Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 530i with CCC professional headunit. I’d like to upgrade to CIC but prices for the kits are all over the place. Some are 2k which is not even close to being worthwhile on a car only worth 4K. Has anyone here done a retrofit?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have a 2005 530i with CCC professional headunit. I’d like to upgrade to CIC but prices for the kits are all over the place. Some are 2k which is not even close to being worthwhile on a car only worth 4K. Has anyone here done a retrofit?
Market value of the vehicle is irrelevant if you are keeping it for enjoyment.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Market value of the vehicle is irrelevant if you are keeping it for enjoyment.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
True, and I do love driving it. Ive found the hardware set for 890 on eBay but I’d need to code it myself. Im tempted to go that route but I’d be bummed if I bought it and found that it wouldn’t work.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i just payed $1K for all of my parts. it came programmed. i just had to code the car for it and code specifics for my Night Vision.

i am not onto installing the Combox retrofit.

G~

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just payed $1K for all of my parts. it came programmed. i just had to code the car for it and code specifics for my Night Vision.

i am not onto installing the Combox retrofit.

G~
Nice! May I ask where you found such a stellar deal?

·
Registered
587 Posts
eBay. sedwilkins is the seller.

he has one up now for $850. i gave him my VIN and he did the coding for the CIC. i just had to do the coding for the vehicle. changing its VO.

i also needed to buy a new video adaptor for my backup camera. you may also need to buy an emulator for vehicle in motion.

i was able to find a FSC decoder for free, so i could download the newest maps.

all of this is on the forums. it may take a bit to search it all down. mine is a 2008, so i did not need the LCI climate control cover.

G~

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
eBay. sedwilkins is the seller.

he has one up now for $850. i gave him my VIN and he did the coding for the CIC. i just had to do the coding for the vehicle. changing its VO.

i also needed to buy a new video adaptor for my backup camera. you may also need to buy an emulator for vehicle in motion.

i was able to find a FSC decoder for free, so i could download the newest maps.

all of this is on the forums. it may take a bit to search it all down. mine is a 2008, so i did not need the LCI climate control cover.

G~
Nice! Did you install it yourself? Did you need to do anything other than quick change in your Vehicle Order? I have a pre-lci, so I'm wondering if I will need to have modules updated in order for it to work. I have HUD on mine as well.

Nav and voice control do not work without FSC code, correct?

·
Registered
587 Posts
yes, i installed it myself.

i had to do some other coding. i had to switch a video input for my night vision camera. that was the hardest part, but i have poked around with BMW coding for many years. i am not sure what other modules may need to be updated. i would check through some of the CIC retrofit threads to double check.

the reason i went with the CIC upgrade instead of the NBT was because of the HUD and the vented seat options. these modules can not communicate properly with the NBT system. if they did i would have gone with the NBT upgrade.

correct. you will need a FSC code to get updated maps anyway. not sure on the voice control, as putting in updated maps and the FSC code was the first thing i did after getting the CIC installed. do not pay for a FSC code. there are VIN decoders for getting FSC codes. not sure easy to find, but they are out there.

G~

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, i installed it myself.

correct. you will need a FSC code to get updated maps anyway. not sure on the voice control, as putting in updated maps and the FSC code was the first thing i did after getting the CIC installed. do not pay for a FSC code. there are VIN decoders for getting FSC codes. not sure easy to find, but they are out there.

G~
So your HUD works just fine with CIC? I'm going to poke around the forums to see what else is needed. I haven't done coding with the BMW tools yet, but I'm a systems admin so I'm sure I'll figure it out. :rofl:

I know you need a FSC code to install maps, did you just generate one for the maps? FSC code to enable navigation and voice control are about $1400 from BMW, but I think that's what the emulator is for.

How long ago did you do your retrofit?

·
Registered
587 Posts
yes, the HUD works fine. navigation instructions show up in the HUD. it would work with NBT, but navigation instructions would not show up in the HUD with NBT. it will only show up with CIC. the e60 came with CIC in 2010, so this is a straight up retrofit. the coding is all in the daten's.

it takes a bit to get ones head around dealing with german or roughly translated german to find what you are looking for when coding. there are a lot of easy to follow instructions out there. just find one that is written in a way that makes sense to you.

i generated a lifetime FSC code and so far it has worked for 2 map upgrades. 2018-1 and a 2019-1 map update. these can also be found around the forums. the FSC generator uses your VIN. you can then pick single use or lifetime. not sure why you would pick single use, but it is an option.

the emulator does allow video in motion/voice activation/navigation. the chances of your CIC coming with an updated map pack is very low. you will be needing a FSC code sooner rather than later.

i did the retrofit in Nov.

i would only go for the updated iDrive controller if you are very good at woodworking, or your interior trim was also available in 2009-2010 when the newer iDrive controller was available. . the old iDrive controller works fine with the CIC. you may even be able to get the kit for $100 less if you say you do not want the controller. i do like having the updated iDrive controller, but it took some good template making and router skills to do it right. if you are lucky and you have a common wood trim color that was still used in 2009-2010 you can buy the center console trim that already has the correct hole in it. my vehicle has a wood trim that was only offered in 2008, so the only way i could add the newer iDrive controller would be if i routed my original console.

G~

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reefin dude, where is best way to obtain coding software kit? Some of the cable vendors on amazon ship a cd with the required software. Sound like a good or bad idea?

I thought about using the old idrive controller but I haven’t found anything about haptic feedback. The knob has simulated clicks, if you will, when the car is off there is no resistance. Wasn’t sure if cic would offer that or not.

·
Registered
587 Posts
on this forum and others tend to have a bundle of software. the first set i got was with the cable. the cable is the important part. the software is out there and fairly easy to find free. it is the cable that needs to be from a known good supplier. i got mine many years ago and can not remember where, sorry. check within the Coding forum here and see what the current good supplier is.

well it looks like BMW turned off the Haptic feel on 2008 cars. that explains why i was having a hard time figuring out what you were talking about as mine did not have it. i guess i could have coded it back on, but i got used to it and from what i have read it was a love it or hate it thing, and i think i may not have loved it. i did a lot of free spinning in playlists. :D

the newer iDrive controller (multi-button) does not have haptic. it is just mechanical. the options button is nice. the back button comes in handy on occasion, the others i do not use that much. if i could code the CD button to go to something else, than i may use them more. i have not looked into this at all, but i expect somewhere it can be done.

G~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts