BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So I have a 2012 X5 xDrive50i with the factory 19" 335 style wheels. Just upgraded to the OEM 375 style 20" staggered wheels.

Here's the question - do all fender flares for the E70s fit all versions? I bought some on eBay and went to install them today and they didn't fit worth a damn. You could probably make them work, however I only tried the driver-side rear and had to crank down REALLY hard to get it to fit, and had to heat it up. And it was torqued so hard to try and make it fit that the insertion clips wouldn't even stay. I kinda assumed it was just because its a cheap chinese mold sold on ebay...

The following has already been asked to the seller, which they weren't really able to give me a straight answer.

Looked at the eBay listing and it said for vehicles with 20" and 21" wheels ONLY. What does it mean by "only"? It doesn't fit vehicles with 19" factory wheels? Biggest reason I'm asking is does this imply that vehicles that came with 19s maybe have lightly tweaked fenders that the extensions won't fit maybe? Actually says this on most of the listings. But I thought maybe it was referencing the fact that the flare extensions look rediculous on 19s (opinion). Listing also said won't fit vehicles with running boards... which I didn't see until after the fact... and surprise, I have running boards. But don't see why its relevant since the flare wasn't even shaped even close to mine... So again, do vehicles with factory 19s have slightly different fender shapes?

Then the ultimate question... where are people buying there flare extensions that upgraded from vehicles with 19s (and maybe had running boards)?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Looking at the parts diagram...#11 (rear wheel arch) has several options depending on if you have the 20" wheels (extended wheel arches) or not:

But then...when you pull up the rear fender diagrams and look at all of the e70 models that use the same part (click the blue "i")...it lists all of the e70 models (pre LCI and LCI) as using the same rear fenders and wheel well liners. So I would presume that the extended wheel arches are to accommodate the width of the 20" wheel options:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Word. Same info I found, and from same site too! Lol. But yeah, to me it indicates that they do have different flares (obviously, extended vs standard) but doesn't indicate anything about fitting different bodies or anything. Suggesting that both should fit all vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nobody? Really?

Maybe I'm just impatient. But I know everyone and their mom put fender flare extensions on their rigs. Just curious to what people did or if they had the same issues I did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually got my new wheels mounted today. Doesn't look bad without the flare extensions. And they don't really stick out further than the stock flares like some people suggest. My image only shows it by millimeters and it only looks that way due to the angle. From the back, its straight up and down.

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

Would still like the info regarding my original post though...:dunno:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,121 Posts
Actually not a common mod....

Mine has 19s, square. Didn't feel the need to flare...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually not a common mod....

Mine has 19s, square. Didn't feel the need to flare...
Its a very common mod for people who upgrade to 20s / wider OEM wheels.

19s look horrible with the flare extensions (my opinion, as well as others, but still just opinion)

I can find about 20 threads on people upgrading the extensions with 20s, but that isn't what matters here.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Actually got my new wheels mounted today. Doesn't look bad without the flare extensions. And they don't really stick out further than the stock flares like some people suggest. My image only shows it by millimeters and it only looks that way due to the angle. From the back, its straight up and down.

View attachment 580751

View attachment 580752

View attachment 580753

Would still like the info regarding my original post though...:dunno:
Hey there, techsavy...I could not AGREE with you more... I think the front wheels look perfect without the flares, the back wheels could use a bit of fender flare, but not as much as provided with the fender flares. Here is a quick pic of my '07 with 20" 469M wheel on front passenger side.
...forgive me for missing foglamp...another project on the to-do list ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought these a week ago. I have a 2011 35d that came with stock 19's. They fit perfect. Now I have 21" 215

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401054480180

1 - 10 of 10 Posts