BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2019 F34 330ix GT that I just had wrapped (Black -> Tanzanite Blue). The wrap came out great, but the wrap guys pried off the driver door panel black plastic cup with door pull assembly. They tried to glue it back with black weatherstrip adhesive, but it didn't hold.

It appears that on this model the cup/pull assembly is an integral part of the inner door panel, and it is held on with factory-made melted plastic "mushrooms" from the inner side of the door panel. Unlike other models, there are no clips or screws involved, the holding stems get melted from the inside of the panel during build and it's a one-shot deal.

I would like to reattach the cup/pull assembly, and since I am at this point already, it would be nice to preserve the ability to pry this cup out in the future, while having it held securely now. The current stems don't reach all the way through the existing door panel mounting holes since the melted plastic buttons are gone. I would prefer not to pull the whole door panel off for this repair.

Of course I could just put some gobs of epoxy putty on each of the holding stems and call it a day...

I have cleaned off all of the weatherstrip adhesive from the mounting stems in the photos below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What about trying hot glue? The hot glue sticks come in various degrees of bonding strength. I'd be having the wrap guys send the car to the best upholsterer or body shop in town to safely remove the door panel & make the required fix, as well as footing the bill. You/they might be able to screw the cup onto the panel from behind.

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,644 Posts
I read somewhere the best way to re-attach this "cup" is to remove the door panel, place the cup back in place with the broken pegs protruding into the panel, then using a self-tapping screw and a washer, screw into the broken pegs, re-attach the cup into place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read somewhere the best way to re-attach this "cup" is to remove the door panel, place the cup back in place with the broken pegs protruding into the panel, then using a self-tapping screw and a washer, screw into the broken pegs, re-attach the cup into place.
OP: Just what I did. Original part was sufficient to attach with screws/washers from behind.

Thx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.