BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to think that BMW does follow these forums and while it might be a bit late. As an owner of F10 for over 2 years now, I've noticed a few things that I'd like in the new 5-series.

1. Full leather dash option: Not the currently available leather dash, which does Not include leather on top of the doors making the dash to door transition weird.

2. 7-series style door levers: Not sure what the technical name for those are but I'm talking about that greased up lever that holds the door in place when you open it. Doors are the most annoying thing in current 5-series. Since they are big heavy doors and when you're parked on a slight incline (most driveways?) it makes it really awkward getting out of the car as the door won't hold itself in place when you open it, unless you open it gently and let go off it when you feel the door has latched onto one of the notches on the lever. The magnetic levers on the 7-series are much nicer and stop exactly where you position the door. They also make getting out of the car in tight spaces much easier - as you're not worried about the door automatically opening up and hitting the car etc next to you.

3. Seatbelt rattle: its a design issue, not sure if its been resolved or not. I've noticed if I have had a passenger in my car and then they leave, it moves that thingy that adjusts the position of seatbelt hook. Resulting in the seatbelt hook hitting the B-pillar as you're driving around and making rattling noise. The solution is to move the plastic tab on the seatbelt up so that seatbelt hook rests at a higher position. This fixes the rattle but definitely a design issue.

4. Configurable M-Mode button(s) like M5: I know some people might say that its a M5 feature, but having driven both M5 and 535i, I really prefer 535i for balanced performance and find M5 not only unnecessarily fast but also uncomfortable, especially with a family - so I don't see myself ever buying an M5. I do see a lot of value in M-mode and feel if one orders a 5-series with M-Package then they should get the M-button. Driving modes should also be adjustable, at least, on M-Package cars kind of like Audi Select.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gee, I'm not sure....maybe sharp steering, superb handling, a great suspension...you know...the things that made and defined BMW for over three decades. Without those they're basically just putting lipstick on a pig.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A couple random things:

o) A "combined" sport/comfort mode with "sport" throttle response but "comfort" transmission shift points. I want quick throttle/kickdown response but no unnecessary revving.

o) A "pause" function for CD/mp3/BT audio.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,080 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Better steering, more planted suspension with less body roll and more agility, non-runflat tire option or spare option, better styling, more robust chassis/dampers that is less sensitive to out of round tires/rims, and finally at least 400-500 lbs weight savings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i hate the seat belt raddle noise also.

How about standard LED lights which even the cheapest car makes and brands have figured out how to offer as standard fair.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i hate the seat belt raddle noise also.

How about standard led lights which even the cheapest car makes and brands have figured out how to offer as standard fair.
/\/\ this!

·
HUFINGTON
923 Posts
1- More leg room in the back.
2- Tinted top stripe (green) on the windshield.
3- At least 3-zone climate control.
4- LED lights at no cost (or at least less expensive)
5- Integrated iDrive screen (non-tablet style)
6- Optional glass roof
7- Cooling function in the glove box or middle armrest
8- Cheaper rear seat entertainment option
9- Night vision system integrated into the instrument cluster not iDrive screen
10- G11/G12 style larger HUD
11-Standard steering column retraction for easy entry/exit (without having to code it)
12- Better (more functional) LED fog lights

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
wow, no complaints with cup holders? BMW must have finally nailed this after 20 years of trying to please the US market.

1) Deliver the driving dynamics and passion of the E39 but keep the handsome looks of the F10.
2) Refer to point 1 above.
3) Keep M options strictly to //Ms - us run of the mill 5's need something to aspire to;)
4) While you're at it, showcase some modern E28 Alpina B5's like you did with the 2002

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
1. Less body roll!

2. Spare tire without reducing truck space (or reducing only a little)

3. Knobs that do not have the "paint" rub off/wear off

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll admit I was a bit annoyed with having to spend another $3k on tires and suspension just to get the car close to what I think a BMW should drive like. Although that still didn't address steering. But I have to say we all go into these purchases with nearly unlimited info available to know what we're getting into. So I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Better seats. The seats are uncomfortable, too firm, I had to put a sheepskin cover on mine to make it more comfortable.

·
just like that, he's gone
1,692 Posts
won't happen:
only slightly change F10 appearance
no Ipad NAV screen (actually just looked at G30 and I don't think they have a choice if they want to stick a huge screen in there, at least it's not Tesla huge)

might happen:
improve steering feel
lose weight
sportier suspension options and a better DDC (without the full DHP)
louder stock sport exhaust
soft carbon fiber look interior trim (like the E90 M3 had)
2 inches off nose, added to trunk!
stay at 193 inches long or go back to 191
small tiny spare or mobility kit

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Here's what I really want. I want a car that's halfway between 3 and 7. That's what we had with the E60 and the E39. The F10 is basically a 7.

To me, this is far more important than nearly anything else.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
G30 is supposed to be 200+ lbs lighter...so that should help. Size wise, I think there is too much demand for comfort/luxury for the dimensions and hence weight to go down more. Next 3 series essentially will be what'll have a good combination of size/comfort/performance.

Another feature I'd like is a large LED lit panoramic roof...like 7-series.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Non M car with V8 engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts