BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After successfully coding no-dazzle euro spec glare-free high beams in my 2014 F10, I was very familiar with how they work and look when coded correctly. I recently purchased a '15 F80, and quickly realized the "standard" coding we are used to (KAFAS + FEM_BODY + TLS + LHM), even adding ICM, wasn't working correctly. The lights were going through the correct motions and pivots, but the beam patterns were WAY off. They were not properly darkening for the car directly in front of me, resulting in me blinding the person ahead of me. Additionally, the beam pointed toward oncoming traffic wasn't fully low-beam, so I was getting brights flashed toward me regularly. Something wasn't right.

The other day I stumbled across opasha's thread in the X5 forum (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033991) about how he was having similar problems, so I tried his instructions tonight on my F80, and they worked. The end result is fantastic, and I wanted to pass along this info so others could code these vehicles correctly.

Note that the below steps advise to VO code every module except DME. Is that truly necessary? No, but until someone does a binary compare before and after of all the files to find out which ECU's truly need to be VO coded and which do not, this is simply the easiest method.

So, for F80/2/3 with LED leadlights and the high beam assistant, these are the (confirmed working!) instructions (lifted from opasha, as his instructions work verbatim for our cars as well). This results in the no-dazzle high beams working as they do in the F10 chassis with LED + high beam assistant:

Anti-Glare High Beam AKA "no-dazzle or anti-dazzle" euro spec high beams: Just follow the steps below to enable this great Euro feature for any car that has LEDs + HBA:

1) Remove 5AP and 8S4 from your FA and follow the proper steps on writing it to your car.

2) Read FA, Activate FA, Read ECU, VO Code (right click code) all ECUs EXCEPT DME (DME is your engine ECU, don't ever touch this ECU folder).

3) External Applications/External Application/Transmitter - Clear ALL DTCs

Variable Light Distribution: All you have to do is remove 8S4 from your FA, then VO Code FEM_Body. This is for both LED and Bi-Xenon.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical) (thank you shawnsheridan)

Clarification of VLD, HBA, and Anti-Glare/Anti-Dazzle (thank you skalberti):

VLD is Variable Light Distribution - It only works on your low beams to move your headlights and position the beams on the road depending on steering angle and vehicle speed.

HBA is High Beam Assistant - USA spec high beams that turn off in the presence of headlights or taillights of other cars and automatically turns the high beams on if no other cars are present.

Anti-Glare, Anti-Dazzle - European spec high beams that enable your car to keep the high beams on without blinding other cars.

If you're going to enable no-dazzle high beams or variable light distribution, do this work first, as it will wipe out any previously customized coding you have performed (you will need to re-do the coding again).

Many, many thanks to opasha who figured this out on 2015 X5's and X6's as it turns out, this coding is what is needed for the feature to work fully on F80/2/3's as well.

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
After successfully coding no-dazzle euro spec glare-free high beams in my 2014 F10, I was very familiar with how they work and look when coded correctly. I recently purchased a '15 F80, and quickly realized the "standard" coding we are used to (KAFAS + FEM_BODY + TLS + LHM), even adding ICM, wasn't working correctly. The lights were going through the correct motions and pivots, but the beam patterns were WAY off. They were not properly darkening for the car directly in front of me, resulting in me blinding the person ahead of me. Additionally, the beam pointed toward oncoming traffic wasn't fully low-beam, so I was getting brights flashed toward me regularly. Something wasn't right.

The other day I stumbled across opasha's thread in the X5 forum (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033991) about how he was having similar problems, so I tried his instructions tonight on my F80, and they worked. The end result is fantastic, and I wanted to pass along this info so others could code these vehicles correctly.

Note that the below steps advise to VO code every module except DME. Is that truly necessary? No, but until someone does a binary compare before and after of all the files to find out which ECU's truly need to be VO coded and which do not, this is simply the easiest method.

So, for F80/2/3 with LED leadlights and the high beam assistant, these are the (confirmed working!) instructions (lifted from opasha, as his instructions work verbatim for our cars as well). This results in the no-dazzle high beams working as they do in the F10 chassis with LED + high beam assistant:

Anti-Glare High Beam AKA "no-dazzle or anti-dazzle" euro spec high beams: Just follow the steps below to enable this great Euro feature for any car that has LEDs + HBA:

1) Remove 5AP and 8S4 from your FA and follow the proper steps on writing it to your car.

2) Read FA, Activate FA, Read ECU, VO Code (right click code) all ECUs EXCEPT DME (DME is your engine ECU, don't ever touch this ECU folder).

3) External Applications/External Application/Transmitter - Clear ALL DTCs

Variable Light Distribution: All you have to do is remove 8S4 from your FA, then VO Code FEM_Body. This is for both LED and Bi-Xenon.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical) (thank you shawnsheridan)

Clarification of VLD, HBA, and Anti-Glare/Anti-Dazzle (thank you skalberti):

VLD is Variable Light Distribution - It only works on your low beams to move your headlights and position the beams on the road depending on steering angle and vehicle speed.

HBA is High Beam Assistant - USA spec high beams that turn off in the presence of headlights or taillights of other cars and automatically turns the high beams on if no other cars are present.

Anti-Glare, Anti-Dazzle - European spec high beams that enable your car to keep the high beams on without blinding other cars.

If you're going to enable no-dazzle high beams or variable light distribution, do this work first, as it will wipe out any previously customized coding you have performed (you will need to re-do the coding again).

Many, many thanks to opasha who figured this out on 2015 X5's and X6's as it turns out, this coding is what is needed for the feature to work fully on F80/2/3's as well.
if you send me the ncd files before and after i can compare them for you pretty easily

1 - 4 of 4 Posts