BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a jet black Z3 but it has a lot of minor scratches that are visible under the sun; it drives me crazy! I guess the previous owner must have gone to the regular car wash?

What is the easiest way to wax a car for somebody that has no experience with it? I looked under 'the detail department' section but did not find a clear answer.

What products do you guys normally use? How much time do I need because I'm kind of short on it ;)

Thx!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Wax won't effectively do much for those scratches. It'll cover them up, but only for a few weeks until it evaporates...here in So Cal, it might only last a week.

Even then it won't do a good job.

You need to have a professional detailer remove the scratches (which are probably actually what we call "swirl marks") and then seal the car with a polymer sealant (a la Zaino Bros, Klasse (my favorite), etc.) and THEN you can use a wash + wax regimen effectively to keep swirls from coming back and keep the car looking shiny.

Black, as you well know by now, is the hardest color to keep swirl-free.

·
Registered ABUSER!
362 Posts
Bookmark this site:
Car Care Specialties and look at the "How to" link. This will get you going.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ben Carufel said:
Wax won't effectively do much for those scratches. It'll cover them up, but only for a few weeks until it evaporates...here in So Cal, it might only last a week.

Even then it won't do a good job.

You need to have a professional detailer remove the scratches (which are probably actually what we call "swirl marks") and then seal the car with a polymer sealant (a la Zaino Bros, Klasse (my favorite), etc.) and THEN you can use a wash + wax regimen effectively to keep swirls from coming back and keep the car looking shiny.

Black, as you well know by now, is the hardest color to keep swirl-free.
It is indeed mostly swirl marks and the paint does not feel smooth. It feels a little bit like sandpaper :( I went to a detailer and he said he can detail the whole outside and get rid of the scratches for 325 bucks. Is that a decent price or should I try to hook up with somebody and do it myself? Or is that too difficult?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Zaino Baby !!!

If you're even thinking of doing this yourself, and want to save some serious $. Invest in Zaino (about $100 for the starter kit wihch will last a long time). While it may seem like a lot of steps to the process, the actual steps couldn't be easier. Just this last weekend, I washed, clayed, and 2 coats of Zaino'd my Z3. This removed all the swirl marks from the last "professional" detailer and only took about 4 hours total.

I'm having some other Z3's to my place on June 18 to do the seat rocking fix. If you want some guidance with the Zaino, drop by! You can use my hose, and probably some shade. I'm in Northridge.

I'm such a Zaino freak. Not because it shines like no other polish / wax, or because it lasts forever, but because it goes on soooooo easy. BTW, it smells good too!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SoCalZ3 said:
If you're even thinking of doing this yourself, and want to save some serious $. Invest in Zaino (about $100 for the starter kit wihch will last a long time). While it may seem like a lot of steps to the process, the actual steps couldn't be easier. Just this last weekend, I washed, clayed, and 2 coats of Zaino'd my Z3. This removed all the swirl marks from the last "professional" detailer and only took about 4 hours total.

I'm having some other Z3's to my place on June 18 to do the seat rocking fix. If you want some guidance with the Zaino, drop by! You can use my hose, and probably some shade. I'm in Northridge.

I'm such a Zaino freak. Not because it shines like no other polish / wax, or because it lasts forever, but because it goes on soooooo easy. BTW, it smells good too!
Hmm, in that case I might do it myself. Do I need some special equipment besides the stuff in the starter kit? Thx for inviting me over! Unfortunately I will probably be working on that day.
Ever since I got that car I'm getting more obsessed with it every day! My girlfriend thinks I'm going slowly crazy :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
luciano136 said:
Ever since I got that car I'm getting more obsessed with it every day! My girlfriend thinks I'm going slowly crazy :D
My girlfriend knows I'm nuts over my car. She accused me of rubbing it more than her! :rofl:

About the only things that you'll need that are not included in the kit are a clean bucket, and couple of white 100% made in USA cotton towels. The Zaino website has really good instructions and guideance on what brand of towels and other stuff. I can guarantee you that once you use Zaino, you won't use regular wax again. :wow:

www.zainostore.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
My coupe is also black. It's a 2000 301i. However, when I look at other black cars they seem to have a darker richer black appearance. What kind of wax can I use to make my black car look as rich as others I've seen. I hear there is a black wax specifically for dark or black cars. Has anyone used it or can recommend what kind of wax I cab use to bring out the black in my car?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kufa said:
My coupe is also black. It's a 2000 301i. However, when I look at other black cars they seem to have a darker richer black appearance. What kind of wax can I use to make my black car look as rich as others I've seen. I hear there is a black wax specifically for dark or black cars. Has anyone used it or can recommend what kind of wax I cab use to bring out the black in my car?
Giving it a zaino treatment should do the job. It does not only bring back the shine but the paint will looker darker again. My paint currently does not look that dark either...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've heard that carnauba wax gives that richer appearance more than Zaino...but I love my Zaino. It makes my steel gray Z3 look amazing, and really seems to protect the paint. I haven't yet gotten around to trying it on my black SUV or my boyfriend's black Accord...so we'll see. Those cars are both in crappy shape due to gas station washes so I can't wait to take the time to detail them right.

·
2001BMW MZ3
568 Posts
If you want to fix the scraches correctly you may want to color-sand the pain job. Colorsanding is the finishing touch to all profesional paint jobs. Im surprized most people that responded opt the cheap way out and wax the car to death. Waxing should only be done once a month at the most. If you are like the rest of us your car harldy see's daylight, that queen sits in the garage.

Take it to a bodyshop and get an estimate if it bothers you that much.

Best of luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the risk of turning this into the Detailing board, what do people recommend other than Zaino. It's hard to buy Zaino here in NJ because they have some exclusive distribution deal with one store in the state a couple of hours away from me (you can't buy over the net and the store will not ship). What's second best?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
fundman said:
At the risk of turning this into the Detailing board, what do people recommend other than Zaino. It's hard to buy Zaino here in NJ because they have some exclusive distribution deal with one store in the state a couple of hours away from me (you can't buy over the net and the store will not ship). What's second best?
As felonious pointed out, Menzerna is a good choice. As mentioned by others, no wax is going to zap the swirls and microscratches; that requires polishing. The Menzerna Final Polish II works well, and for more serious scratches, their Intensive Polish.

Over-the-counter locally... Meguiar's NXT is good for a polymer wax.

There are many others. P21S is good. For carnaubas, there's a huge list that work well and look great, they just don't last like a good polymer (and as a general rule of thumb, the longer a carnauba wax lasts, the harder it is to apply/buff).

·
Hero to Z3ro
126 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in, because Nuzz has become my own personal Detailing Deity.

http://www.nuzz.org/detail_documentary/#detail_supplies-005

VERY Good instructions/tips from him, and has so far worked like a charm for me.

I have not yet had a chance to try it, but I have heard marvelous things about 3M Perfect-It II and a Porter Cable orbital buffer. Everyone says it'll take out those hairline scratches and swirl marks like no other. Followed by a layer of Klasse All In One should seal up the paint real nice and then you can apply whatever polish you like - Klasse, Zaino, etc... I personally use a polish called "Liquid Glass." Highly recommended from the Corvette fanatics, they've been using it for years.

·
2001BMW MZ3
568 Posts
LynxZ3r0 said:
Just thought I'd chime in, because Nuzz has become my own personal Detailing Deity.

http://www.nuzz.org/detail_documentary/#detail_supplies-005

VERY Good instructions/tips from him, and has so far worked like a charm for me.

I have not yet had a chance to try it, but I have heard marvelous things about 3M Perfect-It II and a Porter Cable orbital buffer. Everyone says it'll take out those hairline scratches and swirl marks like no other. Followed by a layer of Klasse All In One should seal up the paint real nice and then you can apply whatever polish you like - Klasse, Zaino, etc... I personally use a polish called "Liquid Glass." Highly recommended from the Corvette fanatics, they've been using it for years.
I use the same :thumbup:

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
Kufa said:
Luciano136 is right when he says Zaino will make the black look blacker. I did my wife's black car (Camaro) and I couldn't believe how good it looked - a million times more black than the original black.
My Imola red coupe is now a deeper red with Zaino. And the shine is almost beyond description - I went to work at 5:00 am yesterday and when I went out to the car, the neighbour was standing at the rear just looking at it, newspaper folded under his arm, and a cup of coffee in his other hand. He was just smiling and nodding at the shine. He didn't say a word, just smiled and smiled, nodded his head and shuffled back to his house.
It's really that good.
-John C.

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
fundman said:
Buy it from the Canadian site then, Mike is a reputable guy and I'd buy from him again without hesitation.
www.zaino.ca should do it just fine.
-John C.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.