BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport. Looking more closely at the car, I notice that the slots in the sides of the bumpers as well as the fender vents are actually open to the front wheel wells (see attached image) . I had assumed they were just decorative. I imagine this is a nod to brake cooling. But does it really do anything? It's pretty obvious how the ducts on either side of the intercooler would be effective. But the purpose of these vents doesn't seem so clear. Maybe they have an aerodynamic effect the helps pull more air through the main brake cooling ducts?

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Functional..........

During the cold weather when you make a turn you feel the rush of cold air coming into the cabin, the reverse is true during the warm weather, you'll feel a blast of warm air for rush in when you have the cabin cooled to a comfortable level with the A/Con.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I just bought a 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport. Looking more closely at the car, I notice that the slots in the sides of the bumpers as well as the fender vents are actually open to the front wheel wells (see attached image) . I had assumed they were just decorative. I imagine this is a nod to brake cooling. But does it really do anything? It's pretty obvious how the ducts on either side of the intercooler would be effective. But the purpose of these vents doesn't seem so clear. Maybe they have an aerodynamic effect the helps pull more air through the main brake cooling ducts?
I'd say more a nod to aero. but it can't hurt getting a bit more cooled air around the brakes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I guess BMW was not in love with this concept since my 2018 440ix does not have them. The fender trim is solid and when I removed it there is no opening in the fender.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,789 Posts
PHP:
I guess BMW was not in love with this concept since my 2018 440ix does not have them. The fender trim is solid and when I removed it there is no opening in the fender.
Please post pics.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
So if the fender vents on the 4-Series are functional, why don't the 3-Series models have them?

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's true. My dad just got his 2018 M430i and tried to transplant his painted bimmerangs from the 2015 M428i and they didn't fit. The LCI versions are different and he had to order a new set from IND today.
Hope your dad called IND and did not order through the website like I did. I put in 2018 and they sent me the wrong ones. They had no idea of the change with the LCI. This was a week ago. They looked into it and discovered the change and said that they would send me the correct ones with a postage paid label to return the incorrect ones. I have not received the correct ones yet.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,789 Posts
It's true. My dad just got his 2018 M430i and tried to transplant his painted bimmerangs from the 2015 M428i and they didn't fit. The LCI versions are different and he had to order a new set from IND today.
Forgot I had pictures on my ipad. The white one is the old version that I am sending back.
That is really odd for them to make such a change, because they just included functional vents on the new G30 and the G11/12.

·
False Enthusiast
1,669 Posts
I just looked, on my 2018 440 the vent is not open, so non functional. On the 2014, you could see a clear passage

Now it is ornamental. It doesn't matter to me but curious.

jummo

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,592 Posts
i just looked, on my 2018 440 the vent is not open, so non functional. On the 2014, you could see a clear passage

now it is ornamental. It doesn't matter to me but curious.

Jummo
+1

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good I found this thread . . . saved me time, expense, and aggravation of ordering CF functional vents for my non-functional 2018 M-Sport 440ix!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good I found this thread . . . saved me time, expense, and aggravation of ordering CF functional vents for my non-functional 2018 M-Sport 440ix!
It took my dad 4 weeks to get the proper painted Bimmerangs for his 2018. They are in very short supply in Germany.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts