BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: About a week ago my A/C stopped blowing cold air and then shortly afterward developed a mind of its own for fan speed. It does not matter if it is set on auto or not but the fan will work sometimes and other times it will blow full blast. Also sometimes it will change speed along with manaul fan speed adjustment and other times it won't repsond at all.

I took it in and they ran a diagnostic which apparently told them that the final stage unit is okay but they said to get the A/C levels checked and pressure tested. I did this and found out is was low on fluid but there were no leaks. The A/c unit now blows out cold air but the fan speed problem still exists.

After checking this site I see that others have had this same problem which was fixed by the final stage unit being replaced. My repair shop is telling me that it is the main control unit that is gone. This is a $1,000+ repair as the unit comes as one piece.

My question to those that have had this problem is - 'does the final stage unit defect show up where a diagnostic is run? Or is this something you just have to replace to discover if it is the problem?' I would much rather change this unit for a $100 instead of spending a $1,000.

Advice would be highly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - does running the A?C while the final stage unit is broken cause other damage

Thanks for the rapid reply and link to a supplier.

Does not changing the final stage unit cause further damage? - and - Is there any possibility that it is the actual main control on the dash?
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts