BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in E90 325i. Somehow I feel being cheated with the 3.0L engine which produce the same output as the EURO 2.5L.

Am I strange or someone has the same feeling.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I don't feel cheated, unless it has worse gas mileage or is heavier. If anything it's nice to know you might be able to tune it to 255 hp.

But I do feel the 330 is now the smart choice, since I want power seats and the Logic 7, and then the price is not that much higher.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
E90_or_IS said:
Somehow I feel being cheated...
Then don't buy it. Get the 330i. :dunno:

I feel the opposite. You pay 2.5 liter prices for a 3.0 liter engine. Sweet. :thumbup:

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
The HACK said:
Then don't buy it. Get the 330i. :dunno:

I feel the opposite. You pay 2.5 liter prices for a 3.0 liter engine. Sweet. :thumbup:
I agree. I'd rather have a 3.0 than a 2.5 for the same $$. I suspect the 3.0 may perform better (flatter torque curve)... I haven't seen the maps side by side, so can't say for sure. Even then, the map for the 3.0 could be understated.

·
10,856 Posts
Too funny. :lmao:

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
boifromtroy said:
I believe the reason it has a 3 liter in the US is because of California Air Quality rules...so blame Gray Davis, not BMW!
Gray Davis? Gray Davis didn'tt control CARB - no governor does. THANK GOD. Carb is the reason we have catalytic converters and it's the one force that's still pushing manufacturers to develop better, more efficient cars. If not for Carb we'd be driving gas guzzling, polluting junk.

·
Registered
668 Posts
E90_or_IS said:
I am interested in E90 325i. Somehow I feel being cheated with the 3.0L engine which produce the same output as the EURO 2.5L.

Am I strange or someone has the same feeling.
Think of it this way. You are getting a 3 liter bmw for less than people in Europe get 1.8 liter bmw.
Does that make you feel less cheated now?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Speaking of CA air quality... would anyone have any idea whether the 06 325s with automatic trannys, bound for California, or anywhere, really, for that matter, would be PZEV rated engines, as was the case for the e46 325, at least according to this site: http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/vsearch/cleansearch_result.asp?vehicletypeid=16 ?

I'd think they should be, since much else has been improved. Any reports on gas mileage, beyond xx% improved?

Edie

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Just an F.Y.I., but I saw the E.P.A. MPG ratings on a new 330i manual Sport today at my dealer & it was rated at 20 city & 30 highway, which I thought was pretty good. Didn't get a peep @ the 325's.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
RichReg said:
Just an F.Y.I., but I saw the E.P.A. MPG ratings on a new 330i manual Sport today at my dealer & it was rated at 20 city & 30 highway, which I thought was pretty good. Didn't get a peep @ the 325's.
Thanks man, I've been wondering about that. But that means the gain is 0%, not 12% like BMW claimed. :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Gray Davis? Gray Davis didn'tt control CARB - no governor does. THANK GOD. Carb is the reason we have catalytic converters and it's the one force that's still pushing manufacturers to develop better, more efficient cars. If not for Carb we'd be driving gas guzzling, polluting junk.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
You beat me to the answer. Cheers, on informing those who are uninformed!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Dawg90 said:
Thanks man, I've been wondering about that. But that means the gain is 0%, not 12% like BMW claimed. :(
You're saying that's the same as the '05 330i? I can't remember.

Maybe I should check Vehix.com.

Edit: Yeah, you were right. Same exact rating. But this is assuming a manual transmission. Could it be better with the automatic than it was before? I didn't look at that one.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
RichReg said:
You're saying that's the same as the '05 330i? I can't remember.

Maybe I should check Vehix.com.

Edit: Yeah, you were right. Same exact rating. But this is assuming a manual transmission. Could it be better with the automatic than it was before? I didn't look at that one.
I recall reading somewhere that Valvetronic either optimizes power output or optimizes fuel efficiency, or a combination of both. For example, the 4.4 liter V8 saw a ~12% power boost and a 14% fuel efficiency increase. Looks like, in order to boost HP up to 255, BMW sacrificed fuel effciency benefits of Valvetronic.

I wonder what type of EPA numbers the 325i in U.S. trim would get.

·
Registered
45 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Gray Davis signed legislation in 2002 (I believe) establishing California-only emissions and fuel efficiency standards which were much stricter than anywhere else in the Country.

PLUS, the Governor appoints CARB members!
Granted, I will enjoy my 3-liter 325!

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
The HACK said:
I recall reading somewhere that Valvetronic either optimizes power output or optimizes fuel efficiency, or a combination of both. For example, the 4.4 liter V8 saw a ~12% power boost and a 14% fuel efficiency increase. Looks like, in order to boost HP up to 255, BMW sacrificed fuel effciency benefits of Valvetronic.

I wonder what type of EPA numbers the 325i in U.S. trim would get.
The BMW press releases quite specifically said both power gains and 12% fuel efficiency gains, and the European models show such a gain.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts