Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the 04 everytime the compressor is turned on I would get this whinning sound. Looks like the air is out due to my wife's noticing the "no air" situation. And I notice now a different much less smoother sound coming from the compressor. Never the less...I can now change it out for one I have on the shelf. However, it's probably best that I take it to the shop to have it filled after the compressor replacement. Any insights to be added crew?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
not getting any cold air...all out...cant let it go into the atmosphere, that's illegal

There is still refrigerant in it, which you'd find the first time you cracked open the lines.

Proper filling is done by weight added, not by pressure (which is temperature dependent). So take it to a shop for both unless you want to further sicken Gaia.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is still refrigerant in it, which you'd find the first time you cracked open the lines.

Proper filling is done by weight added, not by pressure (which is temperature dependent). So take it to a shop for both unless you want to further sicken Gaia.
Gotcha, will do

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other day compressor was replaced and charged...switched out the belt as well..I hated that compressor, when activated a whine like sound would enter the cockpit.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've found my lock lace willevacuAte and recover R134 fir free. I do my own pump down and charges, so free saves both kinds of green.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other day compressor was replaced and charged...switched out the belt as well..I hated that compressor, when activated a whine like sound would enter the cockpit.

No more whinning...can I have the old compressor checked to see if its operational? That's your que duke. 20190104_140436.jpeg

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
No more whinning...can I have the old compressor checked to see if its operational? That's your que duke. View attachment 834953

You want to see if the inoperable compressor you removed is operational? I'm lost there.

If its only issues were whining, it probably just needs bearings, in which case it is rebuildable, but no, you probably can't rebuild it without a manual. As long as the shaft spins freely, it's a decent core. Put it in a vice, spin the shaft, and listen for noises. Rebuild it next winter.

I had a Jetta years ago that the VW dealer charged, well actually overcharged, and blew the impeller to spithereens, destroying the rest of the system. That was a mess.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You want to see if the inoperable compressor you removed is operational? I'm lost there.

If its only issues were whining, it probably just needs bearings, in which case it is rebuildable, but no, you probably can't rebuild it without a manual. As long as the shaft spins freely, it's a decent core. Put it in a vice, spin the shaft, and listen for noises. Rebuild it next winter.

I had a Jetta years ago that the VW dealer charged, well actually overcharged, and blew the impeller to spithereens, destroying the rest of the system. That was a mess.
What luck...but funny...now.
Anyways...compressor spins good and is silent...maybe all I needed was a charge...it's a good backup I guess.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've found my local place will vacuum and recover R134 for free. I do my own pump down and charges, so free saves both kinds of green.
Corrected edit. Can someone flag this for a mod to correct post #7 above

Sorry about the fat finger typing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts