BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
A Clean Windshield
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the options for fault code reading and resetting tools? I have seen at least one device. Are there other choices? Any for laptop?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
I use the Peake Research R5/fcx one. Along with reading, reseting the fault codes it also will reset the oil service/inspection lights. $150.00 retail. Can be had for less if you shop around.
It will not reset the SRS (airbag) light. Still looking for one to do that, that is not $2500.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
Ron,

Does it work on your 2001 coupe?

Peake says on their web site that all 2001 BMWs are incompatible with their unit. Are they missing a whole set of customers out there?

Thanks...

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
///M Rakete said:
Ron,

Does it work on your 2001 coupe?

Peake says on their web site that all 2001 BMWs are incompatible with their unit. Are they missing a whole set of customers out there?

Thanks...
Sure. Just reset my oil service light and have reset the EML fault once or twice.

·
A Clean Windshield
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 1986 528e and the radio always displays "code" when i turn car on. how do i get rid of this
YOU WILL NEED YOUR RADIO CODE. IT CAME ON A LITTLE CARD WHEN YOU GOT THE CAR. THE OWNERS MANUAL TELLS YOU HOW TO INPUT IT. IF YOU LOST IT THE DEALER NEEDS TO GET IT FOR YOU.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have a 1986 528e and the radio always displays "code" when i turn car on. how do i get rid of this
5 year old thread brought back to life 'cause of a radio code...use the search option...and even better not even a Z3/Z4 owner :confused:

Take the car to a dealer they will charge you $75 to take the radio out and get the code or take the radio out and take them the serial number and they will give you the code for free...

·
Registered
318 Posts
There's OBD-II Vehicle Explorer for about $120. Doesn't do airbags, oil or inspection lights, but resets many other faults. Helped me diagnose my exhaust camshaft position sensor failure correctly.

Loads on your laptop, records various signals while you drive or test various systems. Can play back in non-real time. You get lifetime updates free.

Fred

·
A Clean Windshield
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
5 year old thread brought back to life 'cause of a radio code...use the search option...and even better not even a Z3/Z4 owner :confused:

Take the car to a dealer they will charge you $75 to take the radio out and get the code or take the radio out and take them the serial number and they will give you the code for free...
WHOW 5 years. Seems like yesterday when I showed up at the performance center ALONE. A ghost town, I think I was like in the first 12 to do a center pick up. Well it was a really great experience and I still love my coupe like that first day. Funny I was just looking at those photos today. 5 Years!

:):thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.