BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
I think mine failed today. The E39 DIY says its behind the radio on the passenger side. Looks like a 30 minute job. I'll be calling the dealer for the part. :(

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
OOOPS! The final stage resistor pack is located to th eright of the gas pedal. Its not hard to replace but you may need to be a bit of a contortionist. I'll post more when I do mine...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Final Stage Resistor location on E36 (1997 328ic)

I am confirming that the Final Stage Resister (a.k.a.) Final Stage Unit, or FSU is located to the right of the gas pedal on this vehicle. After removing the 3 screws on the panel under the dash and disconnecting the buzzer, I had to crawl in on my belly and turn slightly onto my left side to access it. The two mounting screws were Torx, so I would advise having one ready before crawling under...

Attachments

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
Let us know how that works out. I'm not one to trust no-name eBay parts, and I've always thought it was a bad idea to install electrical parts which are not the same as what the car was designed to use.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Will do. Their ad is compelling, but not sure whether it's BS or actual. Does make sense that technology has advanced since the 90's, though.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
It does, but that new tech has to have been designed correctly to play nicely with the rest of the car. When it comes to electrical systems, I tend to prefer keeping things how the BMW gods intended it. Maybe I've just seen too many old BMWs with all sorts of electrical gremlins, and usually it's because they have aftermarket this & that throughout the car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just replaced mine last week and it s already blown....I didn't put it where the old one was...and after doing a few research found out BMW put it in that location because it gets cooled by the air from the vents...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
OEM Hoe....
1,828 Posts
^ that's why the entire FSU unit is essentially a heat sink.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts