BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all of those who have had the Dinan DME flash done, could you post your experiences?

I am particularly interested in how the flash works with California's octane-challenged premium gas (91). Are you tethered to gas stations that sell 101 octane racing unleaded? Or, does the flash seamlessly (no drivability issues) adjust to the lower octane?

The flash seems like an excellent way to get increased hp & ft/lbs, but I don't want to be tethered to gas stations that sell the racing unleaded.

Thanks in advance to all who post.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have the Dinan flash (love it, by the way) and I always use 93 octane. 91 octane is completely fine for use with the flash.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Dinan flash (love it, by the way) and I always use 93 octane.
Out of curiosity, does the flash do anything to enhance throttle response? I know there will be some 'slowness' due to the turbos, but I am wondering what the flash provides beyond the increased hp & ft/lbs.

91 octane is completely fine for use with the flash.
Have you always run 93 octane gas? Have you gone from say 101 octane (if you were to track the car) back to 93 octane? If so, was the adjustment to the lower octane smooth (no adjustment issues for the engine like timing being pulled way back and then gradually being built back up to where the engine could run with the lower octane)?

·
Registered
108 Posts
In most states, super = 93, plus is 89, and regular is 87. Some states use 91 octane for super. Not sure why. Probably some crazy greenie thing. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In most states, super = 93, plus is 89, and regular is 87. Some states use 91 octane for super. Not sure why. Probably some crazy greenie thing. :dunno:
In California, there is a monopoly (at least in the S.F. Bay Area). Selling 91 octane as premium allows for more profit/gallon of gas (less octane boosters have to be added). It is not a greenie thing; just pure capitalism.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello. There are a number of reviews posted here and at that other site. They are mostly qualitative assessments, but a few give numbers, too. Search away!

Best,

Snaxster

·
Registered
911 Posts
Flash is great. No problems w. 91 octane. A dyno would probably reveal fewer ponies, but your butt won't.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the flash do anything to enhance throttle response? I know there will be some 'slowness' due to the turbos, but I am wondering what the flash provides beyond the increased hp & ft/lbs.

Have you always run 93 octane gas? Have you gone from say 101 octane (if you were to track the car) back to 93 octane? If so, was the adjustment to the lower octane smooth (no adjustment issues for the engine like timing being pulled way back and then gradually being built back up to where the engine could run with the lower octane)?
The new version of the Stage II flash enhances the throttle response down low. The initial version of the Dinan flash made the down-low response much smoother and less "jumpy." I personally love it, and prefer it over the initial stock configuration.

I have always run 93 octane. No issues. :thumbup:

If you want some more info, search around here for reviews of the flash, and check out dinancars.com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts