BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

fair price for silver '05 330xi with <7k miles

1882 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  SWC
I have to sell my mother-in-laws silver 2005 330xi. It has <7k miles. It is in excellent condition, always garaged in MA. It used to be driven 1/week, however she has not driven it in the past year. (She is 82)! I purchased it new for her 7 years ago for $44k. It has cold weather package, premium package, xenon headlights and is an automatic. ANY help, suggestions, opinions are welcome. Will list it on e-bay this week-end with 30 pics.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
now that would be a sweet ride to own, a brand new E46, i'd love to see how she runs :D
Do you have a price range in mind?
Something like 25-30k$?
Maybe it's old, but can't find another in such shape ever.
+1, these are 1 of those cars that the dealer may give you more money in trade-in and sale vs a private party.

Cross referencing the value via Edmunds TMV, NADA and KBB will usually get you a good average market starting price. However, this doesn't really factor in what you would actually get in the real world market, but it's a great starting point.

How's the maintenance on the car? I know it's got low mileage but due to the age it's still has to be maintained. Tires and rubber dry rot over time if not used or are stored in a climate controlled garage, oil change(s) should have been done due to the length of non-use, battery needs to be checked for condition, etc. All the same maintenance due to non-use should still be kept up but based on month/year not mileage.

We have an 04 Honda Odyssey with only 48K miles and I have to follow the month/year maintenance schedule instead of the mileage.
Something like 25-30k$?
Maybe it's old, but can't find another in such shape ever.
thanks for the help

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and help. I listed the car on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200810810031#ht_500wt_1182

with a reasonable reserve based on this info. I hope somebody will really enjoy this car, it really has a free revving, fun engine with fantastic handling - a great car (of course you people know all of this) .
Wish I would have place or need in my garage. I am now determined to test drive the next 3 series wagon in the spring of 2013. If it handles anything like this car - the decision for which small wagon to buy will be very, very quick.
I can appreciate the car only has 7k miles, but your asking price is far above the actual value. You can't add $10k to the price just because it only has 7k miles. You can buy an 08-09 335i or xi for $25k. Too bad you aren't parting it out, that engine would be a nice spare for my ZHP.
asking price???

One of us is confused. What asking price? I have no asking price. It is an auction on e-bay. I have placed a reserve that is "in line" with the various published used book values.
In post #5 you said $25-30k is what you wanted for it. So I guess you are the one confused.
One of us is confused. What asking price? I have no asking price. It is an auction on e-bay. I have placed a reserve that is "in line" with the various published used book values.
Oh I see your confusion. Have a look again. That post was written by lgr122 NOT me.
That was just some rough estimate what i think is the car's value.
Not sure if can get so much when selling though.
Was expecting others to make their own opinion.
And I am grateful for the estimate as there is obviously no correct answer or a way to determine the right answer/price. The nice thing about an auction (provided that lots of people are interested) is that the "right" price is determined. Thanks again for your input.
In any event, this is obviously a "special" vehicle, and should accordingly command a premium over lesser cars. An auction is usually a good barometer of what supply & demand will bring to the party.
Good luck with the sale !
Well, I guess that makes me confused and a dumb ass. Oops
Oh I see your confusion. Have a look again. That post was written by lgr122 NOT me.
wow you've already reached 17.400$ :yikes:
good luck :thumbup:
Epilogue

To finish this story - the car was sold for $18k. The selling experience was rather interesting - as you can imagine.
Fortunately it was sold to a guy who is intending to drive it for 200k miles and wanted to start with a "fresh car" vs. the guy who did not buy it because there were minor scratched on the clear coat on the door panel. For me the joy comes from driving not looking at it as part of a "collection". Chacon a son gout!
What a great car!
So, in the end, *you* got an OK deal, and so did the buyer....everybody should be so lucky ! :thumbup:

Congrats on the sale....
To finish this story - the car was sold for $18k. The selling experience was rather interesting - as you can imagine.
Fortunately it was sold to a guy who is intending to drive it for 200k miles and wanted to start with a "fresh car" vs. the guy who did not buy it because there were minor scratched on the clear coat on the door panel. For me the joy comes from driving not looking at it as part of a "collection". Chacon a son gout!
What a great car!
Lucky guy!

He bought great car to drive for very long time. :thumbup:
Those scratches can be fixed and then again might get more... can't be in perfect shape all the time when using your car, but everything can be taken care of.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.