BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an '04 x3 2.5 w/ 40k miles (CPO) that I am considering buying. I had a few questions for some of you owners...
-why mileage do people get with the 2.5? has anyone found any add-ons (New air filter, comp chip, etc..) to help mileage/hp?
-has anyone ignored the prescribed premium fuel and put regular?
-the aforementioned x3 has been on the guys lot (actual BMW dealer) for a month, and he looks like he will come down to $22,500...is this fishy or about right?

Any and all assistance is appreciated...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the thread earlier but was hoping to get a few more responses for the 2.5. I am also worried the 2.5 might not have the pep I would hope for, nothing special but enough for solid highway passing, etc..

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
I have plenty of power in my 2.5 and have had no problems in the Mountains or on the Interstate. I also hit the magic 100 MPH (limited by break in time) with lots of pedal left on the Autobahn when I did the Euro delivery. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats good to hear. It seems this would be a perfect car for headin' to the slopes, is that what your experience has shown?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
My 2.5i gets me 19-27mpg, higher if I'm not speeding over 80mph. The 2.5i is adaquate for most uses and should provide enough power, but for real "speed" I may suggest the 3.0i or at least a manual transmission. Test drive it to make sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I look forward to my test drive and will hopefully be adding a x3 to the family.
By the way, whats with Bimmer? I have seen this before, anything to it?

·
I hate doing dishes
3,009 Posts
frayller said:
Thanks for the input. I look forward to my test drive and will hopefully be adding a x3 to the family.
By the way, whats with Bimmer? I have seen this before, anything to it?
I'm not the formost authority on this, but here goes...

"Bimmer" is more or less an enthusiasts referal to a BMW car.
A "Beemer" on the other hand is refering to a 2-wheeled BMW (their motorcycles).

There are many debates on this terminology, but I believe this is correct. :D

On your purchase-
I haven't driven the 2.5 version but depending on you needs it may be just fine and get a little better mileage. With todays gas prices that is a concern. I opted for the 3.0 on my '05 because the estimates for gas mileage weren't that different but the power available was. At 70 MPH I get a good 26 mpg. Also, remember that you're already hauling 4000+ lbs. before passengers and gear. The 40 extra HP of a 3.0 can make a big difference.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
frayller said:
I found an '04 x3 2.5 w/ 40k miles (CPO) that I am considering buying. I had a few questions for some of you owners...
-why mileage do people get with the 2.5? has anyone found any add-ons (New air filter, comp chip, etc..) to help mileage/hp?
-has anyone ignored the prescribed premium fuel and put regular?
-the aforementioned x3 has been on the guys lot (actual BMW dealer) for a month, and he looks like he will come down to $22,500...is this fishy or about right?

Any and all assistance is appreciated...
All pre-owned cars are fishy. I would leave everything stock(engine stuff) and used suggested gas octane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DOes anyone actually think that dealerships are really as discriminating as they say when it comes to labeling a car CPO, or do you feel they are playing the odds and banking on the quality of the brand?

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
We had a 2.5 Step loaner for about a week and consistently got worse mileage than in our 3.0 stick for city driving. We get around 17-18mpg in ours, got around 13-14mpg in the 2.5.

Of course, we *were* flogging the 2.5 pretty hard, trying to get it to perform in a similar fashion to our 3.0, and you do have to factor in the auto tranny being maybe less efficient...

This is not meant to start a flame war, it has just been my observed experience. :dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0 ED

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
frayller said:
Thats good to hear. It seems this would be a perfect car for headin' to the slopes, is that what your experience has shown?
I spend the ski season in Colorado and the X3 has been perfect there for the past two seasons I have used it. Last year was a record for snow and I could get out of my unplowed parking lot with 18-24 " of snow without a problem. (once I got into the car:D )

My 160 and 170 length skis fit fine with the seat down.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone has been real helpful, humor me on a couple more questions..
Has anyone experienced an increase in power after breaking their X3 in? I just test drove the 3.0 and was underwhelmed, leaving me too fear wht 40 less hp would feel like? I drove without a dealer, is there some economy switch that I may have accidentally had on? I loved everything about it but this and the nearerest 2.5 too test drive is about 300 miles away.
Is there any chip or mod that can give me a significant boost in power?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
frayller said:
Has anyone experienced an increase in power after breaking their X3 in? I just test drove the 3.0 and was underwhelmed, leaving me too fear wht 40 less hp would feel like? I drove without a dealer, is there some economy switch that I may have accidentally had on? I loved everything about it but this and the nearerest 2.5 too test drive is about 300 miles away.
Well, there's never an economy switch except in the M5. If you're flooring the gas to kickdown (flooring it) and still not finding enough power, then I think a 2007 X3 is for you. If it's a response issue, driving the automatic transmission in SD (sport mode) does give more spirited transmission response. There aren't many tried-and-true methods to significantly increase power. I don't know......maybe something from Dinan could alter the DME for minimal power gains. However, it's an SAV so don't expect acceleration times to match a sports sedan or coupe. There's an X5 4.4i and 4.8is for that.

·
California boy in Canada
638 Posts
We test drove both the 2.5 and the 3.0 before buying ours, and frankly felt there was little difference between the two in 90% of driving situations. The 2.5 has plenty of get up and go in the city and cruises easily on the highway, in fact I routinely take a low speed (90kph) curve on the highway on my way to work at 190kph (115mph) just for fun and the performance is fine.

The only time you will find a difference between the two is if you're drag racing with your foot to the floor. The 3.0 will pull a little better once you hit about 80kph (50mph), otherwise they feel about the same.

If you're thinking X5, you'll need t step up to 4.4 before you see superior straight line acceleration to the X3, but you sacrifice handling and driving feel with the X5 (we have a 4.4 X5 as well, and I prefer driving the X3 for fun factor).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Brent P said:
The only time you will find a difference between the two is if you're drag racing with your foot to the floor.
My experience has been different. I own a 3.0 and drove a 2.5 while mine was in the shop for an oil change and inspection - it was like night and day. The 3.0 had MUCH more pickup driving around the city than the 2.5, which felt more like my old Subaru Forrester.

·
Registered
52 Posts
frayller said:
The regular Drive mode of BMW's steptronic is geared for smooth, normal driving. It may seem slow or unresponsive to some but that's what it's designed for, smooth shifting and gradual buildup of power. Sport Drive improves the urgency of transmission changes but for really spirited driving, you need to use the Manual mode. Then you can rev up the engine and leave other cars behind. I'm mostly in Manual for scooting in and out of traffic, and it never fails to impress me. When I'm lazy and just out for a relaxing drive, I leave it in Drive. Use the mode appropriate for your driving needs and you won't be disappointed.

blueX3

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
blueX3 said:
The regular Drive mode of BMW's steptronic is geared for smooth, normal driving. It may seem slow or unresponsive to some but that's what it's designed for, smooth shifting and gradual buildup of power. Sport Drive improves the urgency of transmission changes but for really spirited driving, you need to use the Manual mode. Then you can rev up the engine and leave other cars behind. I'm mostly in Manual for scooting in and out of traffic, and it never fails to impress me.
I think SD is just as good as manual, the latter just allows me higher rpm downshifts and such. SD holds gears just like the manual when driven very aggressively. Manual mode upshifts for you at or before the redline anyways.

Read attachment if you have time. It's the 6AT for the 5-series, but I believe our 5AT works very similarly.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts