Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought a used 2011 X3 xdrive38i, and obviously it's out of warranty.

I try to do most small maintenance/repair things myself, so haven't had any interactions with the dealership thus far.

I've noticed that there can be a bit of a delay/hesitation in the throttle when accelerating from stop. Putting it into sport mode partly remedies this. I've done some searching on the forum, and apparently this is a well-recognized issue.

I've come across some service bulletins from BMW that indicated a software update would fix this issue.

Now, is this something that I can take to an Indie mechanic to potentially do? Or is the only real option to go to the dealership and pay out of pocket to potentially update things? I'm a bit unfamiliar with the process, and not even sure if this is the type of thing that I can bring to the dealer to do (i.e. visit my local bmw dealership, show them the service bulletin, and see what it would cost for them to update it). Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all,

I recently bought a used 2011 X3 xdrive38i, and obviously it's out of warranty.

I try to do most small maintenance/repair things myself, so haven't had any interactions with the dealership thus far.

I've noticed that there can be a bit of a delay/hesitation in the throttle when accelerating from stop. Putting it into sport mode partly remedies this. I've done some searching on the forum, and apparently this is a well-recognized issue.

I've come across some service bulletins from BMW that indicated a software update would fix this issue.

Now, is this something that I can take to an Indie mechanic to potentially do? Or is the only real option to go to the dealership and pay out of pocket to potentially update things? I'm a bit unfamiliar with the process, and not even sure if this is the type of thing that I can bring to the dealer to do (i.e. visit my local bmw dealership, show them the service bulletin, and see what it would cost for them to update it). Thanks!

diy save some money:angel:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any good tutorial for flashing firmware and not software? From my understanding the only good way to get it done is at the dealership

·
got diesel?
42 Posts
Curious as to how this is done as well.
BMW here in north Texas quoted me about $220 for an update to the DME. May just go that route as I'd rather not screw anything up when it comes to this.

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
at my dealership we would charge you 1.5hrs labor to do a software update. this software update would update every module that has an update available. just bring to the dealer and ask them how much to reprogram the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at my dealership we would charge you 1.5hrs labor to do a software update. this software update would update every module that has an update available. just bring to the dealer and ask them how much to reprogram the vehicle.
Out of curiosity, what types of software updates would this include? From the limited research I've done, firmware updates for hardware components sound like they take all day to do.

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
it just brings all modules up to their latest software, it wouldnt; say update the navigation from 2015 maps to 2018 maps. and it depends on the car. your car would probably take like 2 hrs max from start to finish of programming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts