1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sad Sad day.... http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=398104

Fast Pass Car Crashes
August 2nd, 2006 @ 3:55pm
(KSL News) -- A serious crash marred the final day of a big road rally through Utah.

The cars started their event at Miller Sportspark in Tooele on Monday. The rare cars have been touring national parks and cities in Utah as part of the event.

For the final day, drivers raced down a closed section of highway to see how fast their cars could really go. That's when one of them crashed.

The driver was flown to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center with serious injuries.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if their is an issue with the cars aerodynamics or ability to generate down-force at high speeds. It's just interesting that this is the second high speed crash of the ENZO in about 5 months. I understand its alot of car... more than I can handle without a doubt... but that this was likely a straight line high-speed attempt on a flat road, I just don't understand why or how he crashed, let alone that prick in California (even though he was drunk, the car may have been airborne at some point). Maybe a tire pressure issue at the least, but I find that really unlikely and am leaning toward a tendency for high speed instability of the car.

Any more info? Anyone else with any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
346 Posts
wheel-man said:
Let me be the first with the obligatory "that'll buff right out".

Hope the driver's OK. I was wondering the same as you - that's two in 6 months or so. Have there been similar accidents elsewhere? Europe?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some more details - Sorry, maybe he didn't walk away from it.

He was going close to 200mph, and hit a bump in the road that sent him airborne. The car rolled 7 times and was flat as a pancake. Fortunetly he was wearing a helmet. He has cracked vertebrae in his neck and back, 4 broken ribs, broken sternum, some broken fingers, and the only surgery he made need is on his thumb. Nothing life threatening.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
wheel-man said:
Hmm... I wonder if their is an issue with the cars aerodynamics or ability to generate down-force at high speeds. It's just interesting that this is the second high speed crash of the ENZO in about 5 months. I understand its alot of car... more than I can handle without a doubt... but that this was likely a straight line high-speed attempt on a flat road, I just don't understand why or how he crashed, let alone that prick in California (even though he was drunk, the car may have been airborne at some point). Maybe a tire pressure issue at the least, but I find that really unlikely and am leaning toward a tendency for high speed instability of the car.

I don't think so. I'm voting for driver error. Enzo (or Carrera GT or any other ultra fast exotic car) is a serious driving machine. There's no room for error. I've never heard of the driver before, nor I know his driving history. But this one looks like another he-lost-the-control-due-to-high-speed accident, i.e. he couldn't cope with mid-engine, RWD, 600+ hp.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Poor car.

If you are going to risk you life to go that fast a a public road you take your chances.

They should have inspected the road and warned the drivers of the road conditions and any problem areas IMO.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
I don't think so. I'm voting for driver error. Enzo (or Carrera GT or any other ultra fast exotic car) is a serious driving machine. There's no room for error. I've never heard of the driver before, nor I know his driving history. But this one looks like another he-lost-the-control-due-to-high-speed accident, i.e. he couldn't cope with mid-engine, RWD, 600+ hp.
:stupid:

This looks like another one of those money > sense situations.

100+ on a track = ok
100+ on a state highway, closed or not = not ok

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Was Dietrich driving?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Elvis530i said:
100+ on a state highway, closed or not = not ok
Um, people do it everyday on the Autobahn? A very very public highway owned by the state of .de.:dunno:

There is nothing magical about going 100, that is merely 160km/h. People in Europe do that in Ford Focus day in and day out. Simply because you can't imagine it being done doesn't mean that it isn't safe to do. Especially since you don't even have to dodge traffic in this case.

It's the driver, not the f'ing car, as the saying goes.:tsk:

The sad thing is the Enzo has quite a bit of electronics to save ham fisted drivers from themselves as well. I wonder what would have happened if it was in more "dangerous cars" sans electronics like the GT2/3.:tsk:

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Stuka said:
Um, people do it everyday on the Autobahn? A very very public highway owned by the state of .de.:dunno:
A random state (by which I meant not federal, i.e., not an interstate) highway in Utah is not exactly the Autobahn, which is constructed and maintained to allow safe high-speed driving. :rolleyes: I've been down some highways out west that are probably not safe for going that fast in a car like the Enzo.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Elvis530i said:
A random state (by which I meant not federal, i.e., not an interstate) highway in Utah is not exactly the Autobahn, which is constructed and maintained to allow safe high-speed driving. :rolleyes: I've been down some highways out west that are probably not safe for going that fast in a car like the Enzo.
And I am saying that 185mph is not a big deal with some training and cars design to do that.

People have seen it done on western interstates in the U.S. it is not a big deal.

Go ask the ED peeps, while most Autobahn surface are better than your east coast crater like "highway" that you have to pay to get on, there are many highways out west that can easily sustain that speed.

185mph in a Turbo is no biggie, let along an Enzo.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Stuka said:
there are many highways out west that can easily sustain that speed.
Yes, many, of course. But not all. Of course, we don't really know the road condition at issue here.

And, um, if you read the rest of my posts, I'm not really disagreeing with you. I chalk most of this up to driver error.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Elvis530i said:
Yes, many, of course. But not all. Of course, we don't really know the road condition at issue here.

And, um, if you read the rest of my posts, I'm not really disagreeing with you. I chalk most of this up to driver error.
:stupid: There are many secondary roads that you'll catch air at over 100mph. Once the nose is up, the possibility of flipping end over end is great. 100mph on most interstates, on the other hand, is boringly slow except for the fear of arrest.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree, 100 is nothing in a BMW. Feels like 40.

But for arguments sake, shall I return to this same stretch of highway and test it at 100 in the DINAN 5? :D Honestly, unless it was a real nasty bump, it should not have done this if indeed this was the cause. Another thought that should be considered, there were MANY high end exotics participating in this event and they also travelled on this same stretch of road at high speeds.

:dunno:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.