BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a clip of my 1998 528i. Stock Y-Resonator & Magnaflow muffler with Oval Tip.

Whatcha think about the sound? Eventually I will probably get rid of the Y-Res for a Dynomax Bullet res.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:thumbup: I plan on doing that soon. Probably in the spring..

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, with the Y-Res replaced by the Dynomax Bullet Res, the sound will be a bit louder and more of an aggressive "growl", but still will be coo lenough not to get me pulled over by the cops... especially in my area :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not bad, but what kind of drone is there at lower RPMs? I think I'd like that on my 530.

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not bad, but what kind of drone is there at lower RPMs? I think I'd like that on my 530.
When I cruise the streets at about 35 - 40 MPH, it has a smooth low rumble throughout and when I punch it to get moving, you get the sound that you heard when I was revving.

Sounds great on the freeway. at 65 MPH you get a nice low tone drone at 3700 PRMs...Hitting 80 MPH and on it gets a tiiiiny bit higher pitch but still sounds cool.

Cruising a parking lot at 10 -15 mph, I've had people tell me after I park "Dude I love the way your car sounds" So I take that as a good sign :thumbup:

I'll get a video up here soon of me driving past the camera as well as some footage from inside to get an idea of how it sounds from the cabin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That sounds pretty good man. I have a 99 528i with a supersprint and res. delete. After the res. was gone, made a better sound but wasn't till the CIA that made the best improvement.

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds pretty good man. I have a 99 528i with a supersprint and res. delete. After the res. was gone, made a better sound but wasn't till the CIA that made the best improvement.
Would a res delete cause issues with smoging a car?

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So all you did is add the dynomax muffler? Which dynomax is it?
OMG!!! SORRY FOR THE HUGE F-UP GUYS!!! LOL!!!

I got so caught up in the moment thinking about my upcoming Dynomax Resonator swap, that I accidentally listed my muffler as a dynomax!!!

The muffler is actually a Magnaflow Street Series 14834

SORRY AGAIN GUYS!! :eek:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I like it. I plan on doing this sometime next year. I am up in the air as to what to do with the resonator. I will probably end up leaving it as I am afraid of losing torque and do not want a loud sound at all. Did you get the cat-back system or just a muffler? If you got the cat-back, please let me know if you notice a slight improvement in MPG and lower end response. Thanks.

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it. I plan on doing this sometime next year. I am up in the air as to what to do with the resonator. I will probably end up leaving it as I am afraid of losing torque and do not want a loud sound at all. Did you get the cat-back system or just a muffler? If you got the cat-back, please let me know if you notice a slight improvement in MPG and lower end response. Thanks.
No Just the muffler.... everything else is stock

·
Be american, get a bimmer
640 Posts
hmmmm.... sounds interesting

im thinking doing it after the winter, how much in parts and labor did u pay to get it installed?

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmmm.... sounds interesting

im thinking doing it after the winter, how much in parts and labor did u pay to get it installed?
It cost me around $300 parts & Labor. (The muffler was around $230.00)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts