BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fault code reader/clearer

2173 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  tampamark
I know there are several threads on this already - but many of the recomennded products were more expensive and required a Microsoft OS computer.

What I am looking for is a simple, inexpensive reader to clear the 'Service Engine Soon' light on my dash that is an all in one device and does not require a PC. o other functionality required - something I could pick up at Autozone or somehting.

I appreciate your thoughts -
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Thanks man, but I am fairly sure you need a diagnostic tool plugged into the floor input to reset.
Most of the generic readers you find at AutoZone etc.. are very much alike. They read and reset generic codes on most all makes and models. They will run you anywhere from $50 to $300. If your main purpose is to use on your 6, I would go with a cheaper one. Most of the extra functionality of a high end generic reader is not going to help you much with diagnostics of your car.

One thing you may consider is a bluetooth ELM ODBII reader and a copy of Torque (assuming you have a smart phone). I have not had to reset codes with it, but it works well with all of my cars. The ELM is about $25 on ebay and Torque is $5.
+1 to Mulchman, the ELM327 looks pretty nice.
Most of the generic readers you find at AutoZone etc.. are very much alike. They read and reset generic codes on most all makes and models. They will run you anywhere from $50 to $300. If your main purpose is to use on your 6, I would go with a cheaper one. Most of the extra functionality of a high end generic reader is not going to help you much with diagnostics of your car.

One thing you may consider is a bluetooth ELM ODBII reader and a copy of Torque (assuming you have a smart phone). I have not had to reset codes with it, but it works well with all of my cars. The ELM is about $25 on ebay and Torque is $5.
Harbor Freight sells a good code reader for 80.00 on sale. It will reset any generic codes, but probably not to much help on a BMW. With BMW having it's on set of repair codes, you need to buy a cable & get DIS or INPA up & running. With a generic code reader on a BMW, you will be dependent on a dealer or Indy for all of your repairs. Basically any laptop can be loaded with DIS these days.

With any Harbor Freight tool, buy the extended warranty for the extra few bucks!

Good Luck
Since BMW uses several custom modules, you need a BMW-specific too if you want to read/clear all codes.

The only thing I am aware of that does not need a PC is the Peak Research R5/FCX-3-16 reset tool for ~ $150. If you have a 2006+ car make sure you read the compatibility notes.
resetting codes

Hey,
I was going to post the same queston but will it be really expensive to have the dealer reset it. Any idea what is the normal price from a BMW dealer or can I get a indy shop to it. Mine came on after using Lukoil fuel. I usually use sunoco. The car runs fine but I'm wondering if there are any emisions issues.

Blake
You can have Autozone (or one of them) read generic codes for free. Depending on what your problem is that may or may not give you helpfull information. They will even attempt to reset the codes if you ask them to.

But if you plan to keep your car long, you may want to consider buying something more specificly made for it. If you want a dedicated tool I would trust Yorgi's recommendation. Otherwise get a BMW cable and software from ebay. You don't have to become a programer to use the basics (i.e. DIS - Diagnostic Information Station (i think)).
Hey,
I was going to post the same queston but will it be really expensive to have the dealer reset it. Any idea what is the normal price from a BMW dealer or can I get a indy shop to it. Mine came on after using Lukoil fuel. I usually use sunoco. The car runs fine but I'm wondering if there are any emisions issues.

Blake
There are several options if you have an android phone or tablet. or iPhone. Several are free.

I bought a BlueTooth plug-in on eBay for $13.00 from eBay. Seems to work fine.

I have not tried to do any resets but they claim to work. No computer needed and really cheap.

Have a look here too.

http://media-in-motion.co.uk/ibc-the-intelligent-board-computer-for-your-smaprtphone/
I know there are several threads on this already - but many of the recomennded products were more expensive and required a Microsoft OS computer.

What I am looking for is a simple, inexpensive reader to clear the 'Service Engine Soon' light on my dash that is an all in one device and does not require a PC. o other functionality required - something I could pick up at Autozone or somehting.

I appreciate your thoughts -
Went to Advanced Auto parts - bought the cheapest one (59.99) and the guy showed me how to use it. Cleared the Srevice Engine Soon light - all good. Easy enough allthough the conection under the dash is tricky - got to be careful pulling it back out.

They told me that they would read faults for free but were not allowed to re-set.
It must be employee dependent, I have had Autozone guys clear them in the past. But that was 5 or 6 years ago, maybe that has changed.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.