Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car and Driver in a positive review of the 428i AT went 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. I don't have the issue in from of me at the office but I think the 1/4 mile was 14.1 at 99 mph. This model had summer tires and was an MSport model. That is damn quick for a 3500 pound coupe with a (rated) 240 HP engine. I'm guessing it should be rated closer to 270 as mentioned here in the past.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Check out insideline's test. They did 5.4 seconds, or 5.1 with a 1-foot rollout, and pulled a 13.8 second quarter mile. That's the fastest time I've seen too.

I don't know why the coupe would be notably faster besides perhaps a bit of aerodynamics, but it's also 3500 pounds which is heavier than the equivalent sedan I believe (though I don't know why).

·
Super Moderator
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out insideline's test. They did 5.4 seconds, or 5.1 with a 1-foot rollout, and pulled a 13.8 second quarter mile. That's the fastest time I've seen too.

I don't know why the coupe would be notably faster besides perhaps a bit of aerodynamics, but it's also 3500 pounds which is heavier than the equivalent sedan I believe (though I don't know why).
I think it just shows that conditions, grip, weather and variability of output all can effect measured acceleration. In real life unless one is into street racing, these slight variables mean little.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
There's a reason that BMW didn't bring back the E9x 335d - the turbo 2.0L is quite quick. Note that the times for this test are very similar to the 335d's, which turns 1/4 mile times in the 14.0-14.2 range. The 335d, if you remember, has 265 hp and 425ft-lb, so 270 hp is likely for the turbo-2.0L.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Also both cars from the inside line test and car & driver had DHP

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Motor Trend beat C&D, but not Inside Line. From the January 2014 issue of MT, page 65:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Until one remembers the various cars of a similar or lesser price that are as fast or faster.

The F30 is not a performance car, but an entry level luxury car that can get out of its own way.

·
BMW New Guy
332 Posts
Until one remembers the various cars of a similar or lesser price that are as fast or faster.

The F30 is not a performance car, but an entry level luxury car that can get out of its own way.
In a mid size 4 door class? Please share. The 3 series competitors are the only ones that come to mind, but I don't remember any really faster.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Elk you are such a bigshot!

It's lucky the Internet was invented so you can let everyone know from your keyboard! :rofl:

·
I probably dislike you...
781 Posts

I take words which sound cool and put them together! Take that Internet!

5.2 seconds is significantly faster than the entry level field. Come on. "Get out of it's own way". I think we are a bit beyond that.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Car and Driver in a positive review of the 428i AT went 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. I don't have the issue in from of me at the office but I think the 1/4 mile was 14.1 at 99 mph. This model had summer tires and was an MSport model. That is damn quick for a 3500 pound coupe with a (rated) 240 HP engine. I'm guessing it should be rated closer to 270 as mentioned here in the past.
Optimal gearing, quick shifting transmission, perfect launch and good tires will do that. Impressive times but not much better than the average V6 Acccord. The N20 is certainly underrated but the 1/4 mile trap speed, specially compared to the 335 or mainstream V6 sedans is a much better indicator of "real world" power.

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Optimal gearing, quick shifting transmission, perfect launch and good tires will do that. Impressive times but not much better than the average V6 Acccord. The N20 is certainly underrated but the 1/4 mile trap speed, specially compared to the 335 or mainstream V6 sedans is a much better indicator of "real world" power.
Here are Motor Trend's performance stats for the current generation Honda Accord. The V6 EX-L Coupe model provides performance comparable to the 428i in the 0-60 mph and the 1/4 mile tests; trap speed for the latter metric is actually higher for the Accord.

Cornering and braking performance was notably better on the 428i compared to the Accord, but the Honda's all-season tires probably contributed significantly to that discrepancy. All in all, the V6 Accord Coupe appears to be an excellent alternative to 428i for nearly $14,000 less.

·
Super Moderator
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are Motor Trend's performance stats for the current generation Honda Accord. The V6 EX-L Coupe model provides performance comparable to the 428i in the 0-60 mph and the 1/4 mile tests; trap speed for the latter metric is actually higher for the Accord.

Cornering and braking performance was notably better on the 428i compared to the Accord, but the Honda's all-season tires probably contributed significantly to that discrepancy. All in all, the V6 Accord Coupe appears to be an excellent alternative to 428i for nearly $14,000 less.

In terms of acceleration and price. These are of course far from the only factors when one evaluates cars.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
In terms of acceleration and price. These are of course far from the only factors when one evaluates cars.
Exactly. I think maybe besides the new EPS system, the 3 really doesn't have any major faults. It is a great all around car but the problem is that now there are so, so many other great cars available.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Agree. It's a bit of a silly comparison. People who want an Accord will buy an Accord. Maybe they'll cross-shop Camry and Mazda 6. People who want a 428 will buy a 428, and cross-shop Audi, Lexus, MB, etc.

An Accord capable of 5.4s 0-60 does not detract from the 428i's ability or reputation. Rather it raises up the Accord. Anything <6s is impressive and more than enough speed for the vast majority of people.

IMHO the horsepower wars are pretty much over. There's no real reason for mainstream cars to do 0-60 <5s, or run 13s 1/4 mile. I think most manufacturers will be happy with their cars doing 0-60 in the 5 to 6s range, with fuel economy, efficiency, NVH, and usability (e.g. smooth and early torque) characteristics being more important than breaking the 5s mark.

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Exactly. I think maybe besides the new EPS system, the 3 really doesn't have any major faults. It is a great all around car but the problem is that now there are so, so many other great cars available.
I agree that F30 and F32 are largely free of major faults. However, these cars have some small annoyances that the Accord doesn't, such as the climate control fan activating upon starting the car even if the system was previously turned off, steering wheel blocking some displays in the instrument cluster when tilted to my preference, etc. Generally speaking, Honda does a better job of making their automobiles "user friendly" compared to BMW.

However, performance of the N20 engine - with both the 180 hp and 240 hp versions - is top-notch. I have no complaints there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like BMW's styling.

The slightly sporty Accord coupe is a nice looking car, I just think the rest of the lineup is boring.

I'd like to see Toyota bring back the Supra! That car is still legendary even today.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts