BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my factory alarm has gone haywire, I cant start my car.

It started out that the remote would open the doors but then the car wouldnt start. First time I got out, re-locked the doors, unlocked them and it worked. Now each time the process has gotten more and more complicated to the point where now nothing works.

Even when using the key, the alarm doesnt disable. I open it up, but only the side Im using the key with opens (usually both doors open), but no lights come on, nothing, and the car doesnt start. Both the key and the remote should disable the alarm. I open the door, start futzing around trying different things to get it to work until the alarm goes off, and then Im looking like a jackass on my street closing doors, trying remote and using the key to shut the thing off.

What can I do? help!

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
kem said:
So my factory alarm has gone haywire, I cant start my car.

It started out that the remote would open the doors but then the car wouldnt start. First time I got out, re-locked the doors, unlocked them and it worked. Now each time the process has gotten more and more complicated to the point where now nothing works.

Even when using the key, the alarm doesnt disable. I open it up, but only the side Im using the key with opens (usually both doors open), but no lights come on, nothing, and the car doesnt start. Both the key and the remote should disable the alarm. I open the door, start futzing around trying different things to get it to work until the alarm goes off, and then Im looking like a jackass on my street closing doors, trying remote and using the key to shut the thing off.

What can I do? help!
Do both locks open via the key when you lock the car using the key?

Unplug the alarm harness black 12 pin connector behind the glove box and see if it works door lock, unlock and start wise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No both doors do NOT open with the key. Im just thinking, if I open up the car and start tinkering with the alarm, surely it will go off since its not disabled. Currently I cannot get it to disable. I can open the door without it going off, but once I start doing stuff (say opening the trunk) the alarm goes off.

My only hope is that it will finally disarm, and then I can double check all connections... unless someone else has an idea.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
I'd do what Ron says and see if that has any affect. You can also try to reprogram the remotes into the alarm to see if it works normally afterwards.

Preparation
1. Close all doors, trunk, and hood.
2. The security system must be in 'disarm' mode. The key must be removed from the ignition key slot.

Enter Code-Learning Mode
3. Open the trunk and leave it open
4. Open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat.
5. Close the driver's door.
6. Cycle the ignition switch five times between the 'OFF' position and position 2, (ignition 'ON', all dash warning lamps will illuminate). The red status LED will illuminate continuously, and the siren will 'chirp' once, to indicate that the code-learning mode has been initated.

Do not start the engine.
The ignition switch cycling in step #6 must be preformed within 45 seconds.

Register/Delete ID Code(s)
7. Open the driver's door, (remain seated in driver's seat).
8. Close driver's door.
9. Press and release any button on the remote you wish to register into the system. The status LED will shut off momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.
10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 to register the remaining three ID codes.

It is possible for the system to memorize a total of four different ID codes. As a new code is initalized into memory, the oldest code in memory is automattically deleted. If you had lost your remotes and wished to delete the lost remote ID codes from memory, you could initialize the ID code from a newly purchased replacement transmitter four times thereby deleteing the previous ID codes from system memory.

Exiting Code-Learning mode
11. Open driver's door, and exit from vehicle, leaving the door open.
12. Close trunk.
13. Close driver's door. The LED will turn off and the siren will 'chirp' twice.
14. The initalization procedure is now completed; test all remotes to confirm operation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.