BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone taken a ferry while on ED. I'm in Italy right now thinking of taking a ferry from italy to spain. would save money, time, gas, and tolls. I can't find any terms and conditions on insurance issues IE the boat sank, or if the car get's dinged up from a storm or something like that? It's saturaday so can't get a hold of anyone. Nothing in my insurance says it won't cover it. but I know the insurance wasn't very clear when I was at the welt on what it covers and what it doesn't. Just wondering if anyone else had done this?

Oh and here is a pict that I just thought was so cool almost looks fake from the ice caves in Salzsburg.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,189 Posts
I've gone on ferries, short ones though, crossing a river, or traversing a lake. Non-collision damage is covered by comprehensive insurance. I would think that taking the car on the ferry is not an extraordinary condition that would be excluded from coverage. :dunno: I would not hesitate going on the ferry with my car. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
311 Posts
save ..., time, ...
A ferry saving time between Italy and Spain? I find that hard to believe.

Let's look at the best case for the ferry, which would be a trip between cities as far south as possible. In Spain, that's Barcelona. In Italy, it's Civitavecchia.

Civitavecchia - Barcelona by road: 1274 km (about 12 hours)
Civitavecchia - Barcelona by ferry: 20 hours (departs 7:00 pm, arrives 3:00 pm the next day)

Time: car wins (don't you watch Top Gear?).

About 760 miles at a conservative 21 mpg, with gas at, say, $7/gal (sorry for going Imperial on you), the car would cost about $250. Add tolls.

That ferry is about 50 EUR per car, plus about 30 EUR per person. Assuming it's two of you, that's 80 EUR one-way. $126.

Cost: ferry wins.

So I guess you have to ask whether losing most of a day stuck in the Med on a ferry and not being able to drive the car you traveled to Europe to drive... is worth $100-$200 savings.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Barcelona by road, 12 drive, 8 hours sleep = 20 Hr
By ferry = 20 Hr, including sleep

Seems like the same thing to me timewise, plus less wear and tear. True, you miss the pleasure of a 12 hour drive day, but that is the only thing you miss.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have been on holiday for 35 days now and ready for a boat ride so sleep would be really important to me. I have over 4 thousand miles on my car now. I'm not a big fan of driving in italy right now. IT SUCKS. nav kinda works and they all drive crazy not as bad as some place but for a 800 mile drive would rather not. Plus the 6 series really is not a long haul driver. Plus I plan on going to Lisbian another 800 miles past Barcelona

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Well I have been on holiday for 35 days now and ready for a boat ride so sleep would be really important to me. I have over 4 thousand miles on my car now. I'm not a big fan of driving in italy right now. IT SUCKS. nav kinda works and they all drive crazy not as bad as some place but for a 800 mile drive would rather not. Plus the 6 series really is not a long haul driver. Plus I plan on going to Lisbian another 800 miles past Barcelona
Is that where Ellen Degenerate is from? Her show is funny sometimes. :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I took two ferry rides during my 2006 ED. First one 7 hour ride from Denmark to Oslo, Norway and the return from Oslo to Kiel Germany (over night ride). I will be taking the same ferry ride next month too. I didn't care about insurance issues as either the ferry company or the BMW insurance should cover any damages.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I am sure your insurance covers ferry crossings (by licensed operators) as it's much less likely that something will happen on that journey than if driving on the road!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am sure your insurance covers ferry crossings (by licensed operators) as it's much less likely that something will happen on that journey than if driving on the road!
Another benefit for the insurance company is that in the event of a sinking, they won't have to send out a claims adjuster (total loss; easy).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts