BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my car came with the factory luggage rack, the one that it attached by bolts through the trunk lid, originally it had chrome bolts that you could use to plug the holes when you took the rack off, sadly I don't have those and neither does BMW, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Terry

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,172 Posts
So you have holes in your trunk lid. Nice threaded chrome sleeves with no bolts to fill them? And you just want to fill the little holes?

You could go to the hardware store and buy some likely looking bolts to see what threads match the sleeves. Probably metric and fine pitched.

If you find a match, then look for chromed bolts online.
https://www.boltdepot.com/chrome-nuts-and-bolts.aspx
Carriage bolts look nice, but usually have a square shoulder under the head that will prevent them from fitting down onto the trunk.

Or, just look for chromed acorn nuts to fit plain bolts threaded up from the inside.

If matching threads is too much, then just push up a smaller bolt from the inside and put a chromed acorn nut on the outside.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I have the rack on my trunk lid, so it is filling the holes right now, it is made to take off, from the factory it came with these chrome bolts that would fill the holes so you can remove the rack when your not traveling, which is what I would like to do, I was hoping someone would be familiar with the rack and have a suggestion.
It's actually kind of cool as racks go, the nuts inside the trunk have little folding handles on them to make it easy to take off, the rack also came with luggage that locked onto it, then had soft luggage inside of that so you could take the soft bag and leave the shell on the rack, I don't have either of those items either dang it.
Thanks again.
Terry

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,172 Posts
... I have the rack on my trunk lid, so it is filling the holes right now... the nuts inside the trunk have little folding handles on them to make it easy to take off...
So the holes are not threaded. That makes it easier. Just get any bolts that fill the holes, of the right length, and chrome acorn nuts to fit them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK so my car came with the factory luggage rack, the one that it attached by bolts through the trunk lid, originally it had chrome bolts that you could use to plug the holes when you took the rack off, sadly I don't have those and neither does BMW, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Terry
I would contact the parts department at BMW of South Atlanta. I live in CA and have used them for hard to find original trim pieces. (770)969-0755. They may be able to help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had luck in the past by buying finish trim items from nautical suppliers. The items are designed for rough conditions and it is amazing to see the range of selection available.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so what I was hoping to do was use the original nut things that hold the rack on, but it would have taken a very small sized bolt with a very large sized head, I have no idea why but the holes that the rack go into are quite large, but the hilt ends are quite small, anyway I just got oversized button head bolts, and wing nuts so problem solved just now the way I was hoping.
Thanks again for the help.
Terry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
Hope someone can help.
I have an issue with those same bolts, one of them is rusted solid and will not budge.
Anyone dealt with similar issue?
I have tried WD40, various tools, hammering, and brute force.
The little bastard is unmovable. I sincerely do not want to use a cutter but might be last resort.
Thanks

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,172 Posts
Electric heat gun or soldering iron or pencil torch - to warm the stuck bolt but not enough to harm the paint around the rack mount. For the heat gun, apply a few layers of masking tape around the mount to insulate the paint. Keep touching the trunk lid by the mount, to not exceed the temperature produced by a hot sunny day. Heat is usually used to help penetrants, but if this application looks too risky, skip it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Electric heat gun or soldering iron or pencil torch - to warm the stuck bolt but not enough to harm the paint around the rack mount. For the heat gun, apply a few layers of masking tape around the mount to insulate the paint. Keep touching the trunk lid by the mount, to not exceed the temperature produced by a hot sunny day. Heat is usually used to help penetrants, but if this application looks too risky, skip it.
Here is some irrelavant knowledge...those z3 trunk attachment brackets will also work on the the mgb gt roof rack...chuckle...
Thank you both for the replies.
I opted to use a drill instead, 6 and 8. Basically destroyed the screw and thread of the bolt. Replaced with the luggage rack and 4 new wing nuts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts