BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 325Xi with about 2,500 km. I recently noticed that when I release my foot off the clutch pedal, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up from the floor, there is a noticeable "click". It is not an audible click but I can feel it with my foot in the clutch travel. The normal feel is smooth when I let the clutch out but recently I have noticed this bump or click feeling when I release the clutch. I know this is an imprecise description but it is almost as if something is rubbing against something... Anyone know what I am talking about or have some (helpful) input?

TIA

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Birdman said:
I have an '02 325Xi with about 2,500 km. I recently noticed that when I release my foot off the clutch pedal, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up from the floor, there is a noticeable "click". It is not an audible click but I can feel it with my foot in the clutch travel. The normal feel is smooth when I let the clutch out but recently I have noticed this bump or click feeling when I release the clutch. I know this is an imprecise description but it is almost as if something is rubbing against something... Anyone know what I am talking about or have some (helpful) input?

TIA
It's the clutch starter disable switch. ALL E46es do that...It's a switch that's there to make sure you depress the clutch before you can start your car, also it disables cruise control when the clutch is depressed.

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the response. Why then do I not feel it all the time (and I have never felt it better)?

It makes a smooth roll from stop to start somewhat more difficult. (I also generally do not notice it going from second to third).

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Birdman said:
Thanx for the response. Why then do I not feel it all the time (and I have never felt it better)?

It makes a smooth roll from stop to start somewhat more difficult. (I also generally do not notice it going from second to third).
Do this: Sit in your car with the engine off and gear in neutral, e-brake up. Then press the clutch in SLOWLY until you feel that click. The reason why sometimes you don't feel that click is because the switch is a plunger like device, if you press it in straight it won't click, but if your clutch pedal has some play (which all pedals do) then if you're hitting the button from a slight angle the plunger will cause a "CLICK" when it's depressed.

What year is your car?

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an '02.
It is not the switch.
Sticky clutch, that describes it better. It is intermittent though, and definitely throws off the stop -->1st shift. I am debating about taking it in. A TSB would be a tremendous help, if one exists.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I posted pn this a couple of weeks back. My car goes in next week to have the whole clutch assembly replaced. I have similiar symptoms. I have a click and there is a shudder in the clutch when take up occurs. It has to do with the throw-out bearing and BMW is recommended that people that have this problem and bring it up will get a clutch replacement. There is a TSB assoicated with it also. Let me see if I can find it.

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"As per SIB 21-01-01:

A popping sound or clicking sound may be heard from the clutch pedal at the last third of the clutch pedal travel when the clutch pedal is engaged or released

Procedure: Only if the customer complains of the above symptoms should the clutch be replaced.

Affected vehicles:

All E46's produced up to 3/01 (M52TU, M54 and S54 engines)
All E39's with 6 cylinder engines made from 9/97 to 3/01
All E39's with 8 cylinder engines from 9/96 to 3/01
All X5's with the M54 engine up to 3/01
All Z3's from 9/98 to 3/01
All Z8's up to 3/01

Not exactly a "vibration" as I thought, but it does affect alot of vehicles."

That is a great help. The only issue is that it relates to E46s produced up to 3/01. Mine is an '02.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts