BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to remove the fan clutch? I read somewhere else on a video that they guy had taken off the four 10 mm nuts and got it that way somehow. So i tried that and all that is loose is the plate that they screw into that covers the water pump pulley. I did read about the fan clutch tool and i bought one now but its a PITA to try to get those four screws back in and then put the tool on it. Is there any way it can be done without trying to put the 4 scews and plate back on?

Also i have already loosened the belt... if that matters

·
Registered
480 Posts
What is the easiest way to remove the fan clutch? I read somewhere else on a video that they guy had taken off the four 10 mm nuts and got it that way somehow. So i tried that and all that is loose is the plate that they screw into that covers the water pump pulley. I did read about the fan clutch tool and i bought one now but its a PITA to try to get those four screws back in and then put the tool on it. Is there any way it can be done without trying to put the 4 scews and plate back on?

Also i have already loosened the belt... if that matters
Only effective method really is since you have the tools, use the bolt holder and hold two bolts WHILE turning the fan clockwise to loosen it. I have tried every method without using a tool, but the only way is actually loosening it.
BTW what are you doing exactly? Replacing the clutch or water pump or belt, or all?

·
Registered
879 Posts
The water pump needs to be locked down. For that I used a chain wrench. Then I bought an air chisel wrench set as mine was TIGHT. Make sure you remember that the threads are LEFT HAND.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts