BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left my F33 435i in airport parking over the weekend.

Returned to find gas gauge reading empty. Warning message came up indicating less than 1 mile of fuel.

Definitely had more than 1/4 tank when I parked and locked it.

Tried to drive out of parking lot and engine stumbled, then lost most power.

Now waiting for tow.

Anyone seen anything like this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
My guess is someone siphoned it on you. If there is no stains under your car from leaking. Happens a lot at the airport, I had it happen last year. I had 1/2 tank and came back 2 days later to a warning light and no gas.

Sorry to hear this happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is someone siphoned it on you. If there is no stains under your car from leaking. Happens a lot at the airport, I had it happen last year. I had 1/2 tank and came back 2 days later to a warning light and no gas.

Sorry to hear this happened

So you got siphoned even with the fuel filler door locked?

I still don't know what happened to my car. Tow truck driver suggested putting a few gallons into the tank, which we did.

Low fuel warning went off and the car started.

Stopped the engine, then noticed a good sized puddle of gas under the car, and gas dripping from one of the exhaust lines.

If the tank had been leaking Saturday morning, I certainly would have seen it in my garage.

Seems like something must have happened at the aiport, or on the way to it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So you got siphoned even with the fuel filler door locked?

I still don't know what happened to my car. Tow truck driver suggested putting a few gallons into the tank, which we did.

Low fuel warning went off and the car started.

Stopped the engine, then noticed a good sized puddle of gas under the car, and gas dripping from one of the exhaust lines.

If the tank had been leaking Saturday morning, I certainly would have seen it in my garage.

Seems like something must have happened at the aiport, or on the way to it.
Yes, but it wasn't a BMW that I had it was my dodge truck. Sorry should have said the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Siphoned? It happens at crematoria in S Wales.

Leak? Yep...that also. Ah...is that how it was robbed...gas pipe disconnected?

:eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Siphoned? It happens at crematoria in S Wales.

Leak? Yep...that also. Ah...is that how it was robbed...gas pipe disconnected?

:eek:
That's kind of what I'm thinking b/c there was no sign of tampering or forced entry at the fuel filler door.

Car is pretty low to the ground for someone to get under it to disconnect the gas pipe. But I guess it's possible.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Let us know what your BMW dealer discovered that "caused" the fuel leak - must have happened pretty close to the time you arrived at the airport or parking facility. Unusual for a supply or vent line to just fail esp on a newer car - but it does happen!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rules I live by to protect my car from hazards

I want to share some rules I live by to protect my bimmer(s) from hazards. I'd be interesting to hear words of wisdom from other like-minded forum members as well. In the years I owned BMWs I had no mishaps except from a few close calls that taught me some lessons.

1. Don't Let anyone else drive your car unless you trust them with your life

2. Never park close to the priority/handicap parking spaces; the farther you park, the less chance your car will get dinged by other careless drivers (people are LAZY, most aim for the closest spot)

3. Don't leave your car in parking structures that are not monitored by video surveillance

4. Don't drive side by side with other cars at matching speed - chances are they won't notice you if you appear static

5. Don't drive without a dual-dash cam system (you will save yourself of he-said/she-said arguments in case of a collision, especially if the other driver is a women with several "witnesses" in her car)

6. Don't leave your car in your driveway for extended periods of time (i.e.: overnight) - if you have a garage, use it for its intended purpose as opposed for storage; not sure if it's an Oregon thing but most of my neighbors like to keep their cars in the driveway while their garages are used as storage space

7. Don't let yourself tailgated by clunkers/trucks (especially if they're driven by hill-billies hauling 12"-tall US flags) or teenagers, step on the gas and let them disappear in your rear view mirror to never be seen again

·
Registered
43 Posts
7. Don't let yourself tailgated by clunkers/trucks (especially if they're driven by hill-billies hauling 12"-tall US flags) or teenagers, step on the gas and let them disappear in your rear view mirror to never be seen again
I agree... But a 12" flag is pretty inconspicuous. Hahaha

I don't think it's just an Oregon thing regarding the garages (born and raised in Eugene). Here in AZ it seems to be pretty common as well. I don't get it though, I would never leave my car outside when I have a perfectly good storage area.

·
Registered
496 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts