Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted a factory solution for gps/phone/texting etc. that didn't look aftermarket. I looked at all the other options out there but they looked odd in my E83. All of them required the Business CD radio to be switched to "aux" to function. I was not interested in this. After doing months and months of research, I finally pulled the trigger on the old tech BMW Navigation Portable Plus unit that was offered as a dealer add-on up until 2013-15ish. There are several old posts from 2010 on various forums discussing these units but apparently, not many people chose to go this route.

I liked that these units were hard-wired to the car and used a mounting box that replaced the dash storage box as I did not want to see any wires dangling in front of my dash. The Traffic Cable that is usually part of the power cable on most suction cup GPS units. On these units though, the cable is hidden and wired into the unit's cradle.

I discovered that these units are no longer available in the US nor are the traffic cables. The last unit produced was a BMW badged Garmin Nuvi 3490. Others have just purchased the mounting "box" and installed any Garmin unit my just drilling a hole into the back of the box, splicing the car's wiring with a female cig lighter port, and plugging the Garmin cord into that - with everything hidden behind the dash. An attractive possibility for me, but I wanted all OEM for this project.

I searched and searched for the three pieces and finally found the BMW badged unit and proprietary BMW cradle in Latvia, the traffic cable in Latvia and the mounting box from the dealer.

After weeks of waiting for parts to arrive, I have success! The units come with no maps preinstalled so that they could be sold worldwide then the dealer would sell SD card maps for whatever region that you were in. This posed some problems as all functions of the unit were not enabled because of this. After spending hours and hours on GPS forums, I was able to modify the unit so that all Nuvi 3490 options are now enabled.

So, I can use my voice to enter a route, use the phone, receive texts, receive traffic alerts, and much more just like 'modern' cars that you would buy today that would already have these features installed from the factory. And it's portable so can be used for walking routes too. (Or to hide it when your're parking at the mall.)

The wiring was a little bit tricky but I just took my time and swore a lot. The splash screen has a modern model BMW Logo that comes up and it looks very attractive seamlessly fitting into the cars interior. It powers on with the ignition on and shuts off with the ignition off. I can listen to Sirius, the radio, CDs and aux port while still maintaining all of the functions of this little unit. The speaker embedded in the cradle is very loud and clear.

Parts needed:
GPS unit BMW Navigation Portable Plus - 65902303168
Integrated Traffic Cable - 65902101422
Mounting box Portable Navigation Retrofit Kit - 65900445996
BMW North America Road Map SD Card - 65902407332

Sorry to go on and on but this was a cool project for me.

It looks pretty good installed!

Attachments

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Nice!

I wish mine had built-in satellite radio, I have to use a stand-alone radio mounted on a dash vent because I'm too cheap to get the factory parts for the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine came pre-wired for satellite radio so I found the unit #65120440550 used on ebay a few years ago for around $140. Took 5-10 minutes to install and I have really enjoyed having it!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Nice!

I wish mine had built-in satellite radio, I have to use a stand-alone radio mounted on a dash vent because I'm too cheap to get the factory parts for the car.

Mine has it and I loved it for 9 years. Last January I randomly lost half of the stations I pay for.

For example, channel 25 just disappeared. You can’t tune it, if you hit the preset it doesn’t go there. 24 and 26 are still there....same for 28 to 31 and so on...just gone.

No one could give me an answer but I suspect they upgraded something and our 10 year old tuners didn’t like it.

I know conspiracy theory but someone had to motivate you to buy a new car....kinda like the old 5 digit odo....total marketing ploy. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Yeah I make do with the add-on radio from Sirius. When it craps out, they send me a new one free. Been doing that since 2005. I have 3 turned on and working but only pay for 2.

Everything’s negotiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
485 Posts
Trying to get the sirius bracket holder for the tuner....it's in the installation kit, 84110390240. Sadly that kit is discontinued :cry:
No dealer has it in stock.....any ideas where I can find this part from? Otherwise I'm gonna have to use L/straight brackets from home depot :rofl:

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Trying to get the sirius bracket holder for the tuner....it's in the installation kit, 84110390240. Sadly that kit is discontinued :cry:
No dealer has it in stock.....any ideas where I can find this part from? Otherwise I'm gonna have to use L/straight brackets from home depot :rofl:
Go with the HD brackets; it's far cheaper, easier, and hidden. Nothing wrong with making your own parts. :thumbup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not sure if they can actually get one , but Pelican shows it available. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/84110390240.htm . my ebay unit actually came with the bracket attached and the bolts to attach it were already on the car.
I tried and Pelican cancelled the order (since they don't have the part in stock). Same issue with the online listings from other dealers....it looks like it's in stock, but when ordered, it'll be cancelled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts