Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stainless steel window trims on my 1 yr old 330i have started to get a faded look to them (picture attached). Does anyone know if there's a cleaner I can use to remove the faded look?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling it's wax residue...

I have a feeling it's wax residue from always using a touchless car wash (w/ the cheap wax option) during the winter months. The last time I waxed the car myself was last summer. I used Zaino.

Would it be a good idea to use something like Dawn to wash the car in order to remove the old wax and this residue?

·
Registered
79 Posts
DONT USE DISHWASHING SOAP !!

Whatever you do.....don't use dishwashing liquid. Guarantee to do some serious damage to the paint and trim. The damage will appear later on as the soap blends into the paint.

Don't know if you take your car to an automatic car wash. It does appear that the stain is residue.

I would consult some local body / detail shops to see what they have to say.

I don't know what the trim is made of. Some are really metal but lately it's a thin metal layer on top of plastic with a plastic coating on top of the metal trim.

Unless otherwise instructed, I may try some polish as a last resort. Real polish is a light abrasive. Believe it or not....toothpaste may also work. Make sure to rinse completely. The sweetners in toothpaste may do damage.

Hopefully, some of our fellow bimmerfest-ian's have some body work experience.

Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: DONT USE DISHWASHING SOAP !!

bmwsfca said:
Whatever you do.....don't use dishwashing liquid. Guarantee to do some serious damage to the paint and trim. The damage will appear later on as the soap blends into the paint.

Don't know if you take your car to an automatic car wash. It does appear that the stain is residue.

I would consult some local body / detail shops to see what they have to say.

I don't know what the trim is made of. Some are really metal but lately it's a thin metal layer on top of plastic with a plastic coating on top of the metal trim.

Unless otherwise instructed, I may try some polish as a last resort. Real polish is a light abrasive. Believe it or not....toothpaste may also work. Make sure to rinse completely. The sweetners in toothpaste may do damage.

Hopefully, some of our fellow bimmerfest-ian's have some body work experience.

Good luck.
I always thought that you were supposed to use dishwashing soap to remove the wax....what are you supposed to use???

·
5,820 Posts
It's not the wax from the touchless, it's the soap. I had this same reaction on mine, however, it's most pronounced in warm weather and not cold. Below about 40 degrees mine will not discolor. Dishwashing soap, Dawn, did not affect mine at all. I restored mine immediately after I first noticed the problem. Used the finest steel wool that I could find and that did it. Next time I had a slight residue, I used Eagle One's NEVR-DULL, a great product. I don't know if you will be able to completely restore your trim since you've let it go this far but I'd certainly try the Nevr-Dull and steel wool route. Nevr-Dull is in a small (4") silver can with black writing and is found in most popular auto supply stores. It's a treated wad that you rub on the trim. If it doesn't work, since your car is still under warranty, I'd have it replaced and then keep up with the discoloration as it occurs. Also, when you've cleaned it up, get a good, heavy coat of wax on the trim and touch it up regularly. My brother's Audi has the same problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts