Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an agonizing wait of 7 weeks and 3 days, I finally took re-delivery of my 335i convertible yesterday evening!:thumbup:

The car made it to Newark about three weeks after I dropped it off at Harms in Munich, but it sat in customs for ten days and then at the VPC for three weeks while they fixed a scratch on my front bumper. Joern Esser at Passport BMW must have sensed that I was getting antsy, so he arranged for the car to be turned around to me within a few hours after it got to the dealership. It was great driving the car with the top down yesterday evening. It was a terrific day in the Washington DC area (temperature in the upper 70's and low humidity) and that made the drive home more pleasurable.

Now I have to read the driver's manual so that I can figure out how to program the garage door opener, the radio, the car seats, etc. I think that I can handle the job!:bigpimp:

CarSwami

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
295 Posts
Glad to hear it! I'm in a similar situation - now 7 weeks from dropoff. I just learned that my front bumper required replacement. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
171 Posts
CarSwami: Congrats on re-delivery. Isn't it great? How about a few pics of the reunion?

GupplyFlyer: Sorry to hear you don't have yours yet. Any word when? I've lost track. Are you doing South Carolina/PDC pickup? Something wrong with the car?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
GupplyFlyer: Sorry to hear you don't have yours yet. Any word when? I've lost track. Are you doing South Carolina/PDC pickup? Something wrong with the car?
7/9 according to my CA. Nothing special here, no damage, Live in CO, but I did drop in Vienna! It took 3 weeks to find its way onto a boat. 9 weeks.......arggghhhh!

Erik

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
295 Posts
Live in CO, but I did drop in Vienna! It took 3 weeks to find its way onto a boat.

Erik
I gotta horn in here again. I dropped in Vienna as well. Took 10 days to make it to port. I guess I expected extra time built in though with the non-Munich drop.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congrats CarSwami!! Yes it has been great weather in DC area - am sure enjoying it. I had to shamelessly not drive my new 535xi and was riding aroung in my SLK with the top down.

Guppyflyer - I sure hope that you get your car soon!!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I gotta horn in here again. I dropped in Vienna as well. Took 10 days to make it to port. I guess I expected extra time built in though with the non-Munich drop.
It's all luck of the draw as to when the truck leaves. If you're lucky you drop-off and your car is on the truck the next day. I probably just missed a truck. No complaints here......just missing our new ride.

Erik

Thanks [email protected] ..... it'll be here soon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Now the Fun Begins....

CarSwami,
Congrats on the redelivery.
Now, the fun begins.... Happy Motoring!

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All

Yes, it is great to have the car back after a prolonged absence. I took her for a spin yesterday morning and it was great driving weather again. But thunderstorms rolled in yesterday afternoon, so she spent the rest of the day in the garage! But I did activate the Sirius satellite radio subscription and program the garage door opener.

Guppyflyer, I'm sorry to hear that you are still waiting for re-delivery. I know how painful it can be and my sympathies are with you.

I will try to figure out how to post pictures over the weekend, and then post a few of my ED as well.

By the way, I've got a question for the tech gurus. Here is the problem: I've got a two car garage that has one garage door opener. The garage door opener uses rolling code, so I had to push a reset button on the opener itself when I programmed the garage door button in my 335i convertible yesterday. But when I drove out in my Mercedes ML430 this morning, I found out that the garage door opener in the Mercedes no longer opens the garage. There must be a way to program the same code into two vehicles, so any help will be greatly appreciated! By the way, if anyone is wondering why I did not drive to work in the 335i today, it is because the weather forcast is for more thunderstorms and possibly even hail here today. No way am I exposing my new baby to weather like that!

CarSwami

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
By the way, I've got a question for the tech gurus. Here is the problem: I've got a two car garage that has one garage door opener. The garage door opener uses rolling code, so I had to push a reset button on the opener itself when I programmed the garage door button in my 335i convertible yesterday. But when I drove out in my Mercedes ML430 this morning, I found out that the garage door opener in the Mercedes no longer opens the garage. There must be a way to program the same code into two vehicles, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

CarSwami
Congrats on the re-delivery, Swami!

BTW It would help if you posted the brand of your opener and the model... Regardless, your opener should be able to "learn" about multiple remotes. When you reset the opener, all remotes are dropped from the memory and need to be "re-introduced" to the system.

Good luck!

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bimmer fam: You have a good point regarding the make and model number of the garage door opener! I know that it is a Sears Craftsman opener, but I'll have to look up the number when I get home this evening.

I guess my confusion stems from the fact that both my BMW and Mercedes owner's manuals tell me that I have to push the reset button on the garage door opener (because of the rolling code employed by it) in order to program the remote button in the car. If true, then everytime I program one car, the other's programming is erased! I'm sure that there must be a way around this little Catch-22!

CarSwami

·
Registered
171 Posts
There must be a way to program the same code into two vehicles, so any help will be greatly appreciated!
I'm not familiar with the MB programming instructions, but it has been the same on my Acura, Infiniti, GMC, Toyota and BMW.

I would bet the problem is that you pressed the 'reset' button on the garage door opener itself. This totally resets the rolling code and nullifies any prior 'matings' with the garage door opener. Now that your BMW is programmed, run through the MB programming instructions again without hitting the 'reset' button on the opener motor. There should be a 'program' or 'learn' button on the opener instead.

The process has been nearly the same on all my vehicles in the past 5 years....

1. Hold the handheld transmitter near the in-car transmitter. Press and hold the handheld button and the in-car button to be programmed. This will usually result in a solid light due to rolling code.
2. Press the 'learn' or 'program' button on the garage door opener unit.
3. Within 30 seconds, press the desired in-car button 3 times.
4. The car button should now be programmed for the rolling code.

Again...I bet the problem was hitting the 'reset' on the door opener. It changes the rolling code encryption algorithm so any previously programmed cars won't work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
bimmer fam: You have a good point regarding the make and model number of the garage door opener! I know that it is a Sears Craftsman opener, but I'll have to look up the number when I get home this evening.

I guess my confusion stems from the fact that both my BMW and Mercedes owner's manuals tell me that I have to push the reset button on the garage door opener (because of the rolling code employed by it) in order to program the remote button in the car. If true, then everytime I program one car, the other's programming is erased! I'm sure that there must be a way around this little Catch-22!

CarSwami
+1 on what fszatko posted... You should be able to program the second remote without resetting the system again.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I did hit the reset button on the garage door opener itself, so what you are suggesting makes sense. I will do what you suggested and hopefully it will all work well!

CarSwami

·
Registered
725 Posts
CarSwami - Great to hear you got your car. Sounds like guppyflyer is still waiting for his car, sorry guppyflyer. It's too bad all of us May 4th ED'er couldn't have met at the ED center for a group photo.

Good luck with your new car CarSwami.

Red

·
Bayerische Motoren Werke
1,002 Posts
Congrats! We got ours back at the PC this past Thursday. Will post some pictures and a report. It was an unbelievable experience. Looks like were waiting on you guppyflyer.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Sounds like guppyflyer is still waiting for his car, sorry guppyflyer. It's too bad all of us May 4th ED'er couldn't have met at the ED center for a group photo.
Red
Looks like were waiting on you guppyflyer.
I'm starting to feel like the smallest kid in the family; the one everyone has to stop and wait for! :cry: Heck, you did PCD as well, and you still got yours before mine. :dunno:

Red, it would have been great to have a photo with all of the May 4th crowd. Has there been a day since that had such a large number of 'fest deliveries?

Erik

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any word on when you will get your car, guppyflyer? I'm feeling for you man.

CarSwami

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Any word on when you will get your car, guppyflyer? I'm feeling for you man.

CarSwami
Supposed to be Monday........I'll believe it when I see it. I'm in NoVA as we speak......can I come over and take yours for a spin? :bigpimp:

Erik

1 - 20 of 20 Posts