BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. In your experience, how long is the BMW factory tour? We have a tour reservation at 11:45 on delivery day, and I noticed BMW recommends setting aside up to two hours for the tour. I ask because we want to pre-buy tickets to Neuschwanstein castle, which appears to require you to arrive an hour before your booked time and to be ready on time, or otherwise lose your reservation. I want to be sure to set that time far enough in advance. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have the exact same question, sort of. Except our plan is to take delivery and drive to the castles as our first stop (after fuel). I'll be in September, when crowds are hopefully a little smaller. Think I'm just going to take my chances and not reserve in advance. In worst case I will only be able to see the outside of the castles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the exact same question, sort of. Except our plan is to take delivery and drive to the castles as our first stop (after fuel). I'll be in September, when crowds are hopefully a little smaller. Think I'm just going to take my chances and not reserve in advance. In worst case I will only be able to see the outside of the castles.
Ticket's aren't too expensive, so I plan on buying them, hoping I can make it in time, and if I do not just wait in line or skip the tour if the wait is too long. That way at least I have the chance of going right in! My wife really wants to take the tour, and I don't want to let her down :)

·
m.potash
186 Posts
2 hours is about right when you include the walk to and from the delivery center to the factory. Plus the time driving out of Munich to the castle, parking, etc

·
Registered
589 Posts
U get a full tank of gas now. No need to stop for fuel.

I remember the tour itself was about 1.5 hours. But there is some walking to and from the welt to the factory. about 2 hours total to set aside is about right.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
It was 2 hours from leaving the Welt to returning to the welt - including the short video presentation.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
U get a full tank of gas now. No need to stop for fuel.
I've seen a few comments regarding this which is weird. I have done 3 ED's - Nov 2005, April 2009 and June 2016 and had a full tank of fuel on each one.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've seen a few comments regarding this which is weird. I have done 3 ED's - Nov 2005, April 2009 and June 2016 and had a full tank of fuel on each one.
When the Welt first opened they stopped giving full tanks, supposedly for storage issues. Americans now get a full tank but last I heard Europeans do not

·
Registered
104 Posts
We did the same on our ED a month and a half ago. From what I remember, the tour ended in an hour, and we hit the road right after. We drove via Landsberg am Lech and made a stop at Weiskirche, and then at the Neuschwanstein photo point. I think we got to the ticket counter by 3.30pm for our tour scheduled at 5.25pm. This gave us enough time to walk around as well. We got lucky with traffic but it could be worse on a weekend. Hope this helps..

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
We did the same on our ED a month and a half ago. From what I remember, the tour ended in an hour, and we hit the road right after.
I would certainly not count on the tour finishing in an hour. As turpiwa stated above, it's about two hours. Same in May as it was five years ago. If you count on it being an hour and it runs the full two hours, you can't just leave the tour and go back to the Welt, you're there until the tour goes back to the Welt.

Regarding gas, when we did Euro Delivery five years ago for my wife's 335is Coupe, we had only about a quarter tank of gas. We had a tour at the Dingolfing plant and we couldn't find the gas station on the piece of paper we were give at the Welt. We looked at the distance on the Nav, looked at range on the dash, and decided we had enough gas to make it to Dingolfing.

Last May, for my M4 Euro Delivery, I had a full tank as did everyone else in our group delivery, a total of 13 M cars. But don't assume that you're going to have a full tank and you won't have to stop for gas, assume that you will have to stop for gas and plan accordingly. Better to be early than late. That goes for every other part of your Euro Delivery. Don't try planning things down to the wire because you can never plan on traffic or weather.

·
just a fool
119 Posts
The tour is exactly 2 hours - you know how the Germans are. The drive to the castle could depend on how much construction there is on the road. When we went there, there was no line for the pick up.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Yes I did it 23 days ago and was definately 2 hours.
Another point I would make is that if you are worried that a fuel stop is going to make you late - you've already cut it too fine. Gas stations along the autobahn are regular and efficient. As well as that you definitely need to allow some fudge for construction. Construction is at a high at the moment around the Munich area.
Someone mentioned Landsberg - that is a fantastic place. Very historical. We happened to go there because friends live in Eresing - just down the road - and took us there. That is where the prison is that Hitler was in and also where Johnny Cash bought his first guitar when stationed there and - I am led to believe - where he wrote the Folsom Prison song.
There is also a great monastery with restaurant and brewery near Eresing - similar to Andechs but without a million tourists - which had amazing food and beer :)
But I digress...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Unless things have recently changed, U.S. European Delivery customers get their cars with a full tank of gas so no need to worry about a fuel stop before heading off to the castles. We have always taken our chances on getting tickets with no problem. There is actually a line that you can get into at the ticket counter that is inside the ticket building on the far right side which allows you to skip the big long line. The sign clearly states you can get into that line but most people don't read the sign and just follow the herd like sheep staying in the long line. If I recall correctly the short line is for persons intending to take the next available tour as opposed to buying tickets in advance.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Unless things have recently changed, U.S. European Delivery customers get their cars with a full tank of gas so no need to worry about a fuel stop before heading off to the castles. We have always taken our chances on getting tickets with no problem. There is actually a line that you can get into at the ticket counter that is inside the ticket building on the far right side which allows you to skip the big long line. The sign clearly states you can get into that line but most people don't read the sign and just follow the herd like sheep staying in the long line. If I recall correctly the short line is for persons intending to take the next available tour as opposed to buying tickets in advance.
Very good tip on the separate line (hopefully the sign is in English too).

While on this topic, presuming you take things at a normal pace (the full experience), how long from the time of your scheduled delivery until you are driving your victory lap and out the door?

·
just a fool
119 Posts
Very good tip on the separate line (hopefully the sign is in English too).

While on this topic, presuming you take things at a normal pace (the full experience), how long from the time of your scheduled delivery until you are driving your victory lap and out the door?
It was less than 30 minutes for me, including parking the car in the Welt garage. They are very flexible. If you tell them you have owned BMW before, they will not go over every detail with you. But you can ask whatever question and spend as much time as possible with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the helpful info everyone. Will definitely assume the full 2 hours and plan accordingly. Of course, updates o be provided on how it all goes when the time comes!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
It better be only two hours, My delivery is 15 min after the tour ends lol.

Nati
That's poor planning - how can you focus on a factory tour knowing your delivery is waiting for you :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts