe the airbags deploying in the accident did so much damage to the interior that the guy who rebuilt the salvage title found it easier to just replace the entire front stack with bits from another wrecked F31? Personally, I be much more concerned with determining whether or not you have working airbags vs. working seat heaters.
People dont just "replace the center air conditioning controls" and that car left the factory with burr walnut trim, not whats on there now.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one, and the SIMPLEST answer is that car was in an accident that required the replacement of most of the dash, including the center climate controls and the trim. At that point, the original owner might have asked for the aluminum trim... maybe the shop asked the owner and they said "sure put in the trim"?

"Clean car fax" means zero in this case. If you take it to a body shop that has a paint meter and have it checked, I would suspect you would find resprayed panels all across the front.

Whether you want to do that is up to you, because you may not like what you find, increasing your "I was misled" feeling.

The dealer may not know, or may have "looked the other way". If the car fax is clean, they have plausible deniability. We will never know, and no matter what the situation is, they would never admit it.

Of course, the previous owner COULD have replaced the center climate control and all of the trim for "some reason"... at a decent amount of cost, only to turn the car back in... possible, yes... likely, no.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You got bamboozled. The car has definitely been wrecked and you have no heated seats. Act fast if you want to try to come to an agreement with your dealer since you bought the car so long ago. Why did you wait so long to start asking questions about your heated seats? You might want to offer to pay them cents per mile to take the car back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.