Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, all the big stuff is out of the way. 2008 535xi with 193,000 miles

Couple issues left

1 - drivers seat rear power switch does not work. Seat is almost level but would still like it to work

2 - oil level problem. When I first check the oil the level is full. Then a couple minutes later it is down 2 bars. The longer I drive the lower it goes. Every 30 mi utes of driving drops a bar. Restart the car next day and it’s full again and the process starts over.

3 - speakers suck, radio is fine but through the aux cord there are a ton of crackles

4 - rain sensing wipers don’t work. Always on high when I have the air wipers on

5- cosmetic issues, A pillar on drivers side has had a cigarette burn since I got the car in 2010 and the black rubber coating on the steering wheel by the buttons looks awful

6 - rear diff fluid, the only fluid still original to the car. Not sure how to drain it

That’s it. Fix all that and car will be as good as new. Any insights appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,216 Posts
6 - rear diff fluid, the only fluid still original to the car. Not sure how to drain it

You need a cheapie fluid pump. I used the $10 one that fits on the liter/quart bottle. It has two size hoses that attach to the pump body - one for the small bottle and a longer hose for like a gallon bottle. Route the hose into the differential though the filler plug and pump away. Pump it all into a pan and pour that into a bottle. When you get to as much as the specs say it holds, you are done...as I recall that was about a liter. Now fill it up.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If it is like my car, there is no drain plug. Just a single plug. As stated prior, suck out the fluid with a hand pump, pump new fluid in.

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
lol i admire your optimistic view

owning a bmw.. there is no "done"

But you said all the big stuff.. so... i guess ill give you a break

owning a bmw is like committing to a cult of maintenance

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
lol i admire your optimistic view

owning a bmw.. there is no "done"

But you said all the big stuff.. so... i guess ill give you a break

owning a bmw is like committing to a cult of maintenance
Yeah. More like "done for now". On the other hand, the longer you own a car, the greater the likely hood it will need repairs.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yeah. More like "done for now". On the other hand, the longer you own a car, the greater the likely hood it will need repairs.
It's not really about a BMW, in my opinion. It's more about newer technologies that employ a lot of fail prone electronics and other "delicate" components. As far as leaks go, it's all mostly relative to power of the engine. More power? More leaks in less time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts