BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year when the guy used a powder fire extinguisher in his coupe, I removed the BMW one that I put in the Z4.
It's been sitting in a box for over a year next to my old Halon one and last night I glanced at it.
I was plannig to make an adapter for the Amerex 344T Halon one to attach to the BMW brackets.
Got up this morning and designed an adapter and the machinist created it this afternoon.
Installed it tonight and it tucks right in where you can hardly see it. Might go with the larger one in the future.

Attachments

·
tire consumer
555 Posts
Ron,
Do you know off the top of your head if the 344T would fit the stock mount in a 99z coupe? I'll probably check into it this weekend, but was wondering if you happened to know.

thanks regardless..

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron,
Do you know off the top of your head if the 344T would fit the stock mount in a 99z coupe? I'll probably check into it this weekend, but was wondering if you happened to know.

thanks regardless..
Not with out modification. If their is enough room below the two holes in the BMW bracket it might by just drilling the holes in the BMW bracket to accomodate the 344 bracket since it is shorter in length. At the time the BMW extinguisher was what we were using.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/interior/e36_fire_extinguisher_m_coupe.html

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
I've got the H3R HalGuard in red. It may be just a rebadged Amerex with a cooler looking noozle.

1. If you'd like detailed photos or measurements of the H3R and its bracket, let me know.

2. Ron, are you in the Amerex to BMW bracket business? Got one more?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the H3R HalGuard in red. It may be just a rebadged Amerex with a cooler looking noozle.

1. If you'd like detailed photos or measurements of the H3R and its bracket, let me know.

2. Ron, are you in the Amerex to BMW bracket business? Got one more?
Which one? HG100R?
That looks just like the Amerex one.
The Halon 344T in the Z4. It is the same size and uses the same bracket.

The Z3 bracket is different than the Z4 so would I would have to have a Z3 bracket.
It took the machinist just over one hour (at $50 per hour) to make the first one not counting material.
Will be making something else today and will ask him.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ron, if you wind up shopping for a replacement at some point, the H3R HalGuard are at the top of my list. Halotron 1.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm

What I'd really like is an FE-36 extinguisher, but I've yet to see one made with a handle that doesn't stick out way too far to mount on the car. :(
On the Z3 one you may just have to drill holes in the stock one See post #3 link.
On the Z4 it is just to small separate mounts so I had to bridge across with a piece and then drill the holes.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ron, if you wind up shopping for a replacement at some point, the H3R HalGuard are at the top of my list. Halotron 1.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm

What I'd really like is an FE-36 extinguisher, but I've yet to see one made with a handle that doesn't stick out way too far to mount on the car. :(
I was looking for the Halotron 1 last night but didn't come up with many places to purchase it.
Thanks for your link which has many places to buy it.

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
I held mine up to the seat again when I got home from work today. It would be fairly visible with even ideal mounting, but I don't think it would ever contact my legs, as long as I mounted it with the top towards the transmission tunnel. I had planned on rigging up the mounting cage in the trunk, but this has gotten me thinking about fabbing up a seat mount.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

·
Registered
3,358 Posts

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Why are you avoiding Halon/Halotron?
In the case of Halon, high ozone depletion potential. Not a big fan of gas in general for outdoor fires (think windy day and an underhood fire), nor in-cabin fires (I need to breathe :)). Good for the cars, not so good for the driver. Several of the racing sanctions have gone to AFFF. I tihnk NASCAR is the only sanction left still using Halon.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Aqueous Film Forming Foam. SPA, FireCharger and others have come up with mixes that handle class C fires. In the old days, AFFF was mostly only good for class A and some class B. Nowadays it's pretty common to see fire supression systems in race cars using AFFF. Still messy, but not miles away from pH of 7 like most of the dry powders; it can be cleaned up without destroying your car. Also doesn't suffocate the driver or agitate cardiac issues like Halon. In a race car, it's what I'd use; getting out alive (preferably unharmed by fire suppressant) is more important than the car. For a street car... I hope to never use the extinguisher and cabin fires (versus underhood fires) are pretty rare. Shouldn't need an integrated fire suppression system. Knock on wood. :)

1 - 20 of 128 Posts