BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I may be dumb. I have shot it up with liquid wrench, I have 1 1/4 inch wrench. I am facing the engine and trying to turn it clockwise towards the drivers side. I am using a long screwdriver to hold the water pump in place.

No luck at all. I am in California the weather is nice to heat or cold issues. I am getting plenty of torque on the wrench. My son and I have both tried and walked away panting.

Any thoughts

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Get the wrench tight, then smack the side of the wrench with a deadblow hammer, or similar. Often times you need a good whack or two to break it free, instead of constant torque. Just don't break anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try that last night but I will try again this morning. The Liquid Wrench has been on it all night

·
Registered
39 Posts
My shop had to buy a tool to hold everything in place and torque it off. Look YouTube. For some water pump repair videos. You can see how to use the tool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK guys I have screwed up big time. the pulley bolts are bent and the pulley is broke. I am pretty sure I have to replace the water pump but I cannot get the fan clutch off. Can I remove the water pump as one unit with the fan clutch?

I have the fan housing off and out.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
With the plastic fan shroud out of the way, you should be able to remove the fan blade assembly from the clutch; it bolts on from the back side. With the fan removed from the clutch; try and remove the 4 nuts securing the waterpump to the block. Access will be tight, but a thin wrench might fit. PROTECT THE RADIATOR with cardboard or thin plywood when you attempt to pull the pump+clutch off; you dont want to dent the radiator face when it lets go.

Lots of guys chip/break the pulley even when the fan clutch comes off easily; so don't beat yourself up over that. The pulley is bakelite and gets brittle with age. Replace the pulley with the aluminum version by Uro (link below). USE ANTISIEZE on the backside of the pulley where it bolts to the steel waterpump flange. And a bit more antisieze on the nose of the waterpump where the fan clutch bolts on.

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/11511436590URO

Worst case, snap the blades off the plastic fan assembly so you can reach the nuts holding the WP on; a new one is about $25.

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/11521712058

Yeah, I know, it's $50 in parts that were not planned for the job. But if you couldn't get the clutch off without breaking the pulley, odds are a BMW tech/Indy might not have been able to either, and then you're paying dealer prices for replacement parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll probably be taking off the fan sometime soon, and want to avoid this sort of problem. Really sorry to hear about your problems there DBX5. But thanks for posting - it may help me avoid a similar situation.

Would these tools be good for the job? $28 with shipping for both the 32mm 15" wrench and the tool to hold the water pump:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-GM-Merc...-Water-Pump-Holder-Thin-Profile-/351293992936

DBX5, do you think these would have let you avoid any damage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts