BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started to hear what sounds like a rattle or vibration of some sort coming from the fan. Is it possiblt that I have worn bearings where the fan mounts or could it be the clutch? I have not experienced any loss of power or nothing crazy, the noise is minor but I don't like it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It could be the bearings going bad in the water pump (where your fan clutch is mounted to), if so you'd likely have some play in the fan itself. Not much else to recommend with the brief description.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
I have recently started to hear what sounds like a rattle or vibration of some sort coming from the fan. Is it possiblt that I have worn bearings where the fan mounts or could it be the clutch? I have not experienced any loss of power or nothing crazy, the noise is minor but I don't like it. Any ideas?
Replace your fan clutch ASAP! Or it will ruin a lot of things, and then you'll be in big trouble.
Look at this thread.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235823

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Also have a close listen to the auxiliary fan (the one in front of the radiator). Mine is failing in my e39 528iT with 269,500 miles. It makes a rattling sound at certain speeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts