BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so my 1995 325i doesn't have heat. I assume the problem is that my fan clutch won't disengage. I tried the newspaper test and it wouldn't stop (engine was dead cold.)

The engine won't get up to temperature, but the needle does move up about one notch after running awhile. I'm guessing the thermostat is still in working order.

The previous owner said he replaced the fan clutch with something that wasn't oem around one year ago. I'm thinking it was just a defective part and if I replace it I will have heat.

Is there a way to just stop the fan from spinning since it's going to be < 40*F for the next few months?

What do you think?

Thanks!

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
The thermostat may be stuck in the open position.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Thermostat is stuck in the open position. If your thermostat was working it wouldn't make any difference that your fan is spinning at full engine rpms, the thermostat would adjust the flow to keep the engine at proper temp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds right to me. Replacing the thermostat is a little over my head, so I'll just have a garage do it.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Maybe you have air inside the engine bleed it out from the coolant and then check if the heater starts throwing warm air out
First, you have to have some reason for air to get into the cooling system, such as draining the coolant. Second, usually if you have enough air in the system to have not heat, you also have no coolant flow and you get an engine over heat. The OP has the opposite of this.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You can put a piece of cardboard over half of your radiator. Lots of people did this when I was growing up in WI. Like a winter front on a semi truck. fixing the therm would be best. Not hard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts