BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
ecdysiast said:
Inside 26 Lilienthalstrasse, and outside Castle Colmburg
Nice photos.... is this the castle just outside of Rothenburg?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colmberg

Castle Colmberg is quite close to Rothenburg, 19km east on the road to Ansbach. You can follow the signs to the A7 Autobahn; the road that goes from Rothenburg to Colmberg is that road (but don't get on the Autobahn).

Rothenburg, while charming, is hitting kitsch level and with a high density of tourists feels a little like Disneyland. We're glad we didn't stay there--especially because the parking places at the castle were a lot more spacious than the ones that would have been available at hotels in Rothenburg.

The castle's web site is

http://www.915-colm.german-castles.biz/

The town is quite small and has no amenities but the restaurant in the castle is very good, and an excellent German breakfast is included with the room.

Attachments

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
ecdysiast said:
Castle Colmberg is quite close to Rothenburg, 19km east on the road to Ansbach. You can follow the signs to the A7 Autobahn; the road that goes from Rothenburg to Colmberg is that road (but don't get on the Autobahn).

Rothenburg, while charming, is hitting kitsch level and with a high density of tourists feels a little like Disneyland. We're glad we didn't stay there--especially because the parking places at the castle were a lot more spacious than the ones that would have been available at hotels in Rothenburg.

The castle's web site is

http://www.915-colm.german-castles.biz/

The town is quite small and has no amenities but the restaurant in the castle is very good, and an excellent German breakfast is included with the room.
That's it! I only knew it as Castle 915-colm. I had planned to stay there if the weather had been better and I actually could have driven to Paris. :cry:

So how was it? Which room did you stay in? Knight's Room?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"So how was it? Which room did you stay in? Knight's Room?"

It's a real castle, with lots of places to shoot arrows at invaders coming up the road, double gates, battlements on the walls (you can walk on the walls). Lots of interior stairways, high ceilings, stone. Gothic chapel attached. Dim lighting (as torches would have given).

We did stay in the Knight's Room--stone outer wall, interesting heavy furniture (more like a hundred than six hundred years old). The bathroom was very new and large, with a Jacuzzi tub. Small-screen TV set, which we didn't use. In the courtyard there's a slide and swings and a sandbox for littler kids. My 8 year old loved it all--especially the 7' stuffed bear in the entry. But we couldn't figure out why there was a Model T in there, too (the only jarring note).

It was a great way to end a great trip!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts