Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a favorite brand of tires? I don't but do like certain brands.

Poll attached. Multiple selections allowed. Poll is limited to 12 by the website design.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To refresh your memory, here are some tire brands. I've seen these in real life on cars.

Bridgestone
Continental
Dunlop
Goodyear
Hankook
Kumho
Michelin
Nokian
Pirelli
Sumitomo
Yokohama
Avon
BF Goodrich
General
Gislaved
Semperit
Vredstein
Barum
Big O
Champiro
Cooper
Falken
Federal
Kelly
Kenda
Maaxis
MRF
Nankang
Nexen
Nitto
Ohtsu
Primewell
Starfire
Sunny
Toyo
Uniroyal
Vee
Vogue
Westlake

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the Nokian name for winter tires and Dunlop for summers. Even though Dunlop is no longer an independent British company, I do like the name. Pirellis are also liked.

In the past, I've had two models that were good tires, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and, many, many years ago, the Yokohama AVS Intermediate. I never had the chance to drive on Michelin Pilot Super Sport or the older Michelin Pilot Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

Because of rarity, I am hesitant to drive on tires like Semperit or Vredestein.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
I've always been a Michelin Bridgestone guy.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
My default brands are Michelin and Continental.

I'm appreciative of Continental's sponsoring BMW M School. I've shredded a lot of tires there. My Continental DW's did great on my Cobalt SS. In 40k miles, my tread depths were 2+/32nds to 4.5/32nds inch with an average of 4-/32nds inch. Despite being abused at every opportunity, there was no chunking of the tread. I replaced them with another set of DW's.

I went through ten Michelin Pilot Sports on my M3 (six in the back, four in the front). But, they were noisy when old. Also the rears (255mm wide), all six of them, wore as if they were over-inflated despite being under-inflated. The front tires (225mm) were fine, though.

Frau Putzer's V6 Accord got some "green" Michelin Primacy tires to replace the OEM Michelins. After 40k miles they started chunking bad. Big chunks were breaking off the tread blocks, especially during the third 8k mile stint on the front. Because of this defect and my satisfaction with the Continental DW's, I bought some Continental DWS06's. The car might go to one of her dysfunctional friends up north when she's done with it, so I got all-season tires. One of the advantages of living in Floriduh is being able to drive all year on summer tires.

My worst tires ever have been the Goodyear LS2 run-flat, touring (low performance), all-season tires that came on the 535i. My biggest gripe is uneven tread wear. They wear as if they're under-inflated, despite being over-inflated. I stated out 10% over the recommended pressure, but the under-inflation wear pattern was continuing. At 18% over the recommended pressure, they're fairly even (6 to 7.5/32nds inch measured across the circumferential channels). But the ride is horrible. I have DHP, so I can mitigate the rough ride when necessary by putting the car in "Buick" or "Buick +" mode. I could get the LS2's to 45k miles. But, I'd still have to buy a third set of tires for the car before it hits 100k miles. So, I decided to spend that $1100 a year early and have a BMW that handles and rides like a BMW should.

Because of our small house, the four new PSS's are sitting in the dinning room. Cats don't understand the concept of the wheel. So, each of them eventually jumps up on a tire and it starts rolling and throws their furry cat ass off.

The LS2s will still meet BMW FS's lease turn-in requirements when I'm done with them at 29k or 30k miles. But looking around, it's difficult to sell them to anybody. So, the dealer will get to keep them and either give somebody turning in a leased car a break, or get some marginally acceptable tires for a car going on their used car lot.

I was planning on getting some Continental DW's. But, Michelin and Continental are having a price war. With the $70 Michelin rebate on four tires, they were within $30/tire of the DW's. I waited until the last day of the Michelin rebate eligibility, hoping that Continental would match them with a rebate. But, Michelin Pilot Super Sports are pretty much the industry standard. I put a set on the M3 within a year of selling it and they were great. So for an extra $30/tire, Michelin PSS's it is.

Tire Rack had a survey for me to take when buying the PSS's for the 535i. One of the questions was what car would I be buying tires for next. Strangely, it was also the 535i, since the Cobalt and Accord are on their last set of tires with us. Although, Frau Putzer's scheduled to get an X3 when the new ones come out. I'm hoping they offer non-RFT's as an OEM option, like they've done on the new X1. If not, we'll be putting a set of DWS06's on when the car is new. The LS2's have cured me of run-flats for the foreseeable future.

My Chevy truck came with Generals. I had the oddball optional tire size as part of the half-ton, 2WD towing package or something. So, my selection was limited to either more Generals or white-letter Michelins. Remember that ad jingle "Sooner or later, you'll own Generals...?" I always considered that to be a threat. But, they were fine for a truck.

For the last 20 years, I've bought all my tires from Tire Rack. Well, except for some used Bridgestone's I found. Nissan #2, a 200SX SE-R, had worn out the second set of tires, and they were an oddball size. I was waiting for my M3. I worked at a federal laboratory with about 1500 people. There was a site newspaper which I almost never read. The paper had classified ads which I had never read. But, something made me pick up a paper and cruise the ads. To my amazement, somebody was selling some of those oddball size tires with only 7k miles on them. The Bubba had bought a Mazda 3 with a sport package. He didn't like the ride and some tire salesman convinced him to buy some oversize tires. I'd remembered seeing the Mazda in the parking lot, sort of jacked up, and thought to myself "What an idiot." But, for $100 I got an almost new set of Bridgestone to get me through another 7k miles to "M3 Day" (November 15th, 2001).

The used Bridgestone's were all-season, but made with a softer rubber than normal. That particular model didn't have a tread wear warranty because of the softer, high-performance rubber. I liked the tires, and later bought some for Frau Putzer's Honda Civic. Frau Putzer has the Kennedy driving gene. So, I figured some high-performance tires might save her or some innocent motorist who happens to tangle with her out on the public roads. I took the Civic as my beater and put the last 20k miles of the 64k miles on those Bridgestones. But, they were down to the 2/32nds inch wear bars. I love selling a car with four bald tires on it.

Attachments

·
Launch Control Ready
1,577 Posts
I think it depends for me...

For the 911, I would not really consider anything but another set of Pilot Super Sports or the Bridgestone S-04s. There is huge price difference for a set so I might try the S-04s this time. And yes, I am not so anal that I would only put P-car spec tires on. The PSS is not a Porsche spec tire and it has been just fine.

For the 550i, I am more open to other options like Hankook, Kumho, etc. We took off the run flats, bagged them, and put them in storage until we need to prep for lease return. We have Hankooks (V12 EVO 2s) on now and they are doing fine.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I've always been more partial to Michelin myself. My uncle was a production manager for Avon Tires in Melksham - they were bought out by Cooper Tires - not sure if they still produce Avon Tires, but he's retired now (has been for about 15 years I think) - anyway, he would check out my tires and tell me - "that's a good tire that is - never mess with your tires." between my father and uncle, I learned that I don't mess or cheap out on tires or brakes... it doesn't matter how fast my car can go if the stopping power isn't greater than the going power, then it can spell disaster. :eeps:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts