BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

Well this is my first post. But only because I picked up a MY02 530i just last week :) The car has done 86000Kms (that's roughly 60000 miles). I'm really enjoying the car despite experiencing a few issues.

A few days into ownership, I noticed coolant on the drive way and thus decided to attend to this immediately.

The problem was with one of the tanks and this was covered under the dealer warranty. Having read these forums, I decided to have the water pump, thermostat and expansion tank replaced also at my cost. They also replaced one of the drive belts as it was squeeling (along with a tensioner pulley). However, I noticed some coolant leaking from the bottom of the radiator yesterday, so looks like I'll have to take it back for a little more work.

Since the repair however, I've noticed that a fan seems to be making a lot more noise than it used to. I don't think it's the auxillary fan... It sounds like there's something impeding the motion of the blades (like a wire hitting the blades). Could this be due that belt that was replaced? Could it also perhaps be the new water pump?

The other question I have is with some water droplets falling around 1/2 way down the car at the center of the vehicle. I only notice this after I've parked and turned off the vehicle having driven for a while. There's a loud hissing sound (like somethings catching on fire) as the water droplets come out of the silver tubing. The car dealer told me that it's water from the condensor landing on the tubing and it's nothing to be concerned about. However, it's a really disconcerting sound and want to know if this is normal. To me, it looks as if water is coming out the silver piping...

Oh wow, I've really drivelled much. Shall stop now :p Thanks guys, and I've really found these forums helpful thus far! :)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Congrats on the car and welcome. Sounds like you know what your doing with the cooling system so I wont bother you with that. The fan noise, have you checked around the fan to see if it actually IS hitting something (like the shroud)? It could be the waterpump or fan clutch as well, since your going back there anyways have them check it out. As for water under the car, most leaks are going to end up near the middle due to the splash shield. Is it just plain water leaking? If so then it is water from the AC system, every car (and home as well) AC system drips water, some might be dripping onto or near the manifold, which would make a hissing noise as the water is boiled off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cheers and thanks for your reply! After having heard of fan blades breaking off etc.. I've been a bit of a whimp and haven't inspected the engine bay that closely whilst the engine is running :doh ! But yes, I'll have a look tomorrow and get back to you.

I kinda know about issues pertinent to E39's thanks to the material I've read on this forum. I'm not very mechanically adept so want to minimise the chances of a mechanic feeding me rubbish.

I will also take a photo of where exactly the water is leaking out from. Yes, it's definitely just water so seems like I don't have much to worry about...

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
The only place on the vehicle where plain old water comes from is the A/C drain. Unless you're running straight water in the cooling system, which is silly!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instrument Cluster

Well I'm comfortable with regards to the water falling on the piping.

With regards to the fan noise I was mentioning earlier, it's a noise that seems to manifest itself near BMW engine cover on the right hand side. I can only imagine that this is the new water pump. Anyhow, I'll query the mechanic about this when I return there.

I have a new question with regards to the instrument cluster. If i place the key in position 1 (ACC), the airbag light comes on only. Then moving onto position 2, I have all the remaining lights coming on including the ABS warning light.

However this is the quirk: If I move the ignition key quickly to position 2 (ON), then the ABS light never comes ON.

Carrying out the diagnostics mode test 2, I don't get either the ABS OR Airbag warning light. Is this something to be concerned about? Essentially, the only way I know that both lights are working is if I leave the ignition key in position 1 momentarily (for airbag) before moving on to position 2 (for ABS).

Attached is a photo of the instrument cluster with Test 2. Note that the ABS or Airbag light is not ON.

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts

Both often point to expensive problems that used car guys don't like fixing. However, they both TURN ON. Most of the time the bulbs are pulled or have tape over them. If you're concerned, have the dealer read off the codes in front of you (asking the tech nicely usually works). You can engage the ASC by cornering at an intersection with too much gas (in my experience, tyres vary).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the bulbs actually do work - if I adhere to a certain procedure as mentioned above. I have also gotten ASC/DSC to turn ON during hard cornering (like yourself, I wanted to ensure this was working). However it is not the ASC/DSC that I'm concerned about.

This quirk is to do with the Airbag and ABS warning lights. I will certainly ask the mechanic to list whatever fault codes are present.

OFF -> ACC (air bag light comes on here) -> ON (ABS light + others come ON).

Now without pausing on ACC:

OFF -> ON (ABS light not ON but rest of the lights illuminated including airbag)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I think your just sweating nothing there (with the dash lights). If a fault was present the light would be not lighting at all ever, or it would be lit up while the engine is running.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback. The car's running fine :) The mechanic mentioned that the noise is indeed the replacement waterpump and that I should not be concerned. Let's just hope it continues to make that noise for the next 100,000 :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts