BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· JDM killer
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to visit a family member in the hospital and when I arrived there was no one parked along the back wall. I know I can't be the only one here that doesn't like to park near (honestly) cheaper cars for fear of door dings or I will find parking next to another BMW. I park and walk into the hospital. About an hour and a half later I walk back to the car to find a wall of bimmers and I thought to myself "I wonder if they have the same pet peves as me?" My question to all of you is do you have the same pet peves as me? (park next to other bimmers or in the far back where no one park)

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App

Attachments

· Registered
595 Posts
That's awesome. And no your not the only one. I tend to park far away/beside bimmers or beside other nice cars cause people are idiots, and my door has several dings on it.

· Registered
646 Posts
Haha nice. I try and park as far away from others as possible so idiots won't ding my car. I also try and find an end space and park over the line so when someone parks next to me even if they park close to the line they will be farther away from my car. So in that pic you posted I would have parked where that blue e46 convertible parked, but pulled as close to the wall as I could or parked where that X5 is and parked as close to the pole as I could. I would have also backed into both spots, but that is more of a personal preference to being able to pull straight out.

You are not alone you will find many like minded people on the forum and also with other car brands too. When I used to travel for work (when I was in Raleigh NC) I would always park on the 2nd or 3rd highest level (top level was exposed to the sun) at the airport. Those levels tended to be the emptiest as most people wanted to be close to the ground floor. I would also go for certain spaces on the ends or next to walls or poles. There would often be other BMWs, Porsches, Vettes, Benzs and Audis parked in similar spaces on those levels. It was kinda funny cause early in the morning those levels were fairly empty, if you looked around you would see all these "safer" spaces filled with those cars and most of the regular middle spaces would be empty.

I also park way way far out there when I go to big shopping center parking lots like target. The weird thing is there is always that person who parks right next to me when there are literally 20 open spaces around me. And when that happens its never someone who takes care of their car. The people who take care of their car might park way out there too, but they don't park right next to you. It seems to be happening more often lately. Now I am thinking about being that person who takes up two spaces instead of one (I am talking about in the far away lot in big shopping centers that never fill up).

· Registered
168 Posts
Yeah. I am one of those also. I have also seen the same trend where I park, go inside and then come out to a line or other BMW's.

My trick... I park crooked on the spot. That way the other car has to park a certain distance from the corner of the car. Which usually results in the sort area being a good distance away.

· Manualaholic
1,988 Posts
Yeah. I am one of those also. I have also seen the same trend where I park, go inside and then come out to a line or other BMW's.

My trick... I park crooked on the spot. That way the other car has to park a certain distance from the corner of the car. Which usually results in the sort area being a good distance away.
I'm with everyone here- I stay far away from other cars and tend to park close to other BMWs. I will, however, stay away from BMWs that don't look well cared for, as they will have as much respect for any other car (BMW or not) as they do theirs. Even within brands you have to be selective- there are people that buy only for the badge/status symbol.

I am not a fan of parking crooked, because that's when people start judging you and assuming you can't drive or park worth a crap. It also invites people to park like an idiot right next to you and purposely block your door.

Sent from my Droid Incredible

· Registered
66 Posts
I park the same. Today is lawn maintenance day at work, so I parked far away from any grass, trees, shrubs, etc. in addition to other vehicles. Don't want some unaware guy weedwacking sand or small debris into my paint. On a side note, you have to still be careful parking next to nicer cars.... My wife and I work in the same office building with a man who drives a red Maserati coupe to work a few times a week. This is an older, eccentric fellow, but friendly in person. My wife watched him arrive one day, park, slam his Maserati door OPEN, which dinged the car next to him. She said he sat there for a minute, closed his door, left that parking space and parked somewhere else down the line. So, "nicer" vehicles have idiots behind the wheel too. Interestingly, this guy has a special parking space that only he is permitted to be in. I personally do not see how anyone could be so callous as to swing their door into someone else's car - and hard enough to ding it! - but they do, and that is why I park far away too. I'm finding out more and more that it is just hard to have nice things and keep them conditioned well; other people make it so hard.

· Registered
168 Posts
I'm with everyone here- I stay far away from other cars and tend to park close to other BMWs. I will, however, stay away from BMWs that don't look well cared for, as they will have as much respect for any other car (BMW or not) as they do theirs. Even within brands you have to be selective- there are people that buy only for the badge/status symbol.

I am not a fan of parking crooked, because that's when people start judging you and assuming you can't drive or park worth a crap. It also invites people to park like an idiot right next to you and purposely block your door.

Sent from my Droid Incredible
Yeah, I agree. It's a gamble. I had a 1 ton pickup close me in with my previous car. So it's not fool proof.

· Registered
168 Posts
Another question is "how many of us have walked back out to the car to re-park because of some gut feeling that your spot is not ideal?"

I have done it a few times and the wife just looks at me and rolls her eyes!

· Registered
1,746 Posts
excellent.

it was like this every morning until I got my own spot in the office basement.

(to the left were the Bentley's, Ferrari's and Maserati's - didn't snap a picture as two GT-R's contaminated the view - red and gunmetal grey)

· Registered
498 Posts
Many people have cars strictly for point a to b transportation, they have no care or joy in driving. My car has too many scuffs and scratches on my bumper from idiots who are inconsiderate and if i could i would exterminate them all. Point in case i wanted to smash his face in.

Attachments

· Registered
646 Posts
Unfortunately in the NY metropolitan area this stuff is pretty common with combo of bad drivers and lack of parking. Also some people even if they are decent drivers will try and squeeze into a space because parking is so limited. Bumper protectors are becoming more popular, but I still don't trust people enough to bring my car down to NYC.

I can't tell you how many times I have looked out my window and seen people park by feel even when the spot is plenty big. And its usually not a light tap to the car behind or in front of them.

Attachments

· Registered
498 Posts
true to all the above, this ahole was so close to me because he was trying not to block a driveway even though he was behind the sign that states NO PARKING so he still got a ticket which was some sweet karma for me.

· Registered
60 Posts
...like target. The weird thing is there is always that person who parks right next to me when there are literally 20 open spaces around me. And when that happens its never someone who takes care of their car.
I want to apologize to all of you. I now know your pain. With 2 exceptions I've always owned beaters. Whether it was an old Ramcharger, Suburban, or Jeep, most recently an old Caprice police car, I was that guy that would deliberately park next to the most expensive car in the lot just because I could and I knew it would bother that person. When I bought my first new truck (2003 Avalanche 2500) I began to notice the dents and dings and it began to bother me. I sold that truck in 2005 because of the gas prices and my commute went from 5 miles to 65 miles each way and picked up a Cavalier (again a beater). Now that I'm back into a decent car I'm again taking notice of where I park and who's around (and my paint isn't even that good!).

Again, please accept the apologies of a former deliberate parker.:angel:

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Im in SoCal and everyone and their ****ty driving mommas has a BMW who don't give a crap what they drive regardless. I park wherever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.