1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
To the OP ... please post a PICTURE of your FSU. Is it (rebranded) Sitronic?

- FAN CONTROL GOES HAYWIRE: poorly ventilated final stage resistor/final stage unit (FSR/FSU) modules that are practically sure to go haywire due to poor heat-sink design (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) ... Autopsy (1) (2) often causing the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3) & how to isolate and replace the blower motor (1) (2) (3) (4)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the place from the link I posted above and the part is actually an aftermarket FSU. Very misleading. I didn't see any indication this was an aftermarket part. They did quote me the actual BMW part at $105. Will get a pic of mine later.

·
Registered
15,903 Posts
Realoem quotes a price of $117.73. Note that the current design has 33 spines on the heat sink, and is potted with silicone.

ebaY-sourced units have been reported as being unreliable.

sidneyj,

That one appears to be an older style, in spite of being the correct part number.

·
25,199 Posts
Just to repeat, it seems if it doesn't say "Sitronic" on it, then you have the wrong replacement FSU.

Details here:
- failed blower resistor (final stage resistor) not really dead

With lots and lots of pictures of good and bad FSUs.

Probably we should start our own thread just on "what is the right brand of FSU to buy".

·
Officially Bimmerfested
219 Posts

·
Officially Bimmerfested
219 Posts
Just to repeat, it seems if it doesn't say "Sitronic" on it, then you have the wrong replacement FSU.

Details here:
- failed blower resistor (final stage resistor) not really dead

With lots and lots of pictures of good and bad FSUs.

Probably we should start our own thread just on "what is the right brand of FSU to buy".
EAC Tuning is selling the "OEM" for $2 less than the "Behr". It says "Sitronic". That was 10 months ago, and now I think it went bad already. :tsk:

·
25,199 Posts
It would be beneficial if folks posted to a single thread a photo of the label on their replacement FSU so that we can better categorize which are good and which to avoid.

- What is the right brand of BMW E39 FSU (aka FSR) to purchase (1) (2)

·
Officially Bimmerfested
219 Posts
It would be beneficial if folks posted to a single thread a photo of the label on their replacement FSU so that we can better categorize which are good and which to avoid.

- What is the right brand of BMW E39 FSU (aka FSR) to purchase (1) (2)
Will do. Just haven't taken it out.

·
25,199 Posts
Will do. Just haven't taken it out.
Thanks. Most people ask questions and then leave. Some promise to take pictures and post them - but most of those people don't. I'm not sure why, but they just don't.

So, it helps us a lot if people post a picture of the labels on the good and bad FSUs as you can see in the threads I referenced.

·
Officially Bimmerfested
219 Posts
I guess people are busy...or have a life ? :rofl:

I've posted pictures of my caliper paint job and iPod dock, which has since corroded and I removed.

·
Officially Bimmerfested
219 Posts
Thanks. Most people ask questions and then leave. Some promise to take pictures and post them - but most of those people don't. I'm not sure why, but they just don't.

So, it helps us a lot if people post a picture of the labels on the good and bad FSUs as you can see in the threads I referenced.
Here you go. I wouldn't make an FSU with "Sitronic" on it canonical.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.