BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know 3 things about my 1999 528i. First what is the truth about this "lifetime" transmission fluid? I have heard many different stories from it should never be changed to there is no such thing as "lifetime" I tend ot agree with there is no sucd thing as lifetime. My car has just passed the 60k mark and noticed that it shifts a bit rough into 3rd. I wanted to change the fluid but was not sure how to do it properly. I noticed a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny pan but couldnt figure out how to refill if it is a sealed tranny??? When it comes to the tranny i also prefer to have it flushed so i get completely clean fluid through out, in the pan and TC. Does anyone have an info on how i can check the level after havign it flushed to assure it is not over filled? 2) i replaced the 2 AC charcole filters under the hood and the parts people told me those were the only two filters for the AC system in the car but i have also heard about some additonl mirco filters behind the glovebox. Anyone have any info on this? 3) Can anyone tell me anything about the chaging of the gear oil in the Differential? Is it easy hard, are they any diy instructions out there? 4) I am changing the breaks and ordered a set of Pagid pads front and rear, what are you alls thoughts on those.. I think PBR is OEM, but i know the Pagid name so assumed they would be a good bet.:dunno:

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
bimmerFTA said:
Wanted to know 3 things about my 1999 528i. First what is the truth about this "lifetime" transmission fluid? I have heard many different stories from it should never be changed to there is no such thing as "lifetime" I tend ot agree with there is no sucd thing as lifetime. My car has just passed the 60k mark and noticed that it shifts a bit rough into 3rd. I wanted to change the fluid but was not sure how to do it properly. I noticed a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny pan but couldnt figure out how to refill if it is a sealed tranny??? When it comes to the tranny i also prefer to have it flushed so i get completely clean fluid through out, in the pan and TC. Does anyone have an info on how i can check the level after havign it flushed to assure it is not over filled?

You can have the fluid replaced. I would take it a local independent shop that deals with bmw's to ensure it's done correctly. If you dont mind spending more, hit the dealer

2) i replaced the 2 AC charcole filters under the hood and the parts people told me those were the only two filters for the AC system in the car but i have also heard about some additonl mirco filters behind the glovebox. Anyone have any info on this?

I am not certain of any microfilters behind the dash on the E39's, my E34 had the filter there. I do know that someitmes there is some nasty water that builds up behind the dash that can be drained.

3) Can anyone tell me anything about the chaging of the gear oil in the Differential? Is it easy hard, are they any diy instructions out there?

Again, follow the procedures on www.bmwtips.com, or hit the independent or dealer

4) I am changing the breaks and ordered a set of Pagid pads front and rear, what are you alls thoughts on those.. I think PBR is OEM, but i know the Pagid name so assumed they would be a good bet.:dunno:
Pagids are good...it's really up to you though. Everyone here will give a different opinion on pads. Friend of mine swears by AXXIS ultimates, i personally like the Mintex ones so far, i'm sure i'll try something new next time.

I'm sure some of the vets will chime in with their experiences. I do know that some work better on the 6cyls due to weight, and some are better on the V8's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.