BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone out there can help me with this one. I brought my 07 Z4M to the dealership with 3,055 miles on the OD to fix a broken trunk lock, the A/C, install new wiper blades, and to have the tire pressure indicator re-set.

When I picked it up this morning, the car had 3,070 miles on it. I asked the customer service tech to check the incoming miles against the outgoing. Once he did, I asked him why there was 15 miles on the car. He looked at the service documents for a few seconds and then told me matter of factly that in order to set or re-set the tire pressure gauge, the car needed to be driven 11 to 15 miles.

Does anyone out there know if this is true? I've never heard of anything like this. If it is required, fine, but if not, I really don't want my car being taken out 15 miles on a joy ride. FYI - my average fuel on the electonic display was 22.8 mpg, when I picked it up it read 17.9 mpg, hmmm...
Thanks,
Cameron Frye.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Once he did, I asked him why there was 15 miles on the car. He looked at the service documents for a few seconds and then told me matter of factly that in order to set or re-set the tire pressure gauge, the car needed to be driven 11 to 15 miles.
Cameron Frye.
When I reset my tire pressure warning, I need to drive the car a few hundred feet at most.

That change in fuel mileage sure would make me think (no proof) that someone wrung the car out for a bit. I am assuming the fuel mileage was just since your last fill up and not your accumulative since the car was new, as that would have been one wild ride

EB

·
Registered
868 Posts
Needed a Demo?

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
The fuel mileage could be because they disconnected the battery for the service. The odometer reading is stored, but the resetable readings are all zeroed out.

But there is still the issue of the 15 miles.

·
My other car is faster
199 Posts
The dealer is full of s**t. Those Z4M's are prime joyride victims at dealers. It only takes a few hundred feet to set the TPM. Chalk up up to another BMW service anomaly.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Hopefully someone out there can help me with this one. I brought my 07 Z4M to the dealership with 3,055 miles on the OD to fix a broken trunk lock, the A/C, install new wiper blades, and to have the tire pressure indicator re-set.

When I picked it up this morning, the car had 3,070 miles on it. I asked the customer service tech to check the incoming miles against the outgoing. Once he did, I asked him why there was 15 miles on the car. He looked at the service documents for a few seconds and then told me matter of factly that in order to set or re-set the tire pressure gauge, the car needed to be driven 11 to 15 miles.

Does anyone out there know if this is true? I've never heard of anything like this. If it is required, fine, but if not, I really don't want my car being taken out 15 miles on a joy ride. FYI - my average fuel on the electonic display was 22.8 mpg, when I picked it up it read 17.9 mpg, hmmm...
Thanks,
Cameron Frye.
The Z4 manual doesn't mention how long is has to be driven.

You have to set up your car to go into limp mode when you leave it with someone.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
How does one do that?
I've been wanting to do this for a long time.
-Firestone and I tried awhile go trying to do it with tach and speed.
Never came to be.
This post got me interested again.

You could open a line to a sensor like the EML one.
If you pull off the connector (front of the throttle bar just above the oil filter cover)
they would see it. It will also set a fault so you have to have something to reset it like the Auto Enginuity or Peake tool.
The dealer seeing the fault may try to fix it, so they have to know what you did.
Will come up with some requirements and go from there.

You could also install a GPS tracker.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've been wanting to do this for a long time.
-Firestone and I tried awhile go trying to do it with tach and speed.
Never came to be.
This post got me interested again.

You could open a line to a sensor like the EML one.
If you pull off the connector (front of the throttle bar just above the oil filter cover)
they would see it. It will also set a fault so you have to have something to reset it like the Auto Enginuity or Peake tool.
The dealer seeing the fault may try to fix it, so they have to know what you did.
Will come up with some requirements and go from there.

You could also install a GPS tracker.
Alternatively - Never let the car out of your site!;)

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Alternatively - Never let the car out of your site!;)
I do my own work when I can and avoid going to them.
I do what you suggest when I have them reset the faults from my doings.
Now I have the Autoenginuity and probably will purchase the Peake one if it works on the Z4M. Called Dan last Friday but he was out.

But someday you may have to leave it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What dealer? I'm in NJ too.

I think you should call and get some satisfaction for this. Talk to someone above whichever SA you were dealing with. Not only did someone take it for a joyride, but the guy had the balls to lie right to your face. That is very uncool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealer is located in Denville. I just dropped it off this morning now that the AC part arrived. Should be interesting to see what happens when I pick it up today. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Would def be interested to know, since that's the closest dealer to me. Actually I work down the street from them. But I went with JMK BMW because their sales staff is much easier to work with. Good luck.

You drive that M much around rt 46 and these parts? What color/bodystyle? Maybe I'll see you on the road!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the long delay in responding. The car had three miles on it when I picked it up from the dealership.

Lately I've been on rte 46 a bit. My car is red. I've only seen about five z4M's since I picked mine up in October. Not too many out there I think.

I worked with a guy named Todd when I leased this in Denville. Good guy, no bs, very fast deal.

The 335I I bought at Park Ave in Maywood, NJ. JMK is on route 22? I think they're building a new dealership over there. Maybe I'll drop in and check them out.

·
///Mtourage
486 Posts
Sorry to hear about this! I use Bell BMW in Newton NJ.... it would be alittle drive from where you are but I can assure the service will be beyond amazing. Both my brother and I had our brakes replaced with less then 6000 miles on our cars and covered it under warranty. My borther mentioned once that his tranny was hard getting into second and with out even asking they ordered a new tranny and called to set up an appointment. Overall when ever we bring any of our BMWs there the service is beyond amazing! They only let one tech, named Rob, work on our cars and I completely turst him to take the car on test drives and what ever he needs to do. He even gave me his cell number so when ever I have a question I can just call him and get answers.... this is service!

·
Calvinball Professional
1,104 Posts
I always ask the service writer how many miles they expect to put on the car during the service, usually they say less than 1 or 2, mostly around the lot. I then ask him to please note on the ticket that they need to call me for authorization if they need to put more miles on than 1 or 2.

I get a funny look but they do it. I've never gotten any joyride mileage either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts