BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is unusual because there are no Mini dealers in Texas yet, closest one is in New Orleans. But, this one was titled in Virginia.

It looked OK. But, I am disappointed. It looks WAY TOO BIG to be called a Mini. A letdown just like the new VW Beetle is front engine/front drive :cry:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm averaging 1 Mini sighting a day here in No. VA. And to me it definitely looks small, especially since there aren't that many small cars in the US compared to Europe, where I can imagine it being just another small hatchback. But a real good-looking and fun hatchback!

I saw a Yellow one with black roof and black stripes on the hood, and with rally-style foglights like in the old Mini, and it looked so cool! And no it didn't look like a cab.

Alas no Cooper S sightings yet though.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Teej said:
I'm averaging 1 Mini sighting a day here in No. VA. And to me it definitely looks small, especially since there aren't that many small cars in the US compared to Europe, where I can imagine it being just another small hatchback. But a real good-looking and fun hatchback!

I saw a Yellow one with black roof and black stripes on the hood, and with rally-style foglights like in the old Mini, and it looked so cool! And no it didn't look like a cab.

Alas no Cooper S sightings yet though.
It just looked MUCH larger that the old Minis that I have seen :dunno:

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
I have seen 2 or 3 in the Charlotte area. A guy and his little boy pulled in to a parking lot the other day in a red/white one. I thought it looked really cool and my g/f went so far as to ask him where/who he bought it from...

I'd take an 'S' when they're available... :thumb:

G

·
nate328Ci said:
It is unusual because there are no Mini dealers in Texas yet, closest one is in New Orleans. But, this one was titled in Virginia.

It looked OK. But, I am disappointed. It looks WAY TOO BIG to be called a Mini. A letdown just like the new VW Beetle is front engine/front drive :cry:
I think it's funny that YOU (of all people here) are taking issue with it's size.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Finally saw a Mini Cooper today

TD said:

I think it's funny that YOU (of all people here) are taking issue with it's size.
:lmao:

I care about size. I don't want a big car. It just seems that the new retro cars are traitors to the old cars. It really doesn't look like a Mini, it is so big. Whereas, the 3er doesn't really define itself as a compact car like the Mini does. The only large size change came from E30 > E36. The MINI name implies a very small car. This looked BIG.

My car is barely bigger than your car. Likely it weighs almost the same. Beat all the E36s in my class at auto-x :angel:

It just doesn't look like what I expect a MINI to be :dunno:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Chris330ci said:
I'd take an 'S' when they're available... :thumb:
I put $1000 down on an S last June. Two days after putting the deposit, my wife told me that she was pregnant. Bought the wagon. Still have the money down on the MINI, but not sure how I can justify it right now. My dealer offered me a June production slot and I asked to move down the list to August production. Dunno what I'm gonna do. It's going to make a great autox car.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
clyde325xiT said:

I put $1000 down on an S last June. Two days after putting the deposit, my wife told me that she was pregnant. Bought the wagon. Still have the money down on the MINI, but not sure how I can justify it right now. My dealer offered me a June production slot and I asked to move down the list to August production. Dunno what I'm gonna do. It's going to make a great autox car.
If you want an Auto-X car, you shouln't buy a new Mini. Get an old Miata and modify it a lot for MUCH less money.

Look into the Ford Focus SVT and save a few grand if you want new...

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
On paper, it seems pretty small. Comparable to a mid 80s Civic hatchback in length, but taller and wider. I've only seen 2 on the road, amazingly enough, and Nate is right, they look BIG. Of course a old-Mini-sized car will never make it on US roads (safety regs) or in the US market. Having been in several Kei cars in Japan (about the size of old Minis), I would NEVER wanna be driving in one on LA freeways.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
clyde325xiT said:

I agree with Nate, for an auto-x car you should check out an old Miata or maybe CRX.

For new, I wouldn't go with the Focus SVT, however. It has no LSD! The Sentra Spec-V has plenty more room, is also a 6-speed, and has the legendary HELICAL LSD. Only the Spec-V and the late Integra Type-R have such a differential. :thumb:

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
We test drove a Cooper S on Sat... only a quick 5 min test. We're going back tonight to get a longer test drive... All I gotta say is Fantastic! A guy that did the test drive right before us got out with a huge smile and after our drive, my girlfriend said "now I know why that guy was smiling"

As for size -- inside the front is plenty roomy -- only real problem is rear legroom -- it can be a bit tight behind the driver if they're taller than 5 foot 10...

We went on a whim -- my girlfriend is looking for a car and will probably decide on which one in the next 2 weeks. She had mostly been looking at a Passat, G35, Highlander or A4. But after driving the Mini, I think she changed her mind -- so we're going back tonight for another drive to see if she can live with the smaller size.

The dealer we went to still had one Cooper S avail for June Delivery(with no options). They're taking orders for July production with an August delivery. We'll see...

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:

If you want an Auto-X car, you shouln't buy a new Mini. Get an old Miata and modify it a lot for MUCH less money.

Look into the Ford Focus SVT and save a few grand if you want new...
I've been trying to talk my brother into selling me his 1991 Miata for a transformation into an autocross car, but no luck yet. If I buy the MINI, it won't be an autocross only car (at least not for a few years), but it will probably be more fun and competitive than my wagon ever could be :D, and that's the point. Also, getting the MINI would mean that I could finally get rid of my wife's Altima by putting her into the wagon. Then if I could just get that damn Buick (shudder) turned into a minivan, I'd be set.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mystikal said:

For new, I wouldn't go with the Focus SVT, however. It has no LSD! The Sentra Spec-V has plenty more room, is also a 6-speed, and has the legendary HELICAL LSD. Only the Spec-V and the late Integra Type-R have such a differential. :thumb:
It doesn't have an LSD! :yikes:

I agree, the ITR is great :bigpimp:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts